Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2022 surgery buddies



Recommended Posts

I’m scheduled for my vertical sleeve on June 7th at Ochsner Medical Center in New Orleans 🥳
Because my BMI is 35, I only have to do 1 week liquid diet prior to my surgery date. Then 2 weeks liquid diet, followed by week 2-4 puréed diet, 1-2 month post op is soft foods, then 3 months post op is solid foods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2022 at 7:12 AM, Caryaatid said:

Hi everyone,

Have my date fixed for June 6th in Turkey. I live in Germany. I feel ok about the surgery but mentally quite insecure about the changes that need to come after that, as if I lack the confidence needed to execute all required life style changes. Anyone feels this way? :) how are you coping?

I Feel this way too. I’m starting to look at everything I eat and wonder if I will ever be able to eat it again. It is making me realize how much pleasure I truly associate with food. I need to find something else to fulfill that feeling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2022 at 4:27 AM, Laurie A said:

Amazing how each doctor says different things.. My doctor said 4 to 6 weeks..

Wow Now I feel very rushed at 10 days ! I don’t have a heavy lifting job but I am on my feet standing or walking for most of a 12 hr day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/11/2022 at 3:22 PM, acopas said:

I'm scheduled in Mexico on June 22. My mom and I are having the procedure done on the same day. I'll return to work on Monday the 27th barring any complications.

Good Luck to you both ! We are scheduled on the same day ! I will say a prayer for you both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Jessica1024 said:

I Feel this way too. I’m starting to look at everything I eat and wonder if I will ever be able to eat it again. It is making me realize how much pleasure I truly associate with food. I need to find something else to fulfill that feeling

I have a 21 day pre-op that starts on June 1, but I'm using the month of May to get used to tracking foods again. Putting things on scales, looking at macros, all the fun stuff. I'm also starting to let go of the foods that I won't carry forward with me. I've had my last Pasta meal, eaten my last ice cream, etc. I know people can still be successful with those items in their diets, but that's not my story. I recognize the addiction I have to carbs/sugars and it's all or nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Jessica1024 said:

Wow Now I feel very rushed at 10 days ! I don’t have a heavy lifting job but I am on my feet standing or walking for most of a 12 hr day

My doctor will give 4 weeks off of work, but I'll have surgery on 6/22 and return to work on 6/27. I am primarily at my desk though. I just don't know how my 3 year old is going to handle not being picked up all the time. She's under my physician's guide of "no more than 30lbs in the first 30 days", but I'm not sure I'll feel up to carrying her up a flight of stairs at daycare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, all: I started out on the April surgery buddies board. However, my Results visit with my surgeon is Monday, May 16, and I am looking for a surgery date of 6/13. School will be out, and I won't have to stress about recovering.

I'm particularly interested in reading surgery and recovery experiences. I've amassed a large amount of useful information in the short amount of time I have been here.

My surgeon's admin told me yesterday that many of his patients choose to start the liver shrinking diet 2 weeks prior to their Results visit which is about a week away. That would put me on liver shrinking eating plan for about 6 weeks which doesn't really interest me, and my nutritionist said that might be difficult to sustain. I agree.

I may try something rather modified until the 5/16 visit, and follow my doctor's instructions regarding a liquid diet and a time frame for that.

Good luck to everyone here.

PS: FTR, my Protein Shake of choice is FairLife chocolate, and I do like the Gatorade Zero Protein Drinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

19 hours ago, Mariann812 said:

Hi, all: I started out on the April surgery buddies board. However, my Results visit with my surgeon is Monday, May 16, and I am looking for a surgery date of 6/13. School will be out, and I won't have to stress about recovering.

I'm particularly interested in reading surgery and recovery experiences. I've amassed a large amount of useful information in the short amount of time I have been here.

My surgeon's admin told me yesterday that many of his patients choose to start the liver shrinking diet 2 weeks prior to their Results visit which is about a week away. That would put me on liver shrinking eating plan for about 6 weeks which doesn't really interest me, and my nutritionist said that might be difficult to sustain. I agree.

