Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2022 surgery?

12 hours ago, Woodstock23 said:

Hi all - I'm booked in for sleeve surgery on Thursday this week, so am currently on Day 12 of the liver shrinking diet. It's the third time I've been on the diet as my first two surgery dates were cancelled due to covid (my surgeon caught it, and then I caught it!) so I'm pretty used to it all by now! Just keeping everything crossed that there aren't any problems this time and it all goes ahead on Thursday!

Congratulations to everyone on here who has had their surgery, and sympathy to all those who are still on the pre-op diets! So inspiring to hear all your stories, and hopefully I'll be sharing my recovery updates soon too! xx

Thanks for your well wishes🙏 we all need it I think, I've been cancelled second time was due yesterday for a RNY and hiatal hernia repair, well prepared! physically mentally & emotionally, I rock up at the hospital after fasting from 6 a.m. in the morning waiting for 1:30pm in my white gown and compression socks so I can be taken in by the anaesthetist. 2.30pm comes low and behold! one of the surgeon's approach me to give me the "bad news" that it's been cancelled due to covid cases resulting in no beds so second time round shatterd with disappointment (sigh)

Oh well life goes on, it is what it is, I guess everything happens for a reason.😕

Wishing you lots of luck on Thursday with your surgery hope everything goes smooth for you and speedy recoveries🙏🙏🙏♥️♥️♥️

Oh bummer Merrill! Any idea when they might reschedule?

7 minutes ago, sprukop0924 said:

Oh bummer Merrill! Any idea when they might reschedule?

Well the nurse said I might go and see the appointments clerk to see if they can reschedule in the next two weeks that way you won't ruin your Fluid diet and just do another two weeks and she comes back to say there are no appointments for the next 2 weeks so just continue eating normal. I'm just now waiting to hear from them I'm losing my motivation to be honest. I've lost a month of income in the process jeopardising my position in my job, and who's to pay for all the losses and damage in the process? all they do is send you a message apologising! it's just not good enough.

Edited by Merill

On 05/17/2022 at 07:40, Tim W. said:

Well today is my first post op appointment. I can't wait to see how much I actually lost.

Yay! My post op was yesterday and they took my staples out and I feel better already. Hope you have a good result!

Had my RNY yesterday, everything went well. This gas pain is killing me though and it hurts to drink anything, but it could be worse. Trying to walk as much as I can and taking gas-x. Anyone have any other tricks?

On 05/17/2022 at 09:36, Dani1491 said:

Had my RNY yesterday, everything went well. This gas pain is killing me though and it hurts to drink anything, but it could be worse. Trying to walk as much as I can and taking gas-x. Anyone have any other tricks?

Congratulations!! Heating pads help as well but you are correct, to move the gas and get it out….walking is key 🔑

10 hours ago, redhead_che said:

Yay! My post op was yesterday and they took my staples out and I feel better already. Hope you have a good result!

28lbs total. 17 since my surgery. I think that's a decent start.

Edited by Tim W.

I had my surgery RNY on May 10th and have my first follow up appointment. Now I weighed myself and it said I gained 2 pounds and I don’t know if that is because of swelling still or not.

Hello everyone, it si good to hear your stories ♥️♥️
I had my surgery last Tuesday at Kaizer
Today my pain is almost done … it gets better every day just take it day by day drink your Protein Shakes, get the one that has the least sugar and high Protein !
I am having my first appointment with my surgeon this Friday !!! I will keep you posted .
Good luck to everyone ♥️

6 hours ago, Chrissy0510 said:

I had my surgery RNY on May 10th and have my first follow up appointment. Now I weighed myself and it said I gained 2 pounds and I don’t know if that is because of swelling still or not.

I had mine on the 9th. After surgery and being on IV fluids my calves and feet were swollen with Fluid. We need to let ourselves heal. I am staying away from the scales. Breathe.

On 5/17/2022 at 9:21 AM, Merill said:

Thanks for your well wishes🙏 we all need it I think, I've been cancelled second time was due yesterday for a RNY and hiatal hernia repair, well prepared! physically mentally & emotionally, I rock up at the hospital after fasting from 6 a.m. in the morning waiting for 1:30pm in my white gown and compression socks so I can be taken in by the anaesthetist. 2.30pm comes low and behold! one of the surgeon's approach me to give me the "bad news" that it's been cancelled due to covid cases resulting in no beds so second time round shatterd with disappointment (sigh)

Oh well life goes on, it is what it is, I guess everything happens for a reason.😕

Wishing you lots of luck on Thursday with your surgery hope everything goes smooth for you and speedy recoveries🙏🙏🙏♥️♥️♥️

I am so sorry Merrill that this has happened for the second time. Once is bad enough but twice really stinks. :( Why are they even booking you in when a bed can't be guaranteed. How disappointing. No wonder you would be losing focus.

Is it possible to have a chat with the surgeon's office and let them know how this is affecting you emotionally and financially? Surely you are not the only one who is being impacted and they need to ensure that there are no more false starts. Taking care of their patients starts before the operation.

Covid really is a pain. Given that this has been the situation for the past two years time to make constructive improvements to their booking system. ((Hugs))

On 05/18/2022 at 05:57, Possum220 said:

I am so sorry Merrill that this has happened for the second time. Once is bad enough but twice really stinks. :( Why are they even booking you in when a bed can't be guaranteed. How disappointing. No wonder you would be losing focus.

Is it possible to have a chat with the surgeon's office and let them know how this is affecting you emotionally and financially? Surely you are not the only one who is being impacted and they need to ensure that there are no more false starts. Taking care of their patients starts before the operation.

Covid really is a pain. Given that this has been the situation for the past two years time to make constructive improvements to their booking system. ((Hugs))

This is an excellent response. Your point is so well made, articulate and concise. One would absolutely expect that after 2+ years, a better system was in place.
Thank you for saying this.

Walking, a heating pad, and having my husband run my back resulting in some burps that would cause frat boy envy has helped me with the gas pain. I also have done some gentle upper body stretching as well. My surgery was Monday and I feel great. I took a shower today and it felt like the best shower ever.