Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2022 surgery buddies

On 06/27/2022 at 11:13, Jessica1024 said:

Yes. This is the programs guidelines. I can’t even drink clear Protein Drinks.

That is very stringent. Although, not drinking clear Protein Drinks wouldn’t bother me…I couldn’t even get a sip of those down.
My advice is always to err on the side of compliance. Too many people play fast and free with the guidelines and run into issues. You are almost there! Good for you! I found that the stricter guidelines helped me meet my hydrating liquid and Protein goals. Also, beef broth (low sodium) was a godsend for me.
Just rest for now, your stomach is still healing! ❤️

1 hour ago, Jessica1024 said:

5 days post op. I am on Clear Liquids only until June 30th. No sugar free popsicles or anything. Only room temp. ,clear decaf; sugar free clear liquids. I swear some of my stomach pain is my stomach growling. I am tired, weak and feel like I need 1 Protein Drink !. In the hospital 24 hours after surgery I was allowed 5 sips. the next day 5 sips thats it ! no ice chips NOTHING. I think my stomach is eating itself. my goal is to get up to 40 oz of Clear Liquids by June 30th. I feel so shitty I doubt thats gonna happen. Anyone else this strict ??? I was below qualifying for surgery on day of surgery due to preop diet. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. Just ranting

My post-op is pretty strict, but not this. Clear liquids for the first nine days, but we can have broths, popsicles, tea, and juices. They actually encourage sugar during this week as our calories are so low.

I did not know there were doctors who had no Protein after the operation. I would never advocate not following their rules, that just seems so strange. I have to get at least 60g per day starting the day after surgery because, she told me, that's crucial to the healing process. The one thing I would say, never be afraid to talk to your doctor and/or nutritionist and explain the difficulties you're having. I've seen that come up often on these boards and doctors have made adjustments as a result. This is clearly not an exact, one-size-fits-all science, so they may be able to do some stuff to make things a little easier for you without impeding your recovery.

I had surgery on June 20. First week was tough but feeling better now.

On 6/27/2022 at 12:22 PM, BettyR said:

I had surgery on June 20. First week was tough but feeling better now.

Congrats! I am 2 weeks post op. So sore the first week but overall feeling good 😀

How long did everyone’s pain last? I’m just day 1 post op but my incisions hurt sooo when I move

1 minute ago, JS said:

How long did everyone’s pain last? I’m just day 1 post op but my incisions hurt sooo when I move

I'm one week out today and only get a sting if I really move in the wrong way. But for the most part, the pain went away in 4-5 days. Every day was a huge improvement over the last. Day 1 was very painful. Hope you have the same positive experience.

On 06/28/2022 at 19:09, doobie31 said:

I'm one week out today and only get a sting if I really move in the wrong way. But for the most part, the pain went away in 4-5 days. Every day was a huge improvement over the last. Day 1 was very painful. Hope you have the same positive experience.

I hope so!

I guess my lunch was a little to big or I drank it a little too fast. I have an ache on my left side that's been hurting since this afternoon. No interest in having anything else since. This is my first eating-related pain or discomfort since I started (have had zero nausea). It's not fun. I'll slow down tomorrow.

Edited by doobie31

10 hours ago, doobie31 said:

I guess my lunch was a little to big or I drank it a little too fast. I have an ache on my left side that's been hurting since this afternoon. No interest in having anything else since. This is my first eating-related pain or discomfort since I started (have had zero nausea). It's not fun. I'll slow down tomorrow.

Doing okay today?

15 hours ago, JS said:

I felt pretty tender through day four. Day 5, I woke up and felt so much better. I went to work and did great. Now my only discomfort (1 week out) is just upon standing initially and when my 3 y/o or dog steps on my stomach.

On 06/29/2022 at 10:55, acopas said:

I felt pretty tender through day four. Day 5, I woke up and felt so much better. I went to work and did great. Now my only discomfort (1 week out) is just upon standing initially and when my 3 y/o or dog steps on my stomach.

Oh wow! You went to work on day 5! I totally get the stomach thing. I have a 4 year old who I keep telling about my surgery but it’s hard for them to understand.

On 6/28/2022 at 7:05 PM, JS said:

I didn't really have pain, just discomfort No pain from incisions.

6 minutes ago, SummerC said:

I didn't really have pain, just discomfort No pain from incisions.

Me too. This was so much less pain and did than I expected. I never took pain meds in the hospital or at home.