I may try something rather modified until the 5/16 visit, and follow my doctor's instructions regarding a liquid diet and a time frame for that.

Good luck to everyone here.

PS: FTR, my Protein Shake of choice is FairLife chocolate, and I do like the Gatorade Zero Protein Drinks.

I am somewhat starting mine a month early. I'm not doing the full on full liquids until I have to, but I have swapped out two meals for Protein Shakes and am doing a dinner that is a meat and vegetables only. Right now I'm also having two Snacks a day which are typically a low fat mozzarella cheese stick.

Edited by acopas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m curious… how/when did you guys get your surgery dates? I’ve been really hoping to have surgery in June because school will be out, but I’m not sure what to expect.

I’m self pay, in Virginia, and my doctors office wants me to complete 3 diet visits (my last is in May) What should I expect next? I was hoping then I would move straight into the pre op diet phase and get a surgery date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, acopas said:

I am somewhat starting mine a month early. I'm not doing the full on full liquids until I have to, but I have swapped out two meals for Protein Shakes and am doing a dinner that is a meat and vegetables only. Right now I'm also having two Snacks a day which are typically a low fat mozzarella cheese stick.

THAT is an excellent idea, and I am going to steal it! Thank you for sharing.💐

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RaisnHL- I had to complete my 6 months of medically supervised dieting with a dietician, psych eval, EDG, blood work and pre-op clearance from my PCP before they scheduled my surgery date. I was told it typically takes 6 weeks for insurance authorization so they tentatively schedule you 6 weeks out. I also had have a phone call with a financial coordinator to discuss the cost and payment of the surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, RaisnHL said:

I’m curious… how/when did you guys get your surgery dates? I’ve been really hoping to have surgery in June because school will be out, but I’m not sure what to expect.

I’m self pay, in Virginia, and my doctors office wants me to complete 3 diet visits (my last is in May) What should I expect next? I was hoping then I would move straight into the pre op diet phase and get a surgery date.

I don't have a surgery date yet. I have a Results visit on 5/16 and I hope to get a date then. I had extensive pre-procedure testing that I completed as rapidly as i could, but still, I started this process on 2/22/22 and I will be thrilled to get a 6/13 surgery date. School lets out 6/10. I was skeptical when I read that this process could take a few months, but clearly it has taken awhile in my case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Debbie Nichols

      No plans for surgery 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • amazingmimi

      I feel like I've finally gotten past the biggest hurdle. Surgery date is September 6th, the day after Labor Day, and yesterday I got my insurance approval letter. I've followed everything they've told me to do, and I've even lost 30 lbs on my own since hubby had to change his diet for diabetes. No worries now about having to do 4 weeks of the liver shrinking diet instead of 2. On my initial visit, if I had gained just 5lbs I would have had to do 4 weeks. It's getting closer. Just 2 more months to wait.
      · 1 reply
      1. NmMd

        Although the prep work took energy, I found the biggest hurdle was post-operative. The first 48 hrs were extremely uncomfortable. I did an overnight and trying to down the liquids, Tylenol, and especially the barium was rough. Thankfully though, I got away with only having to have 1 belly injection after surgery. Needless are not my thing.

    • Grace1234

      I am brand new to this my surgery is tentative for July 27 depending on insurance and I'll be have the Gastric Sleeve.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Pepper1

      I am looking for people to connect with that are 4-5 years out. Many of the support sights I go to are all newbies. And while I enjoyed that when i first had my surgery and found it useful, I am looking to exchange ideas with folks that are out a few years. I am slowly gaining weight back and losing my excitement. I don't want that!
      · 1 reply
      1. SleeverSk

        Maybe post in the forums. It's a more active areaI have noticed no one replies to status updates

    • SuziDavis

      I have a surgery date! I am getting sleeved on 8/17/2022!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×