Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2022 surgery buddies

The fact that I was taken into the surgery room at 11a Wednesday and discharged from the hospital at 3p Thursday amazes me. Modern medicine is amazing. I'm very thankful to be back at home and ready for the rest of my life.

On 6/19/2022 at 5:12 PM, ShelbyLee said:

I’ll be one week post op on Tuesday! I was sleeved on 6/14 and I’m doing really well! Although I am absolutely craving Peanut Butter lol.

Hi surgery twin! I had my surgery the same day and finally advanced to full liquids from Clear Liquids this week. I feel a little more human but I am having those cravings as well! My dr’s plan has me able to eat Peanut Butter next week, I hope you are able to have some soon too!

I had surgery June 20th it’s a process pain is still here but not as much

11 hours ago, kimberlyann84 said:

Anyone else having surgery on the 27th?

My husband is.

I had my surgery on the 6th and he just got in on a cancelation.

On 6/22/2022 at 5:33 AM, Jessica1024 said:

I have no idea who you are… but when I woke up this morning I thought about you and how we were experiencing the same situation hundreds of miles apart. Makes me feel less alone… so weirdly enough. Lol. I will be thinking about you today

How did surgery go?

37 minutes ago, acopas said:

How did surgery go?

It went well. Terrible night. Gas pains are horrendous. Feels like my back is breaking and I’m having a heart attack ! And no matter what they give me I’m nauseated. Never had an ice cup or anything yet. My mouth is dry and my breath probably smells like my mouth taste. But. It’s over and only gets better from here. I guess …… how did you day go ??

This was the best thing ever! I am 9 days post op and tbh kind of feel guilty how easy my recovery has been. Dr Fuzz, my Dr, actually teaches bariatric surgeries, did the hiatal repair/vsg robotically. Honestly I read the surgery report cause I am nosey. Plus really strange to get a test result notice and find out your old tummy was checked for any and all possible underlying medical conditions. Good news everything is normal. He made sure I had all but my pain meds 10days prior to surgery so if possible I wouldn't have to go to the pharmacy. As soon as I woke up I got an antinausea patch behind my ear good for 3days. I had no pain, no gas, no nausea. I started walking asap. I went in at noon on the 13th I was discharged by 11:30am on the 14th. As my tummy heals my incisions small and a straight line. I always said I could see life before surgery but I didn't know what it would be like after. It better than I could ever dream.

34 minutes ago, Tatt said:

This was the best thing ever! I am 9 days post op and tbh kind of feel guilty how easy my recovery has been. Dr Fuzz, my Dr, actually teaches bariatric surgeries, did the hiatal repair/vsg robotically. Honestly I read the surgery report cause I am nosey. Plus really strange to get a test result notice and find out your old tummy was checked for any and all possible underlying medical conditions. Good news everything is normal. He made sure I had all but my pain meds 10days prior to surgery so if possible I wouldn't have to go to the pharmacy. As soon as I woke up I got an antinausea patch behind my ear good for 3days. I had no pain, no gas, no nausea. I started walking asap. I went in at noon on the 13th I was discharged by 11:30am on the 14th. As my tummy heals my incisions small and a straight line. I always said I could see life before surgery but I didn't know what it would be like after. It better than I could ever dream.

Congratulations!!!🎉🍾🎈🎊 to you . And best wishes on your journey!

my experience has been similar. This is without a doubt one of the best things I have EVER done for myself!

fourteen days post op and I feel like I’m 25 years younger (I’m 67).

dr. Pilati (WakeMed) ordered my meds 3 weeks prior to surgery. My hospital experience could not have been more amazing! Anti nausea patch, nerve block on both sides of abdomen, non narcotic pain meds one hour prior to surgery: I NEVER needed any pain meds. Nerve block lasted 3 days. No gas, just nausea and I was immediately given a steroid/anti nausea cocktail (decadron) that was a miracle drug. My bp is normally 156/99….in the hospital it was 188/96. This morning at my pcp visit it was 104/65! My bp meds have been halved. I’ve been on them for 22 years since my twins were born…post partum hypertension.

I start puréed foods tomorrow. I am perfectly satisfied right now on liquids. I’m not hungry, I am down 23 lbs, I feel fabulous. Right now, I am remembering how little food mattered to me most of my life and I am ecstatic.

I wish that everyone could have the same experience I’m having.
this is life changing.

On 06/23/2022 at 07:43, Jessica1024 said:

It went well. Terrible night. Gas pains are horrendous. Feels like my back is breaking and I’m having a heart attack ! And no matter what they give me I’m nauseated. Never had an ice cup or anything yet. My mouth is dry and my breath probably smells like my mouth taste. But. It’s over and only gets better from here. I guess …… how did you day go ??

Decadron for nausea. I was practically debilitated the the nausea the morning after surgery. The surgeon told them to start me on Decadron and instantly I had relief. There are some forward thinking physicians who think that some nausea is caused by inflammation. I do not metabolize anesthesia well, and the decadron made all the difference.

On 6/22/2022 at 7:33 AM, doobie31 said:

So how did all our June 21ers do? Mine went smoothly. Surgery at 11. I woke up in post op about 3 (problem sooner but that's my first memory). Taken up to recovery about 330. I think I took my first walk around 5. Ditched the walker halfway in. Walking is not a problem at all and I look forward to them. Just started feeling gas cramps, OUCH. I've done a little burping but no pass gas. Peed plenty but no poop. Having no trouble getting down my "food" and drink. Lots of sleeping. All in all, SO FAR, this has been easier than expected.

I just had to come back to this post to see how yours went! So happy for you! That gas is NO JOKE! I think that was the worst part for me and walking didn't help at all because mine had gathered all up around my liver area and right rib cage. I swear, that had to be worse pain than giving birth was! Thankfully my surgeon was awesome and his recommendation helped and by the 2nd full day at home, it finally started moving around and out!

So glad your procedure went well! I'll be thinking about you in the coming days as you adjust to your new lifestyle! ❤️

21 minutes ago, ShianRaineDrop said:

I just had to come back to this post to see how yours went! So happy for you! That gas is NO JOKE! I think that was the worst part for me and walking didn't help at all because mine had gathered all up around my liver area and right rib cage. I swear, that had to be worse pain than giving birth was! Thankfully my surgeon was awesome and his recommendation helped and by the 2nd full day at home, it finally started moving around and out!

So glad your procedure went well! I'll be thinking about you in the coming days as you adjust to your new lifestyle! ❤️

Glad you finally got rid of it. I was fearful of gas pains, and they didn't happen (or if they did, they were so mild I didn't notice). Just lucky I guess. I got sent home at 2:30p Wednesday. sleeping was not a problem. I took 2 Tylenol when I woke up as a precaution, but don't plan to take anymore unless pain gets bad. Thus far, nothing I can't handle. No nausea though I still have the thing behind my ear. We'll see how things go when I take that off tomorrow. Sticking to a very ridged schedule of drinking every 15 minutes and walking every hour. All in all, feeling very, very lucky.

Biggest surprise was finding out I had to stick a needly in my stomach twice a day for 30 days to help prevent an embolism. Luckily it doesn't hurt at all, but did not expect that!

Glad your home and doing well. Keep us updated.

Acopas ….. how are you feeling ? Today I was allowed 5 sips. Not drinks 5 sips. Tomorrow 5 sips for the day as well. It felt like pressure going down when I swallowed them I got a little nauseous. It passed after a few min. Not sure how going home tomorrow is gonna go. Going from5 sips all day to trying to get in 64 Oz of Water !