Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just saw the results of my pre-op bloodwork from the lab and I’m nervous that the doctor will say no surgery date for you. My triglycerides were in the high range, blood glucose was 161, a1c was 8.0, and there were a few other things in the red as well.

Has anyone experienced this?
I don’t have my sidebar filled out as I’m on the mobile app.

The pre-op bloodwork is the last step, they tell me, before getting a surgery date.

This is the entire point of getting weight loss surgery. To help you get healthier. These are your baseline labs. At one of your upcoming post op visit, possibly your one year post op appointment, your doctor will reorder these tests and show you how much improvement you have made after losing weight. It's not about denying you for weight loss surgery.

It is unlikely that these results will preclude surgery. It’s possible that they may want you to go on medication to reduce your blood glucose/A1C before surgery, but lowering blood glucose is one of the desired outcomes from surgery, so not a read to deny it.

My surgeon was mostly concerned with Iron levels. If that was to low, then surgery is postponed until iron levels go up. A lot of people have diabetes and it is one of the reasons that surgery is approved by insurance companies.

I doubt there is much in your labs that would make them deny you. People with far higher BMI’s and many more medical problems get this surgery. They are a higher risk of course but they do the surgery with hopes of improving some of these medical issues.

Not sure about my other labs, but the packet I got from my surgery center said that my A1C has to be below 9 before doing the surgery, basically to ensure that diabetics are making an effort to control it. Mine is in the 7's so I just have to watch that I keep it there or lower it.

Thanks for the stress relieving words!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 2 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Having gall bladder surgery in a few days and I so hope the recovery is easier than the one from the modified DS! I could use a bit of luck/pep talk for a change. I'm starting to be able to walk around without experiencing dizziness, but it would be great if the random pain in my chest and abdomen would go away!!
      · 0 replies
    • Dawn 1974

4/4/2024 - new patient orientation. Wt 313
      4/5/2024 - got all my lab work done.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!