Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks post op can’t tell when full

Hey everyone so I’m 2 weeks post op and have now started puree foods and I can’t tell when I’m full. I eat slowly and chew as much as possible I’m not drinking when I eat and yet I don’t feel full ever. The only way I seem to tell is when I finally throw up or I just guess. Does anyone have this problem or advice?

Hooold up! :) :) It took me 6-8 weeks for the nerves in my stomach to heal to help me feel restriction. Your new stomach may simply be numb still. So tread carefully, you'll get the restriction soon.

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

Hooold up! :) :) It took me 6-8 weeks for the nerves in my stomach to heal to help me feel restriction. Your new stomach may simply be numb still. So tread carefully, you'll get the restriction soon.

Thanks so much for the encouragement been just worried!!!

Just now, Ccosta0425 said:

Thanks so much for the encouragement been just worried!!!

I was worried too! Would I never have restriction (as an MGB patient that'd be okay, but not ideal at the time - for a sleever it'd be terrible, I guess!)

I called the hospital and they were like chill, dude, tell us how it feels in a few months' time, until then stick to the plan. And surely, restriction arrived (as much as MGB has restriction, it's a lot less).

4 minutes ago, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

I was worried too! Would I never have restriction (as an MGB patient that'd be okay, but not ideal at the time - for a sleever it'd be terrible, I guess!)

I called the hospital and they were like chill, dude, tell us how it feels in a few months' time, until then stick to the plan. And surely, restriction arrived (as much as MGB has restriction, it's a lot less).

Thank you for relieving my stress I’ve been so worried

Here is what I did early on, when the stomach didn't have the same "I'm full!" alarm that it had pre-surgery.

I would stop and ask myself, "Am I as hungry as I was before I started eating?" If the answer was, "no," I would stop eating. If I found myself hungry in the next few minutes, I would resume eating. If I didn't feel hungry, I would just throw the food away or save it for later.

This trick continues to work well for me to keep from grazing myself into trouble.

a couple of things going on here - 1) purees go through you pretty quickly. You'll start feeling restriction when you move to solid food. 2) as others have said, you've had nerves cut, and it takes awhile for them to regenerate. So right now, your stomach isn't really talking to your brain. Just measure out what you're supposed to eat and eat that, rather than going by your former full signals.

and speaking of which, full signals are often different after surgery. I rarely feel "full" in the way I did before surgery. Now, I start feeling a discomfort in my chest - sort of like a pressure. I know once I start feeling that, I need to quit eating or I'm going to be sorry. Others have even weirder "full" signals - like a runny nose or sneezing! So it may take awhile to figure out your new "full" cues, too. But this'll all come with time..

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

a couple of things going on here - 1) purees go through you pretty quickly. You'll start feeling restriction when you move to solid food. 2) as others have said, you've had nerves cut, and it takes awhile for them to regenerate. So right now, your stomach isn't really talking to your brain. Just measure out what you're supposed to eat and eat that, rather than going by your former full signals.

and speaking of which, full signals are often different after surgery. I rarely feel "full" in the way I did before surgery. Now, I start feeling a discomfort in my chest - sort of like a pressure. I know once I start feeling that, I need to quit eating or I'm going to be sorry. Others have even weirder "full" signals - like a runny nose or sneezing! So it may take awhile to figure out your new "full" cues, too. But this'll all come with time..

I didn’t realize it could be so different! I knew I would feel different but never realized a sneeze could mean I’m full. Thanks for the heads up

I kinda miss the runny nose. It went away after 4-5 months, but man was that weird :D

You’ll work out your cues for real hunger & feeling satisfied. It just takes a little time. Try not to eat until you’re full though, but stop when you’ve had enough - big difference. The message you’re full actually takes a bit of time to get through & when you do think you’re full you’re likely really or overly full. It’s one of the reasons we’re advised to eat slowly. I still ask myself do I need this next bite or just want it? Never be afraid to put your cutlery down & sit back from the table.

Stick to 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup portion sizes and stop when you've eaten that much even if you don't feel full.

5 hours ago, GradyCat said:

Stick to 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup portion sizes and stop when you've eaten that much even if you don't feel full.

Thank you this is perfect I did it for Breakfast and ate nice and slow thank you so much

I am 7 months out and I still cant tell, I could in the early days say the 3 month mark but now nope I am just guessing when I have had enough and sometimes I think I eat to much but I just don't feel any restriction the way others describe it

I use to measure and weigh my food but I just go by sight now or I use the recommended serving size on the packets if it comes in a packet.