Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WLS (sleeve) schedule for 4/26th 😁

Well I met with my surgeon yesterday and I'm scheduled for surgery on April 26th. I'm extremely happy and nervous all at the same time. I already see a change in my attitude (I'm happier) just knowing I'm going to have a better and healthier future. But I do still question if im doing the right thing. Im not Severely overweight. Im 5'6" and weighed 218 yesterday. But Im have other health concerns and I'm trying to address this quickly instead of waiting. But With the what if's. What if Im the one out of so many with the complications. Like bad heartburn, I do some acid reflux now but I don't have to be on a daily medicine. The complications are scary but not living happy is scary too. I'm not trying to bring myself down. Did anyone have this scared feeling if your doing the right thing and come out of it with or without regrets

I had silent reflux before surgery and had the sleeve. like you I didn't take meds daily but sometimes I needed to up my dosage and take Gaviscon, now I take 20mg nexium daily (only because I am to scared to come off them yet) and haven't had any reflux symptoms. I was the same the first 4 months were the worst then at 6 months i started to feel happy about the whole thing. the hardest thing I am coping with is Hair loss mainly because my hair was a prominent feature of mine.

1 hour ago, SleeverSk said:

I had silent reflux before surgery and had the sleeve. like you I didn't take meds daily but sometimes I needed to up my dosage and take Gaviscon, now I take 20mg nexium daily (only because I am to scared to come off them yet) and haven't had any reflux symptoms. I was the same the first 4 months were the worst then at 6 months i started to feel happy about the whole thing. the hardest thing I am coping with is Hair loss mainly because my hair was a prominent feature of mine.

Has your hair stopped thinning out now? I've started taking high dose of Biotin and a good multi Vitamin. I'm hoping that getting it in my system before surgery will help. That might be wishful thinking.

I'm coming home the same day as surgery and my dr said I could go back to work in a week but I planning on being off 2 weeks. When you say the first 4 weeks were the worse. What do you mean?

I am 5’8” and weighed 220 on surgery day. Idk about you but I know that I have tried every diet out there and may have lost but I gained that plus some. My gynecologist pulled my records for me and I gained about five pounds a year on average for over ten years (that’s as far as they could go back). I knew that if I waited I would just gain more, period. I was one year out yesterday and I am currently 9 pounds from goal (5 from a normal BMI). I never had any heartburn either and I am on medications that I was worried about how they will absorb but so far so good. Not one incidence of heartburn and medication works fine. Absolutely no regrets here.

Edited by ShoppGirl

3 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

I am 5’8” and weighed 220 on surgery day. Idk about you but I know that I have tried every diet out there and may have lost but I gained that plus some. My gynecologist pulled my records for me and I gained about five pounds a year on average for over ten years (that’s as far as they could go back). I knew that if I waited I would just gain more, period. I was one year out yesterday and I am currently 9 pounds from goal (5 from a normal BMI). I never had any heartburn either and I am on medications that I was worried about how they will absorb but so far so good. Not one incidence of heartburn and medication works fine. Absolutely no regrets here.

I have tied diets and diet pills that my gynecologist put me on. I would lose in the past. But like you I would gain all plus some back. I even asked my WL surgeon yesterday about wl shots. And he said they would not help me. I've not been able to lose weight this past year at all. I gained over 40 lbs in 8 months last year. I've not really gained any more but I haven't lost and I've honestly tried to lose.
What was your wl goal? I put on my paperwork 130 to 140. Not sure if I should go up on my goal.
I guess the acid reflux was the only complication I actually worried about when he was going over everything. When I do get it it's the worse feeling (I just hate it) So I wonder should I start taking something now to prevent it just in case?

4 hours ago, Jue said:

When I had the sleeve done in 2010 I took zinc and seleuim Vitamins for my hair

Thanks I'll look in to that. I'm a hairstylist and we always suggest Biotin. I didn't really know anything else worked for just hair.

