Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Months out. Just had a whole candy bar.

I just had a king size chocolate bar with nuts. I feel so stupid and I'm really scared. Did I start a slippery slope? It was my first time to eat this much candy/chocolate. But I don't feel physically great about it.

I feel like lately I've been in bad shape. I have been eating too fast, and I find it really hard to eat slowly. So I am thinking maybe that has something to do with it.

Question for you guys too. How long did your doctors prescribe Nexium/Prilosec?

And were any of you prescribed Ursodiol?

It's probably a good time to get some strategies in place. "Slip-ups" like this usually don't happen if we feel satisfied with the amount we eat; they're often a reaction to restricting yourself too much.

Consider for reference my program has women on 1200 cal/day from day 1, regardless of surgery, and it increases to 1600 cal/day from the 6 month mark. (+200 for men for both). They're right around 80% EWL in 12 months for sleeve and bypass.

Why not have some of the 100 cals chocolate bars from the store here on hand in case you feel like a treat? And first and foremost, make sure you're not hungry.

Don't kick yourself too much for having the candy bar, but don't make it a habit. I used to take Prilosec/Omeprazole prior to WLS (sleeve) but ever since WLS I haven't needed it. The GERD and acid reflux are gone.

I think most of us were prescribed ursodiol for the first few months to lessen the chance of gallbladder issues.

my surgeon prescribed omeprazole for a year, but I had surgery back before the downside of PPIs were widely known. From what I can tell (by hanging out on bariatric forums), most surgeons just prescribe it for around 3-6 months post-surgery now.

Like others have said, just don't make a habit out of it. Part of the reason I had this surgery is because I don't want to continue the lifetime of diets and guilt with eating. I want to lose the weight and just have a healthy relationship with food, that includes the occasional candy bar. Beating yourself up or being overly restrictive may lead to more binges. Just accept it happened and move on. If you find yourself desperate for candy try to find an alternative option or go for a mini size. But this first year is your fast lane for weight loss and you should try to maximize that as much as possible.

I was on Protonix for 2 months post op and still have it for as needed. I was never prescribed the other med you mentioned.

I think this happens to lots of people and will happen to lots of us here. I would (being me) analyse the heck out of why it happened, try not to let that set of circumstances arise in the future, and then forgive myself and move on. It's one day and one chocolate bar - it's not the rest of your life and guilt can be so destructive. I was a massive consumer of chocolate before my surgery. I keep a 100% bar in the cupboard for times I *think* I need some. No sugar but mega chocolaty and I love it, but don't eat more than a square or two at a time.

I had anti-acid medication for 3 months post op and have been fine since then without it (thankfully!)

22 minutes ago, Spinoza said:

It's one day and one chocolate bar - it's not the rest of your life and guilt can be so destructive.

But was it just one chocolate bar? It's my understanding that even a small amount of a candy bar will cause dumping syndrome or severe nausea. How was she able to consume an entire king sized candy bar and not be incredibly sick? I'm guessing that this was not the first time. With all due respect, I think there's more to the story. My gut is telling me it's time to reach out for help, like therapy. I had an eating disorder (BED) so I speak from experience. It's a slippery slope and you can't fix it on your own.

42 minutes ago, suzannethemom said:

It's my understanding that even a small amount of a candy bar will cause dumping syndrome or severe nausea. How was she able to consume an entire king sized candy bar and not be incredibly sick? I'm guessing that this was not the first time. With all due respect, I think there's more to the story

English isn't my first language, so I may not be reading this right. Just to clarify: are you saying OP - who came to ask for help - is lying?

It's my understanding that even a small amount of a candy bar will cause dumping syndrome or severe nausea

Literally what is this?

2 hours ago, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

English isn't my first language, so I may not be reading this right. Just to clarify: are you saying OP - who came to ask for help - is lying?

What? No, that’s not what I said at all. She did not indicate whether or not this was a first time slip up. I am basically asking if she has been consuming candy bars or other sweets for a while. A bariatric patient cannot consume an entire candy bar without getting seriously sick.

6 hours ago, suzannethemom said:

A bariatric patient cannot consume an entire candy bar without getting seriously sick.

Not all gastric bypassers experience dumping syndrome - in some studies it's less than 40%. Far fewer sleevers do, which makes sense given their routing of the small intestine is unchanged.

What? No, that’s not what I said at all.

Alright, I guess I didn't read that correctly.

On 3/27/2022 at 7:05 AM, suzannethemom said:

But was it just one chocolate bar? It's my understanding that even a small amount of a candy bar will cause dumping syndrome or severe nausea. How was she able to consume an entire king sized candy bar and not be incredibly sick? I'm guessing that this was not the first time. With all due respect, I think there's more to the story. My gut is telling me it's time to reach out for help, like therapy. I had an eating disorder (BED) so I speak from experience. It's a slippery slope and you can't fix it on your own.

with a sleeve it doesn't normally cause dumping I too have eaten a whole 100g block of chocolate in one sitting. did i feel like I shouldn't have eaten it YES did it make me feel sick no. I am not sure what a king size bar is so I cant comment on that.