Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now thinking if canceling surgery 🥺

1 hour ago, Robz said:

If that happens maybe I'll be on social security and have Medicaid. Maybe it will pay for a revision surgery lol.

🤣🤣🤣

it's really a crap shoot. Some people have issues with it, some don't. The statistic I see thrown around is that around 30% of sleevers deal with it - but that would include people who already had GERD before surgery. I wasn't willing to take the risk because I figured I'd be one of the unfortunate ones (I had GERD prior to surgery), but a lot of people are comfortable with that and many of them never develop GERD. So......??? Not sure what to tell you. Maybe have a chat with your team??

Edited by catwoman7

1 hour ago, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

Another reason having basically a direct tube to the intestine works for me so far. It's a low pressure system by definition.

Did you lose slowly with your surgery. Are you having any problems keeping it off.

Just now, Robz said:

Did you lose slowly with your surgery. Are you having any problems keeping it off.

No, super fast- the MGB on average gives greater weightloss than both sleeve and RNY. No problems keeping it off for now, no, but I'm prepared for the 5-10 lbs most people gain back after reaching the lowest weight.

I had my surgery almost three years ago & have three friend who’ve also had sleeve surgery in the last 2-4 yrs. They haven’t developed Gerd or the lesser reflux. I had mild reflux before my surgery but managed it successfully through my food & drink choices. I only had issues if I made bad choices like too much champagne or too many gin & tonics - the bubbles groan. Yes, I still have reflux though I experience different symptoms but again not that severe. I take a PPI every day now & for about 3 days out of 4 that’s enough. I get some burning in my throat late at night a couple of times a week but it’s not that bad. I would be included in that 30% stat even though I had it before, as many obese people do, & it’s still pretty mild.

This is my experience. We’re all different & you can never predict how you will react to the surgery & the changes to your digestive system. I’m one of the 35% who developed gall stones but I could have developed them because of the weight loss, menopause or because I have Gilbert’s.

If your existing reflux is severe enough to make you sick when you have an attack, my thought would be that you’re not a candidate for a sleeve. But that’s my opinion & I’m not a medical person. Do your research, ask questions. All surgeries have side effects & there’ll be pros & cons for all of the weight loss surgery options too. Remember, you have the right to ask for which ever surgery you think may be best for you.

All the best.

My BMI was too high for a bypass being almost 60 at the time of consultation, the surgeon refused to do it telling me " there may not be enough room and isn't worth the risk" Thats in the Netherlands i moved here almost 5 years ago now in the UK it was a different kettle of fish. I ended yo with a sleeve and i can say almost immeditly i ended up with acid reflux i was put on meds for it and i've been fine ever since.

I had the sleeve and my GERD and acid reflux actually went away. I had it before surgery but not after. Just FYI. Also, you could just opt to do the bypass instead of the sleeve.

9 hours ago, GradyCat said:

I had the sleeve and my GERD and acid reflux actually went away. I had it before surgery but not after. Just FYI. Also, you could just opt to do the bypass instead of the sleeve.

I don't qualify for bypass. My bmi isn't high enough. I'm still on track for surgery. My nerves are still high but I'm going to go through with it.

On 3/17/2022 at 12:43 PM, WhispersOfAngel said:

Where was your surgery performed? I don't think my surgeon does the mini bypass or RYGB

44 minutes ago, Robz said:

Where was your surgery performed? I don't think my surgeon does the mini bypass or RYGB

That thread was started by @MiniGastricBypassDude and he's in Europe somewhere. That thread is about his MGB surgery experience. My surgeon doesn't do MGB either. I think it's more popular outside of the US for whatever reason. I'm revising to Gastric Bypass soon.

48 minutes ago, Robz said:

I don't think my surgeon does the mini bypass or RYGB

So which surgeries does your surgeon perform? Only Sleeve?

On 3/18/2022 at 12:13 AM, Robz said:

After a forum from yesterday. The worry I had about getting GERD is a lot stronger. The thought of it happening to me scares me. When I do do acid reflux (which is not often ) it does make me sick. This is a out of pocket surgery for me. My insurance doesn't cover wls. So I can't afford this surgery and then have to pay to get bypass if I get GERD. My mood now is so different. I was so happy I made the decision to get the surgery. And after yesterday today I'm scared and sad. I need positive thoughts ❤️

Don't over think it, This fear (GERD) drove me to have a melt down right before surgery and to be highly anxious for weeks after surgery. I had reflux before surgery for many years and had been on 20-40 mg of Nexium daily for about 15 years and as my weight got higher so did the occurrence of my reflux to the point of along with the Nexium I was going through a bottle of Gaviscon a week. fast forward 8 months post op I still take 20 mg Nexium daily but only because I am to scared to tapper off as I remember the rebound reflux from prior to surgery when I would try to come off them and I have to be honest I suck a Gaviscon dual tablet if I get the slightest inkling of reflux which I think half the time is in my head lol.

So prior to surgery I told my surgeon reflux was my biggest fear as I didn't want a bypass either and I certainly didn't want to have to have a second surgery, He said the weight loss would reduce the reflux and I think he is right. its just my own fears and thinking about it and sometimes eating the wrong things or too much that causes me get reflux now and its pretty mild.

Now I am going to say this and I don't mean any offence to anyone as it is just what I have observed, a lot people who have had revision surgery due to GERD/reflux also seem to have had a substantial weight gain too, now if anyone out there has experienced different I stand corrected but that's what I have noticed. So that is a pretty good incentive for me not to regain.

Talk to your surgeon though as he/she is the best to advise you we can only share our experiences

16 hours ago, GradyCat said:

Hi, were you on medication before surgery if so how long after surgery did you keep taking it and when did you know it was time to come off it and how did you come off, cold turkey or taper ?

11 hours ago, Robz said:

Northern Europe. I do know there's very skilled MGB surgeons in America, but it's self-pay.

6 hours ago, SleeverSk said:

Don't over think it, This fear (GERD) drove me to have a melt down right before surgery and to be highly anxious for weeks after surgery. I had reflux before surgery for many years and had been on 20-40 mg of Nexium daily for about 15 years and as my weight got higher so did the occurrence of my reflux to the point of along with the Nexium I was going through a bottle of Gaviscon a week. fast forward 8 months post op I still take 20 mg Nexium daily but only because I am to scared to tapper off as I remember the rebound reflux from prior to surgery when I would try to come off them and I have to be honest I suck a Gaviscon dual tablet if I get the slightest inkling of reflux which I think half the time is in my head lol.

So prior to surgery I told my surgeon reflux was my biggest fear as I didn't want a bypass either and I certainly didn't want to have to have a second surgery, He said the weight loss would reduce the reflux and I think he is right. its just my own fears and thinking about it and sometimes eating the wrong things or too much that causes me get reflux now and its pretty mild.

Now I am going to say this and I don't mean any offence to anyone as it is just what I have observed, a lot people who have had revision surgery due to GERD/reflux also seem to have had a substantial weight gain too, now if anyone out there has experienced different I stand corrected but that's what I have noticed. So that is a pretty good incentive for me not to regain.

Talk to your surgeon though as he/she is the best to advise you we can only share our experiences

Thanks, I've now talked to several that have had the sleeve and did not develop GERD and several that medicine controls it. Most of them say it's the food they eat that will trigger it. I've have recently figured out my triggers and it's coffee for me. I have started taking nexium just so I get it in my system before surgery. It might just end up being something I do now. Because of my fear of getting GERD.