7 minutes ago, Robz said:

I have tied diets and diet pills that my gynecologist put me on. I would lose in the past. But like you I would gain all plus some back. I even asked my WL surgeon yesterday about wl shots. And he said they would not help me. I've not been able to lose weight this past year at all. I gained over 40 lbs in 8 months last year. I've not really gained any more but I haven't lost and I've honestly tried to lose.
What was your wl goal? I put on my paperwork 130 to 140. Not sure if I should go up on my goal.
I guess the acid reflux was the only complication I actually worried about when he was going over everything. When I do get it it's the worse feeling (I just hate it) So I wonder should I start taking something now to prevent it just in case?

My goal is 160 but I am a little taller than you and I also have bipolar and statistically we do not lose as much weight. Have you even considered bypass if You get heartburn already or is it really infrequent and the doctor thinks your fine with sleeve? I wanted bypass because you lose a little more weight but the doctor advised against it because of medication absorption. Well he left it up to me but his first choice for me was sleeve. They are both really good and relatively safe surgeries.

Edited by ShoppGirl

There is a thread on here called “weirdest non scale victories” that you should check out. It will remind you of all the little things that will change or become easier for you when you lose the weight. It should help With some of the anxiety.

3 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

My goal is 160 but I am a little taller than you and I also have bipolar and statistically we do not lose as much weight. Have you even considered bypass if You get heartburn already or is it really infrequent and the doctor thinks your fine with sleeve? I wanted bypass because you lose a little more weight but the doctor advised against it because of medication absorption. Well he left it up to me but his first choice for me was sleeve. They are both really good and relatively safe surgeries.

I actually don't think I qualify for the bypass surgery. But no I don't want the bypass. My acid reflux doesn't happen everyday. So I don't consider it a problem. But it's to my understanding it can become a problem after wls.

1 minute ago, ShoppGirl said:

There is a thread on here called “weirdest non scale victories” that you should check out. It will remind you of all the little things that will change or become easier for you when you lose the weight. It should help With some of the anxiety.

Great. Thanks for letting me know!!

9 minutes ago, Robz said:

I actually don't think I qualify for the bypass surgery. But no I don't want the bypass. My acid reflux doesn't happen everyday. So I don't consider it a problem. But it's to my understanding it can become a problem after wls.

it is more of a problem with sleeve. Some people who are not willing to take the risk go with bypass instead.

7 hours ago, Robz said:

Has your hair stopped thinning out now? I've started taking high dose of Biotin and a good multi Vitamin. I'm hoping that getting it in my system before surgery will help. That might be wishful thinking.

I'm coming home the same day as surgery and my dr said I could go back to work in a week but I planning on being off 2 weeks. When you say the first 4 weeks were the worse. What do you mean?

The Hair loss generally lasts about three months. This is the same for the people who didn’t take supplements like Biotin & those who did. The hair you’ll lose is already dead & would have been shed anyway. The stress of the surgery & weight loss accelerate your natural hair loss cycle but your natural hair regrowth remains unchanged. So while you’re losing hair, you’re still growing new hair. It is only the new hair that may benefit from any supplements.

During the first month you often feel weak, have low energy, experience some brain fog & shorter concentration spans. But we are all different in our recovery. A friend was back at work after a week no issue. Another took three weeks. Me, I still struggled after 4 weeks but my BP was very low (but that is my normal).

14 hours ago, Robz said:

It's still falling more than I would consider normal BUT I have lots of new growth. I don't think it something you can avoid if your hair is going to thin out it will.

Everyone is different in how their body reacts to surgery I had a really rough time mentally and I guess physically as I just didn't have to strength or motivation to do anything I ended up having 9 weeks off work.

So I had a deep seated regret after the surgery which lasted about 4 months but I am ok now 8 months out.

10 hours ago, SleeverSk said:

It's still falling more than I would consider normal BUT I have lots of new growth. I don't think it something you can avoid if your hair is going to thin out it will.

Everyone is different in how their body reacts to surgery I had a really rough time mentally and I guess physically as I just didn't have to strength or motivation to do anything I ended up having 9 weeks off work.

So I had a deep seated regret after the surgery which lasted about 4 months but I am ok now 8 months out.

Oh wow. I hate that you went thru that. I'm glad I'm choosing to take off 2 weeks instead of just one.