Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this hunger real or imagined?

At 2.5 weeks out, how much food should I be consuming? If I feel hungry between "meals" (If we can call it that!) is it phantom hunger? Is it possible for me to be hungry if my stomach is so small? This is so confusing. I don't want to eat too much, I'm afraid of stretching my stomach and getting used to food too quickly. But what does the hunger mean? I tried drinking instead of eating (bec I'm low on drinking anyway, so kill 2 birds with one stone) but it doesn't help.

You have to do all of the things that the surgeon and nutritionists say. Drink, drink, drink #1, make sure you are getting a MINIMUM of 60g of Protein per day, more if possible. Try drinking Protein Shakes between meals instead of Water if you are still hungry. protein will help with the hunger feeling. Just tough it out just a little longer...it gets much, much easier in the 2nd and 3rd month. Remember..drink 64 oz minimum per day, 60-80 g of protein minimum. If you don't do those things it will be more difficult for you.

In the early weeks I had trouble with eating the Proteins so had 5 tiny meals a day. I tried for 6 but never made it. At your stage I really didnt get many calories in, maybe about 300 to 350 a day . My dietician said just do your best and don't count calories. Every body has different instructions so just do the best you can within them

The best way to tell the difference between head hunger and actual hunger is what you are craving. Head hunger you crave something specific, usually something you shouldn’t be eating. With actual hunger you could eat anything. Even vegetables or whatever healthy option you usually don’t love sound good.

17 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

The best way to tell the difference between head hunger and actual hunger is what you are craving. Head hunger you crave something specific, usually something you shouldn’t be eating. With actual hunger you could eat anything. Even vegetables or whatever healthy option you usually don’t love sound good.

Exactly this: I was so hungry after surgery and everyone was saying it was just head hunger, but I knew it was TRUE hunger because I would have eaten anything.

I couldn't figure out if I was going crazy or if my surgery was wrong, but then I talked to the therapist at my bariatric center and she said about 20% of her patients don't lose their hunger after surgery. I eat three meals and 2 Snacks a day and I'm 5 months out. The surgery center is very happy with my progress.

Don't worry about stretching your stomach. Newer research suggests this is not really a thing, and it may not be possible. The stomach normally stretches and contracts all the time.

Yes, I think it IS real hunger, because I'm not craving a snack or specific food, I feel like I need SOMETHING, anything in my stomach. A fruit, veg, Protein, anything. Well... ALMOST anything... NOT a Protein Shake, which I can barely choke down anymore. But I wonder if that's why I'm feeling hungry, bec I just can't do the shakes, and my body probably needs the protein...

2 minutes ago, idk4w said:

Yes, I think it IS real hunger, because I'm not craving a snack or specific food, I feel like I need SOMETHING, anything in my stomach. A fruit, veg, Protein, anything. Well... ALMOST anything... NOT a Protein Shake, which I can barely choke down anymore. But I wonder if that's why I'm feeling hungry, bec I just can't do the shakes, and my body probably needs the protein...

Have you tried the clear Protein Drinks or mixing the unflavored Protein In other things?

Edited by ShoppGirl

1 minute ago, idk4w said:

I got really sick of Protein drinks too. I started mixing the chocolate ones with iced coffee. Also, try low-sugar Greek yogurt. If you are able to have mushy foods, try refried Beans with plain Greek yogurt and some cheese.

You may get less hungry once you're on solid foods.

I second the Greek yogurt option for Protein. Depending on your program and what you can eat at this stage, cheese (fat free or low fat) was my friend. It kind of still is. Seriously, ricotta bake (I hunted down fat free ricotta), cottage cheese (refuse to touch it now, but it was amazing post op). Refried Beans were a huge hit for me - I couldn't do pureed meat and even soft white fish did not agree with my tummy. Pureed legume Soups (lentil, split pea with ham - it looks like baby poop when pureed but tasted amazing when nothing else did) were a huge hit during that stage.

It might be too early for some of these things depending on your program, but soon enough you'll be able to have them and I definitely recommend looking into them when you can.

Also, a comment on Protein Shakes. Not sure what you have tried, but post op, I preferred Unjury powder mixed with unsweetened soy milk. So much more palatable than the pre-mixed shakes. Even now, I have premixed on hand for when I am on the go and need extra calories for the day, but mixing my own is a huge improvement.