Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

estimated weight loss

Hi all,

my wife had a weightloss surgery at december 1st 2021, she was 308 lbs, now she has already hit 209 lbs, im scared shes gona lose too much weight.

what can we further expect? how much will she lose?

She will level out. Her body will know when to stop, she can also adjust her calories to maintain or even gain a few lbs if needed. If it becomes a real concern she can consult her nutritionist to help her get to and maintain a healthy weight.

1 hour ago, jantje said:

Hi all,

my wife had a weightloss surgery at december 1st 2021, she was 308 lbs, now she has already hit 209 lbs, im scared shes gona lose too much weight.

what can we further expect? how much will she lose?

It's difficult to answer this question because you told us she now weighs 209 pounds, but you failed to give her height. Is she 5'10, 5'? Which surgery did she have?

Why are you scared she's going to lose too much weight? Maybe you're just not used to her being at a "healthy weight."

I hope you're supporting her weight loss journey to a new, healthier weight and not badgering her about "losing too much weight" There's nothing worse than someone close to you not being supportive when you're trying to become healthier. J/s.

33 minutes ago, WhispersOfAngel said:

It's difficult to answer this question because you told us she now weighs 209 pounds, but you failed to give her height. Is she 5'10, 5'? Which surgery did she have?

Why are you scared she's going to lose too much weight? Maybe you're just not used to her being at a "healthy weight."

I hope you're supporting her weight loss journey to a new, healthier weight and not badgering her about "losing too much weight" There's nothing worse than someone close to you not being supportive when you're trying to become healthier. J/s.

ofc i'm supporting her in her journey, no worries. all support to her right now.

btw her height is 5'7 and had a sleeve surgery

At 5'7 and 209 still in the overweight range and has still 49lb before reaching the top of the BMI for the height of 5'7.

130lb would give a BMI of approx 20 which is at the lower end of the healthy weight range for the height.

BMI isn't the be all end all of healthy weight as it doesn't account for body composition, but it is a fair indication for most of us as we are not athletes or body builders.

A lot of people get to a fairly low weight following WLS, however, they typically gain some weight once they've reached their lowest weight.

Best weight for your wife is the one agreed between her and her doctor/surgeon or herself only, and at the end of the day, weight isn't only the indicator of good health. Body fat percentage, blood sugars, fitness, cholesterol etc are possibly better indicators.

I only mentioned the support part because it happens. If you read this thread, you'll get an understanding what, we the weight loss surgery patients often deal with from those closest to us.

And also this calculator for weight loss surgery can give you a guesstimate of what she might weigh when her body settles on its new weight. https://www.obesitycoverage.com/weight-loss-surgeries/gastric-bypass/how-much-can-i-expect-to-lose I plugged in her info and it says at 18 months out, 20% of sleeve patients weigh 185. Check it out for yourself. Just make sure you're looking at the correct surgery. It gives options for Band, Bypass and Sleeve.

1 hour ago, WhispersOfAngel said:

I only mentioned the support part because it happens. If you read this thread, you'll get an understanding what, we the weight loss surgery patients often deal with from those closest to us.

And also this calculator for weight loss surgery can give you a guesstimate of what she might weigh when her body settles on its new weight. https://www.obesitycoverage.com/weight-loss-surgeries/gastric-bypass/how-much-can-i-expect-to-lose I plugged in her info and it says at 18 months out, 20% of sleeve patients weigh 185. Check it out for yourself. Just make sure you're looking at the correct surgery. It gives options for Band, Bypass and Sleeve.

yea she got some toxic reactions already... especialy from female friends.

Thank fot the tips, i only was a bit surprises she still is losing 5.5 lbs/week after 4/5 monthe post surgery

Just looking at dates and math, she lost 100lbs in one month?

5 minutes ago, learn2cook said:

no,average 22 lbs a month

7 minutes ago, jantje said:

yea she got some toxic reactions already... especialy from female friends.

Thank fot the tips, i only was a bit surprises she still is losing 5.5 lbs/week after 4/5 monthe post surgery

Those reactions are possibly just jealousy/envy rearing its ugly head. It happens, unfortunately.

And yeah that does seem like a lot of weight loss per week that far out. Maybe she should reach out to her nutritionist and see what they say.

8 minutes ago, learn2cook said:

Her surgery date was December 1, 2021.

Chances are the weight loss will slow and she will level out naturally as she gets closer to a healthy weight but if not she can always work with the nutritionist to add in healthy calories to get to a balance that we call maintenance when she gets to a weight that her and her doctor feel is best. Some people shoot for a weight that is ten to 15 pounds lower than they want because of regain that happens to most of us.

On 3/16/2022 at 3:33 PM, WhispersOfAngel said:

Those reactions are possibly just jealousy/envy rearing its ugly head. It happens, unfortunately.

And yeah that does seem like a lot of weight loss per week that far out. Maybe she should reach out to her nutritionist and see what they say.

thank for your advice, i'll keep that in mind if the progress keeps continuing like this

14 minutes ago, jantje said:

thank for your advice, i'll keep that in mind if the progress keeps continuing like this

You're welcome.

On 3/16/2022 at 1:16 PM, WhispersOfAngel said:

Really interesting - thank you!