Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diet day 4, Zero appetite?

I am on day 4 of my pre-op diet for VSG scheduled 3/24. For the first two days I was STARVING and snacked all day on cucumbers and bell peppers in addition to the diet plan. My diet plan consists of one Protein Shake for Breakfast, one for lunch, and then 5 oz lean Protein and unlimited non starchy vegetables for dinner. Staring yesterday and today as well I have been experiencing zero appetite. This morning I had to make myself drink the protein shake where two days ago I was savoring every sip. I am not craving any foods, not even carbs, and have little desire to eat. Is this normal? Does anyone know what is going on with me?

Its a good thing don't knock it !! there could be many reasons for it 1 that comes to mind is that you are meeting the nutrients your body needs. Maybe you are more hydrated now, what ever the reason its a good thing it will make your pre op diet much easier thats for sure

my diet was all liquid plus four Protein Shakes a day, so first of all, consider yourself lucky that you can have a meal!

secondly, since your eating very few carbs, your body is likely in ketosis. It usually happens after three or four days of ultra-low carb eating. It was that way with the all-liquid diet, too - after about four days, it got easier because I wasn't so ravishingly hungry.

I had a similar experience pre-op. Thankfully, I have not had huge return to hunger and cravings in the 6 months since my surgery. I think a lot has to do with my Water intake. I drink an obscenely high amount of water which I think keeps me relatively full feeling. I taper off the water about 45 minutes before meal time, have my meal, wait another 45 minutes and hit the water again. Follow what the team tells you to do and you will end up losing a lot of weight. I am 96 down and looking at losing another 12-15 and levelling off. Good luck.

I am on the pre-op diet too, day 4. I have not been hungry at all between "meals/shakes". I even reached out to my team to find out if I had to eat/drink everything on the diet. She said as much as possible so I get the proper nutrients. I haven't eaten all my "meals" since I started and today I am literally forcing myself to eat which makes me feel sick. Like @SleeverSk mentioned, I am not knocking it because I have heard of people really struggling through this and cheating. I appreciate that it has been easy so far and hope it continues until surgery on the 21st and for a while after.

1 hour ago, kcuster83 said:

I am on the pre-op diet too, day 4. I have not been hungry at all between "meals/shakes". I even reached out to my team to find out if I had to eat/drink everything on the diet. She said as much as possible so I get the proper nutrients. I haven't eaten all my "meals" since I started and today I am literally forcing myself to eat which makes me feel sick. Like @SleeverSk mentioned, I am not knocking it because I have heard of people really struggling through this and cheating. I appreciate that it has been easy so far and hope it continues until surgery on the 21st and for a while after.

Exactly! I am going to try to make shrimp tonight and see if that helps as it is one of my favorite foods.

4 minutes ago, tristynftw said:

Exactly! I am going to try to make shrimp tonight and see if that helps as it is one of my favorite foods.

Good luck!

Be thankful you’re not hungry. I’m on day one of my three week pre op diet and I’m definitely hungry. I’m hoping this gets better.

9 minutes ago, Maurej said:

Be thankful you’re not hungry. I’m on day one of my three week pre op diet and I’m definitely hungry. I’m hoping this gets better.

That was me on days 1 and 2. I was ravenous. Now I am experiencing mild nausea when eating instead. Neither is fun.

First couple of days were rough for me too. Now, day 5, it's not bad. Matter of fact, the other day I walked into a place that sells Cinnabon, the scent of which usually gets my mouth watering, instead it made me slightly nauseous. I'm drinking tons of Water though. The first few days this was to manage hunger, now it's just to keep hydrated. The low calories have triggered a couple of Migraines though.

Thanks. I’m on day 2 now and it’s not too bad. The only problem I have is that with drinking all this Water, I’m spending half my day running to the bathroom. I’m also freezing from drinking all this water!

5 minutes ago, Maurej said:

Thanks. I’m on day 2 now and it’s not too bad. The only problem I have is that with drinking all this Water, I’m spending half my day running to the bathroom. I’m also freezing from drinking all this water!

haha same here. I always drink a lot of Water but I guess I don't have any food to absorb it so it is going right through me.