Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2022 surgery buddies

My surgery is June 13th and this past Monday I started my 3 week pre op diet. From what I can tell it's easier than most but I am having a hard time with my food addiction. Dr has me on a high Protein, low fat low carb less than 1000 calories a day to shrink my liver. I do my preop exam next Friday.

My daughter's after school clubs are all having their last meetings which means she has brought home left over pizza, Cookies, chips and soda. Now she is tired of junk but wants to save it for later. My addiction tells me one cookie wouldn't hurt and no one would know. The problem besides, being on pre op, is I never stop at 1 cookie ,,if I did I sure wouldn't be having surgery. We went grocery shopping today and I went into my room, turned on some music, and cried. Idk if I am having such a hard time now how I am gonna handle 2 weeks of liquids only after surgery. It has to get easier right?

On 5/27/2022 at 8:17 PM, Tatt said:

My surgery is June 13th and this past Monday I started my 3 week pre op diet. From what I can tell it's easier than most but I am having a hard time with my food addiction. Dr has me on a high Protein, low fat low carb less than 1000 calories a day to shrink my liver. I do my preop exam next Friday.

My daughter's after school clubs are all having their last meetings which means she has brought home left over pizza, Cookies, chips and soda. Now she is tired of junk but wants to save it for later. My addiction tells me one cookie wouldn't hurt and no one would know. The problem besides, being on pre op, is I never stop at 1 cookie ,,if I did I sure wouldn't be having surgery. We went grocery shopping today and I went into my room, turned on some music, and cried. Idk if I am having such a hard time now how I am gonna handle 2 weeks of liquids only after surgery. It has to get easier right?

Do you have a support group within your surgeons office or a good support system at home? I know several people in here meet with therapist that specialize in food addiction. It may be beneficial to meet with one. My family are starting a diet at the same time that my preop start so it should be easier as they won’t be eating the garbage either.

On 05/27/2022 at 20:17, Tatt said:

It does get easier! I am on Day 10 of my 2-week pre op diet, and I had my first slip up tonight. I couldn’t stop thinking about all the food I couldn’t have, and I came so close to ordering a turkey sub, but then I settled on a frozen Breakfast burrito in my freezer. I feel super guilty, but I’ve read stories from other people who have cheated so much worse and more frequently, so I think I’ll be okay. Find yourself a yummy drink mix to make Water more appealing, and try mixing crystal light and ice with a vanilla Protein Shake in the blender - tastes a lot like a frosted lemonade!

Good luck to the 5/31 and 6/1 surgeries. I’m scheduled for 7:30 am surgery on 6/8.
I’m off to the beach now with my daughter for a couple of days. DH will be staying home with her twin brother and the 🐶 dogs 🐶 for some golf and fishing. I need this time to chill, relax, and to continue to give myself pep talks about 6/8.
I’m SO ready for this surgery, I am simultaneously nervous and eager.
Again, best wishes to all!
🇺🇸☀️🌊🏖😎

10 hours ago, acopas said:

Do you have a support group within your surgeons office or a good support system at home? I know several people in here meet with therapist that specialize in food addiction. It may be beneficial to meet with one. My family are starting a diet at the same time that my preop start so it should be easier as they won’t be eating the garbage either.

I have therapist that is helping me with PTSD who also specializes in food addiction and body dysmorphia. She is going to be there every step of the way as everything changes. Honestly I kind of expected the food addiction to pop it's ugly little head up after surgery....I just forgot the preop could have me start to face it before surgery (even though I read about all the challenges other's have had with it). Yesterday was easier my hunger is gone and I have made sure to get out the kitchen after cooking clean up is done.

5 hours ago, karmaleeta said:

It does get easier! I am on Day 10 of my 2-week pre op diet, and I had my first slip up tonight. I couldn’t stop thinking about all the food I couldn’t have, and I came so close to ordering a turkey sub, but then I settled on a frozen Breakfast burrito in my freezer. I feel super guilty, but I’ve read stories from other people who have cheated so much worse and more frequently, so I think I’ll be okay. Find yourself a yummy drink mix to make Water more appealing, and try mixing crystal light and ice with a vanilla Protein Shake in the blender - tastes a lot like a frosted lemonade!

That does sound wonderful will have to try the "frosted lemonade". Today I am going to meal prep for the week so that during the week it's grab and get out the kitchen.

Most people slip up but you went 10 days without cheating ..that's great and you are almost to surgery. I have my preop stuff on June 3.. not sure why they are doing it so far out but the sooner everything gets locked down the happier I will be.

Today is day 7 of pre op diet, I am no longer dealing with hunger pains. I do get a little lightheaded if I try to do anything to physical, ie. help move the dog house, and stairs suck.

I am down to 254.9 so I have lost 7 lbs.

On 5/26/2022 at 1:51 PM, Desafio said:

I am schedule for 6/6 Surgery. 😄

Surgery twin!!

On 5/22/2022 at 6:02 PM, JulieAnn718 said:

My surgery is June 6 as well. This last week was tough but I feel better going into this next week. How are you doing?

Same, hope you are surviving the pre op diet !

A little over 2 weeks till surgery (6/16). Starting my preop diet Thursday. My program includes no caffeine :(, Sugar, Dairy, or carbs with the final two days being liquid only. As it gets closer the more anxious I get, I have been on a weight loss journey for 10 years and I'm really hoping this will finally be it.

On 05/29/2022 at 12:44, MeMaof2byz said:

Same, hope you are surviving the pre op diet !

So far, so good. I’m lacking energy today so I’m glad it’s a long weekend! How’s the pre-op diet going for you?

On 05/29/2022 at 04:03, Mariann812 said:

Good luck to the 5/31 and 6/1 surgeries. I’m scheduled for 7:30 am surgery on 6/8.

I’m off to the beach now with my daughter for a couple of days. DH will be staying home with her twin brother and the 🐶 dogs 🐶 for some golf and fishing. I need this time to chill, relax, and to continue to give myself pep talks about 6/8.

I’m SO ready for this surgery, I am simultaneously nervous and eager.

Again, best wishes to all!

🇺🇸☀️🌊🏖😎

Same - excited and nervous! Mine is 6/6 but I don’t have my time yet. I hope it’s early! Good luck to you!

5 minutes ago, JulieAnn718 said:

So far, so good. I’m lacking energy today so I’m glad it’s a long weekend! How’s the pre-op diet going for you?

Good, I am down 7 lbs in 7 days. I do not really get hungry anymore, but I do get lightheaded from time to time and am weak when I try to do exercise.

20 minutes ago, KelsVSG said:

A little over 2 weeks till surgery (6/16). Starting my preop diet Thursday. My program includes no caffeine :(, Sugar, Dairy, or carbs with the final two days being liquid only. As it gets closer the more anxious I get, I have been on a weight loss journey for 10 years and I'm really hoping this will finally be it.

You got this, the first 2 to 3 days are the roughest of the pre op diet but after that it is good. I'm with you on the 10 yr yo you of weightloss.