Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Amounts/quantities of foods?

So I have gotten different answers from my doctor's office (nutritionist, doctor, post-surgery team, etc.). I am meal prepping on the weekends and I portion my food into small 1/4 cup portion cups, that are typically used for dressings and Condiments (I LOVE THESE THINGS!). Anyway, I noticed that at times, I can eat 2 of these within an hour (making it 1/2 cup), while other times I really can only have one of them before I feel restriction. I am so worried about damaging my stomach or busting a suture. What amounts of food have you guys been able to tolerate at 1 month post op?

Also, bear in mind that my doctor's office moved me from liquid to pureed after week 1... then from pureed to soft food on week 3. I am on soft food for another couple of weeks before it's venturing out to regular food. Is there a good rule of thumb in the bariatric world to follow? Like maybe only eat 1/4 cup for each "meal" and have 4-5 "meals" per day? I always get the answer "it's variable and depends on the patient." I think I'd prefer some type of structure to go by.

Also, my doctor said I wouldn't have to worry about dumping because I had the sleeve, and it's very uncommon; however, I have noticed that if I eat too fast, or don't wait 45-60 mins to drink after eating, that I get diarrhea. It's short-lived thank God, but it still is hard to prevent (which makes for a pretty uncomfortable environment at work!!) It sounds like dumping, but he said it's common... thoughts?

I only have had bypass so I can share what my team said. At one month I was eating 2 oz of Protein. It was still soft like yogurt. I would have a snack like 1 oz cheese and make up the difference with shakes. I needed a lot of Snacks of cheese and yogurt to keep my energy up at work. I used the little OXO toddler containers to measure and prep. Now I use the 2oz containers for mustard or dressing or veggies. My team’s goal was for me to eat real food, and 4 oz of protein at one meal, 3x a day. I have a support group for the program with switch, bypass, and sleeve and we all have that goal. The switch people have higher protein goals due to higher malabsorption. I personally was not able to eat 4 oz of real food until 4months. Most folks in the program get to 6 months before eating 4oz. That was 4 oz by volume, at 6 months I explained that I was very hungry and they said to switch it to weighed (with a food scale) 4 oz. When you can eat 4 oz weight of protein then start eating veggies. It’s based upon what you can do individually.

Obviously drink 64 oz volume of Water, and take the Vitamins, the rest is up to you and your body.

I had many surprise liquid poops until I got to soft meats like fish and sausage innings. When I ate real food as opposed to the shakes I got regular again.

There’s so much conflicting information about it is confusing. I was advised 1/4 - 1/3 cup but this did depend on what the food was (still does almost three years out). I could always eat more Soup but less if it was a less liquidy, more solid food like mince or a sausage. Some people can eat larger portions. Others can’t. Generally, tread slowly especially while you’re still healing & listen to your body. It is more challenging at first because the cut & damaged nerves from the surgery mean your old messages of being full etc. don’t work as well & you often find they’re not the same as they were either. Try not to eat until you feel full but until you’ve had enough. That full feeling is actually telling you you’ve eaten too much.

Edited by Arabesque

Remember it will take weeks (6-8 for me) for your stomach's nerves to heal enough to send you the signals from down there. The restriction will probably be more noticeable later.