Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2022 surgery?

My RNY is on the 24th.

Was originally going to get a VSG but after an endoscopy, the doc thinks my GERD is worse on my body than the way I feel about it. Convinced me that I would probably be horrendously suffering from acid if I went with the VSG.

Also going to repair my hiatal hernia and after doing a nuclear scan going to pull out my gallbladder.

Wheeeee....

Started my pre-op diet on the 10th.

I'm jealous of all your pre-op diets. I get two weeks of 20oz non-fat milk 3x a day. 50oz of other liquids a day - Water, broth, Decaf tea or coffee.

On day five and it's really not all that bad. Doc's literature said this type of diet activated the body's hunger suppresant. And I'm really surprised how.... well, I am hungry, but I'm not as hungry as I would have thought.

Anyway, nervous and excited at the same time. I'm sure you've all felt that same way.

On 03/19/2022 at 21:39, CGA70 said:

Hi Everyone!

I’m new here and have sleeve surgery set for May 20. Anyone else in May?

Thanks!

Hi, I’m new here also and have surgery on May 21st

2 hours ago, Raw188 said:

My RNY is on the 24th.

Was originally going to get a VSG but after an endoscopy, the doc thinks my GERD is worse on my body than the way I feel about it. Convinced me that I would probably be horrendously suffering from acid if I went with the VSG.

Also going to repair my hiatal hernia and after doing a nuclear scan going to pull out my gallbladder.

Wheeeee....

Started my pre-op diet on the 10th.

I'm jealous of all your pre-op diets. I get two weeks of 20oz non-fat milk 3x a day. 50oz of other liquids a day - Water, broth, Decaf tea or coffee.

On day five and it's really not all that bad. Doc's literature said this type of diet activated the body's hunger suppresant. And I'm really surprised how.... well, I am hungry, but I'm not as hungry as I would have thought.

Anyway, nervous and excited at the same time. I'm sure you've all felt that same way.

I'm also very nervous as I'm scheduled for a hiatal hernia repair and a Roux-en-Y tomorrow, finally the day has come! after being cancelled once due to covid cases taking up all the beds.. can't wait to get all this over and done with and and be my path to my new journey!

🙏😊All the best to you keep us posted on how you go.

😊😊😊😊

Edited by Merill

On 05/14/2022 at 22:24, Merill said:

I'm also very nervous as I'm scheduled for a hiatal hernia repair and a Roux-en-Y tomorrow, finally the day has come! after being cancelled once due to covid cases taking up all the beds.. can't wait to get all this over and done with and and be my path to my new journey!

😊😊😊😊

Good luck Merill!
Sending good thoughts and best wishes to you. ❤️

1 hour ago, Merill said:

😊😊😊😊

Good luck tomorrow!

Hope that everyone else is doing well.

I had my RNY done last Monday. While the surgeon did that he also repaired a hernia for me. Afterwards the pain was horrid. I was put on a drip and not allowed to walk because my blood pressure went lower than normal. It took until Thursday until I felt reasonable and I went home Friday. When I went home my legs were horribly swollen from the drip. Thank goodness they were remarkably improved by the next day.

I have been up and looking after myself but mostly watching Netflix. Tomorrow is the first day of soft food. Mushed up baked Beans here I come. :)

Edited by Possum220

@possum220: I’m so sorry you had a rough start! I’ve had very low blood pressure myself. 80s/40s and 90s/50s. It’s unsettling! But I am recovering at home, day 9 post op. I’m told low blood pressure is a sign the body is healing? Idk 🤷🏼‍♀️

6 hours ago, Possum220 said:

Hope that everyone else is doing well.

I had my RNY done last Monday. While the surgeon did that he also repaired a hernia for me. Afterwards the pain was horrid. I was put on a drip and not allowed to walk because my blood pressure went lower than normal. It took until Thursday until I felt reasonable and I went home Friday. When I went home my legs were horribly swollen from the drip. Thank goodness they were remarkably improved by the next day.

I have been up and looking after myself but mostly watching Netflix. Tomorrow is the first day of soft food. Mushed up baked Beans here I come. :)

Hi Possum,

Sorry to hear that your pain was really bad and your blood pressure and swelling it's good to know you're recovering now, sending many hugs and well-wishes♥️♥️

Today is my surgery day for a RNY + hiatal hernia repair now I'm hearing all this my nerves are getting worse as the surgery gets closer hope all goes well just woke up with 4 hours sleep doing last minute preps.

All the best to you 🙏♥️

Edited by Merill

Surgery is tomorrow and I still haven't packed. What did you guys bring in your overnight bag?

Sent from my SM-G996U using BariatricPal mobile app

1 minute ago, syllybeelosesit91 said:

Surgery is tomorrow and I still haven't packed. What did you guys bring in your overnight bag?

Sent from my SM-G996U using BariatricPal mobile app

I brought chap stick, phone cord and phone and biggest shirt I could find and a loose pair of pants.

Good Afternoon everyone,

And a special hello to all my May surgery buddies. I am new here and had my Gastric Sleeve surgery on May 11th. I am doing great currently, and feeling very optimistic! My first 3 days were the hardest, I was sore and to be honest a bit stressed. But the hospital staff and my surgeons staff answered all my questions, and put my worries to rest. One really convenient thing my surgeons team did was to send my meds for after surgery to the pharmacy a full 2 days before my surgery.

8 hours ago, Merill said:

Hi Possum,

Sorry to hear that your pain was really bad and your blood pressure and swelling it's good to know you're recovering now, sending many hugs and well-wishes♥️♥️

Today is my surgery day for a RNY + hiatal hernia repair now I'm hearing all this my nerves are getting worse as the surgery gets closer hope all goes well just woke up with 4 hours sleep doing last minute preps.

All the best to you 🙏♥️

Hi Merrill. Hugs. For some it is a breeze. I did have another hernia repaired 2 years ago and I was in heaps of pain with just that. Hard to know what the cause of the pain is. Like you I was also very anxious before it all. None of us will be the same in our journey. Hope that you sail through it all.

I have to say that I was sooo relieved to be on the other side. We have had a long road to get here. I did have a lovely nurse who said that she had surgery and told me how happy she was that she had done this and is now reaping the rewards. Very reassuring.

You WILL get through this. It will be worth any short term pain for the long term gain. It is going to be okay. Keep breathing. Dont be afraid to ask for pain killers if you need it. :)

Hi all - I'm booked in for sleeve surgery on Thursday this week, so am currently on Day 12 of the liver shrinking diet. It's the third time I've been on the diet as my first two surgery dates were cancelled due to covid (my surgeon caught it, and then I caught it!) so I'm pretty used to it all by now! Just keeping everything crossed that there aren't any problems this time and it all goes ahead on Thursday!

Congratulations to everyone on here who has had their surgery, and sympathy to all those who are still on the pre-op diets! So inspiring to hear all your stories, and hopefully I'll be sharing my recovery updates soon too! xx

Wishing everyone having surgery today smooth procedures and speedy recoveries!
Thinking of you! ❤️❤️❤️