Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep study - CPAP machine

Hello,

I am in the process of scheduling bariatric surgery. I had to do an at home sleep study which returned confirmed sleep apnea. I was requested to meet with a pulmonologist which I did. He put ina request for a CPAP machine but said there are delays getting them at the current moment so it could be months.

Could this delay my surgery? I know what the CPAP machine is for, but do you need to be on it for a specific time ahead off surgery? I was really hoping to schedule surgery following my blood panel and EKG next week.

Thank you!

Usually the reason they send you for a sleep study is because sleep apnea is one of the things that insurance company considers a comprbidity that they will pay for the surgery if you have. I doubt whether you use the machine or not will hold up your surgery. I can’t think of why it would anyways. I mean if you needed one and just didn’t go and get it that may be another thing but they are just backordered or whatever you can’t help that. I’m sure they will tell you to bring your cpap machine to the hospital to use but obviously you just can’t if you don’t have it.

It should not be a issue in regards to the surgery as after surgery for some it eliminates sleep apenea... I have a machine. I personally love it. Before i was getting maybe 5 hours of sleep. Now i sleep for 8-9 and sometimes 10 hours if i dont need to go to the bathroom lol. There is a shortage of machines because a while ago one particular brand Phillips was recalled. I personally have the resmed airsense 10 and love it.

probably not. As someone else noted, the insurance company may need to know whether or not you have sleep apnea as that counts as a co-morbidity. Also, the anesthesiologist will probably need to know that as well so they can watch for it once you're under (and do whatever they do to deal with it while you're being operated on)

Edited by catwoman7

I doubt it would prevent you from having surgery. It's good for the doctors, and especially the ansesthesiologist (who is charge of your airway and oxygenation) to know prior to surgery about your diagnosis... so that they can take proper precautions prior and during surgery to keep you properly oxygenated.

Oh and also... cpap compliance after surgery is important because sleep apnea if untreated can prevent weight loss. So make sure when you get your cpap you use it!

Best wishes.

On 3/19/2022 at 5:47 PM, BypassingMyPhatAss said:

Oh and also... cpap compliance after surgery is important because sleep apnea if untreated can prevent weight loss. So make sure when you get your cpap you use it!

Best wishes.

Thank you for this. I am waiting for a surgery date and I just got a call that the doctor has ordered a CPAP machine for me. I came on here to research. your post (and the others) was helpful and reassuring.

On 3/19/2022 at 5:35 PM, simplysmile said:

Hello,

I am in the process of scheduling bariatric surgery. I had to do an at home sleep study which returned confirmed sleep apnea. I was requested to meet with a pulmonologist which I did. He put ina request for a CPAP machine but said there are delays getting them at the current moment so it could be months.

Could this delay my surgery? I know what the CPAP machine is for, but do you need to be on it for a specific time ahead off surgery? The last time I studied it for a physics assignment, I had help with my work at https://ca.edubirdie.com/physics-assignment-help so I could finish it on time. I was really hoping to schedule surgery following my blood panel and EKG next week.

Thank you!

I think not, because it is not necessary for the operation, if it is already ordered, it is easier to wait for it, even if it will be after surgery.

Edited by Clibing

So how did this work out? I’m assuming that you had your surgery by now. Did you get your machine? Do you still need it post surgery??

Hopefully this won’t be the case for you, but my BMI was originally under 40. It was like 38, but I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and put on a CPAP machine. The insurance still denied my surgery because my sleep apnea wasn’t “bad enough”. I guess they follow a chart of some sorts, so definitely find out what your insurance considers “ bad enough” to qualify as a comorbidity. Best of luck with everything!!