Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I eating too much?

Hi

Im a bit worried I am able to eat too much. I have had very little guidance from the dietician since my gastric bypass but have just emailed them for advice.

Im concerned that I am able to eat too much for 8 weeks post bypass. Tonight I have had a 2 egg omelette with cheese and ham and plum tomatoes. I ate maybe 1/2 -3/4 of the omelette and 2 tomatoes. Is this too much do you think? I feel full but not uncomfortable.

Did you drink?

Also it sounds like you ate one egg with a little ham and Tomato. Not a huge amount.

Also, how long did it take you?

Edited by Guest

Hi. Thanks for replying. No didn’t stink for half an hour before or after. It took me about 10 minutes to eat but I’m still working on eating slower.

Did your surgeon give an amount of food to eat?
Mine & my daughter’s surgeon/plan/team (we each had different doctors) told us to not eat more then 3 oz. I am over 3 years out & I still weight my food at home. When we go out I cut my meat in 1/2 & have about 2 bites of veggies. I know that’s about 3oz.
I know from doing my own cooking that adding ham, cheese & Tomato to 1 egg is more then 3 oz.
Stick with your plan & doctors instructions! Don’t try to eat more just because you can.

I haven’t been given a plan, that why I’m asking. I’m in the uk so not sure if it is different here but they haven’t given me any set amounts of food to eat apart from 65g of Protein a day.

48 minutes ago, Doodle41 said:

I haven’t been given a plan, that why I’m asking. I’m in the uk so not sure if it is different here but they haven’t given me any set amounts of food to eat apart from 65g of Protein a day.

How far out are you?, I am 7 months out and that is roughly the amount I Can eat too. I can eat almost all of a 2 egg omelette with baby spinach, tomatoes, cheese and bacon in it.

13 minutes ago, SleeverSk said:

How far out are you?, I am 7 months out and that is roughly the amount I Can eat too. I can eat almost all of a 2 egg omelette with baby spinach, tomatoes, cheese and bacon in it.

I’m 8 weeks out. Maybe I am pushing it a bit and should cut back a little. Hopefully my dietitian will give me some guidance if they ever get back to me.

1 hour ago, Doodle41 said:

I’m 8 weeks out. Maybe I am pushing it a bit and should cut back a little. Hopefully my dietitian will give me some guidance if they ever get back to me.

oh yes at 8 weeks out it probably is a bit much usually they say 1 cup of food per meal at this stage, doesnt sound like much but it actually is a fair amount

At 8 weeks I wasn’t eating 1/2 cup. Two scrambled eggs would take three days to eat. But we are different & there are a lot of different plans some which encourage you to eat more than what I did. Hopefully your dietician will get back to you with more specifics around portion size, etc. which will best suit you.

You do need to work at eating more slowly & taking small bites. Use smaller cutlery (I used a teaspoon for ages). Put your cutlery down between bites & wait a couple of minutes before taking the next. Distract yourself if needed. Have a conversation with your family between bites. Read a page, wait for an ad break, play a game of solitaire or sudoku online, listen to a song between bites or whatever. I still take ages to eat 30 - 60 minutes is usual depending upon what I’m eating. Remember it takes time for that message you’re full or had enough to get through & often by the time you feel full you’ve eaten more & are actually more than full.

All the best.

Edited by Arabesque

Get an egg cup. Eat two of those. Don't eat more. Don't think the not drink half an hour before is necessary, 10 minutes is probably fine but try then leave it a whole hour after. Once you drink, the food is gone. Listen to your body very well and don't try and rely on the restriction.

My dietitian didn’t tell me how much or how little either. She said, keep it simple. Try for 60-80 grams of Protein per day. If you can do that much, try for some veg. The basic goal is 20g of protein per meal. I wouldn’t stress out about stretching your pouch, but do eat slowly and weigh and measure your food. My dietitian said 4 oz weight or 113.4 grams is the protein goal per meal (just my plan). It took me until 5 months to consistently get that far. At 6 months out, I’ve learned that it takes my pouch 35-40 minutes to signal it’s full. So weigh, measure, record is my motto.

One meal of egg looks like 4 eggs (yuck), or 2 large eggs, 1 oz 50% fat reduced lactose free cheese, 1 oz ham. 1 oz roughly equals 28 grams. 20 grams of nutritional protein weights 113.398 grams of weight (of meat). I hope this helps, but it’s only my plan. I hope you’re dietitian gets back to you.