Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2022 surgery buddies

On 06/10/2022 at 17:39, nickinicole0718 said:

Mine starts the 15th, It's a 2 week but I have already been through back in Jan when i was 2 days away from surgery and they cancelled due to the covid rates going up. grr.

I start mine the 15th too!

2 hours ago, Rebekahlynn9 said:

Hey everyone, day 3 of my pre op surgery diet! Anyone else loosing like crazy on their pre op? Makes me wonder If I really need to be having this surgery, then I think back to all my failed attempts to do it on my own and my weekness for all things bad, So I'm counting down the days till surgery and trying not to think about food. 😛 still getting a little anxious the closer I get to the big day but I have a wonderful husband who I've been married to for 20 yrs and he's been supportive in my decision. And this group has been amazing.

How is your gas pain??? Please keep us updated on your recovery...good bad and inbetween! I want to hear it all 😉

I’m 9 days into a three week pre-op. I lost 5.4 pounds the first week, but I ate the post-op diet for five weeks prior. My mom started on the same day and lost 9lbs in the first few days.

my husband isn’t unsupportive just clueless. Asks me to cook food that I can’t eat or bring food to him that smells good. I’m actually sitting in a movie theater with him right now and he’s eating a flatbread pizza while I sip Water. I’ve had two Protein Shakes today. It can be frustrating.

2 hours ago, Rebekahlynn9 said:

Hey everyone, day 3 of my pre op surgery diet! Anyone else loosing like crazy on their pre op? Makes me wonder If I really need to be having this surgery, then I think back to all my failed attempts to do it on my own and my weekness for all things bad, So I'm counting down the days till surgery and trying not to think about food. 😛 still getting a little anxious the closer I get to the big day but I have a wonderful husband who I've been married to for 20 yrs and he's been supportive in my decision. And this group has been amazing.

How is your gas pain??? Please keep us updated on your recovery...good bad and inbetween! I want to hear it all 😉

I have been on preop diet since May 23 and have dropped roughly 16lbs. At first, I too thought ya know I don't need surgery after all. However as the days have gone by..no way I could live on this diet in my current tummy situation. I would kill to eat a piece of steak.

2 hours ago, Tatt said:

I have been on preop diet since May 23 and have dropped roughly 16lbs. At first, I too thought ya know I don't need surgery after all. However as the days have gone by..no way I could live on this diet in my current tummy situation. I would kill to eat a piece of steak.

I feel ya. I'd probably be sabotaging myself if this wasnt a "must do" circumstance. But the hunger Pang's do diminish after about 20 minutes. Just have to keep that in mind and space my shakes and 1 meal out evenly throughout the day.

3 hours ago, acopas said:

I’m 9 days into a three week pre-op. I lost 5.4 pounds the first week, but I ate the post-op diet for five weeks prior. My mom started on the same day and lost 9lbs in the first few days.

my husband isn’t unsupportive just clueless. Asks me to cook food that I can’t eat or bring food to him that smells good. I’m actually sitting in a movie theater with him right now and he’s eating a flatbread pizza while I sip Water. I’ve had two Protein Shakes today. It can be frustrating.

Awww, Im sorry....that can be frustrating. When I quit smoking my husband tried to hide his smoking from me at 1st and I told him not to because I had to learn that his choices cant effect me. Psychologically I have to seperate myself from what others do. He sits on the couch next to me and eats m&m's and twinkies, popcorn etc. I'll have this breif relapse and want to eat just one kernel or m&m but have to reel myself in and come back to reality. Its a mindset that is going to have to work to save my life and im going to have to stick to if this lifestyle/journey is going to work for me. 🥂 To overcoming our cravings and being bad ass! LOL.

19 hours ago, amyyy817 said:

I start mine the 15th too!

I’m with ya !

1 hour ago, LosingwithKP said:

Hey everyone! Just joined! I had vsg on June 7th so I’m currently on the full liquid post op diet! Anyone else had their surgery June 7th or around that time?

Hi. I had gastric bypass, hernia repair and gallbladder removed on June 8. Today was my first full day home. I had no difficulty getting in my liquids but the Protein is another thing. I hate the sickening sweet taste of the clear Protein Drinks.

I would be lost without sugar free popsicles. Other than that, I’m playing a lot of candy crush and drinking Crystal Lite. And resting when I’m tired.

welcome!

Hello,

I also had surgery on the 7th. Feeling good, but haven’t had a bowel movement. Has anyone else been having this problem?

Edited by Zeny22

8 hours ago, Mariann812 said:

Hi. I had gastric bypass, hernia repair and gallbladder removed on June 8. Today was my first full day home. I had no difficulty getting in my liquids but the Protein is another thing. I hate the sickening sweet taste of the clear Protein Drinks.

I would be lost without sugar free popsicles. Other than that, I’m playing a lot of candy crush and drinking Crystal Lite. And resting when I’m tired.

welcome!

I am the same way! I am so tired of sweet things but have no problem with crystal lite and water! My nutritionist called to check on me the day after I came home and I told her how hard it was for me to drink sweet things and she said that I could have cream of chicken Soup mixed with skim milk, so it becomes very thin, and then put it all in a blender with ricotta cheese and then strain it really well so there are no chunks and then warm it up on the stovetop. That has changed everything for me! It doesn’t have as much Protein as a Protein Shake but it’s better than not getting any protein! She also told me about Gatorade protein which has 10 grams of protein per bottle. I haven’t tried them yet but she said they aren’t as sweet as Protein Shakes so I may be able to handle those.

6 hours ago, Zeny22 said:

Hello,

I also had surgery on the 7th. Feeling good, but haven’t had a bowel movement. Has anyone else been having this problem?

Hi surgery date twin! Glad you’re feeling good other than the bowel movements. Sorry, I am no help with the bowel movements. I had the total opposite problem when I came home from the hospital.
Are you still in any pain around your incisions? I have one incision on my right side that is so painful every time I walk or stand or move.

9 minutes ago, Zeny22 said:

Hello,

Thanks!! Glad you are doing well! No pain around incisions other then the belly button very minimal.

Good to know! Hopefully my pain around that incision will subside soon!

27 minutes ago, LosingwithKP said:

I am the same way! I am so tired of sweet things but have no problem with crystal lite and water! My nutritionist called to check on me the day after I came home and I told her how hard it was for me to drink sweet things and she said that I could have cream of chicken Soup mixed with skim milk, so it becomes very thin, and then put it all in a blender with ricotta cheese and then strain it really well so there are no chunks and then warm it up on the stovetop. That has changed everything for me! It doesn’t have as much Protein as a Protein Shake but it’s better than not getting any protein! She also told me about Gatorade Protein which has 10 grams of protein per bottle. I haven’t tried them yet but she said they aren’t as sweet as Protein Shakes so I may be able to handle those.

I love that Soup idea! When was your surgery?

I have the Gatorade clear protein drinks that you mentioned and I am not liking them…I find them less sweet than the clear Premier Protein drinks but still way too much for me.
I’m loving broth and I’m careful to do no salt. I was up every hour during the night and thankfully peed away 8 lbs of Water. 😳

I figure all of these are temporary steps in the process, and soon there will be things I really enjoy.

Right now, Jello and crystal light ice tea are going to have to do IT for me!

Thank you for the soup idea. My nutritionist and I met when I was in the hospital and she did share the same recipe that you did, but I have to check my notes. I’m not sure I can have that yet.