Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric bypass and exhaustion

Hey!

I know I've been posting a lot but I'm curious, I'm 5 days post op. The pain has subsided a lot but I still need to wear my binder.

I'm experiencing such low levels of energy and stamina I can't even enjoy my weight loss. Pre op I was training for a half marathon and able to walk and run without being short of breath.

When I walk my legs give out and my chest pulsates. Is this normal? My family says it's because I'm not eating.

Ive walked inbetween 8000 and 10000 steps a day since surgery 5 days ago.

I have all my Protein and most all my hydration every day. I'm nervous it's going to be like this for a month and I'm so unhappy with the lack of energy.

Has anyone experienced this or can give advice?

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

Of course that's bound to happen initially since we are surviving on extremely low calories first few weeks to a month post-Op. I have had bounts of low energy, fatique and lethargy on and off for the first 5 to 6 weeks. The first 2 or 3 weeks are the lowest given our body is recovering from a major shock. It gets better and it has for me.

Have you by chance had a not minor surgery on your stomach recently?

I ask because such surgeries can be very stressful on both mind and body. It's common during such surgeries to have your body pumped full of drugs to both put you to sleep and wake you up, drugs to deaden pain, both fluids and gasses to make surgery manageable for the medical team. Then, there is the starvation diet most programs put the patients on in the weeks before and after surgery.

You may not remember such a surgery. I know I slept straight through mine. If you've lost a couple days, surgery may just explain all of it.

Be careful not to resume to much activity too quickly as it can over stress your system.

Be both patient and persistent with yourself and you'll be back where you were in no time. In fact, once you get to consuming adequate calories you will again be exhibiting an abundance of energy with which to continue your binge walking/running.

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

Those 1st couple of months can be rough! Your body is going through a MAJOR change! You should be focusing on Protein & hydration. Sounds like you are achieving that. As you add more food consistency and are able to exercise more your energy will return.
I could not get over how few calories I was consuming those first few weeks!

Hang in there it will be worth it!

I appreciate it. I know I guess I just get nervous about clotting so I want to keep moving but at this point I feel like I'm going to pass out when I walk. I appreciate the sarcasm too lol I am a worry wart for sure. I can't wait to eat food again and see how much that changes my energy. Thanks for letting me vent and giving sound advice. I'm so ready to feel better and enjoy the fact that weight is coming off.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

1 minute ago, fourmonthspreop said:

I appreciate it. I know I guess I just get nervous about clotting so I want to keep moving but at this point I feel like I'm going to pass out when I walk. I appreciate the sarcasm too lol I am a worry wart for sure. I can't wait to eat food again and see how much that changes my energy. Thanks for letting me vent and giving sound advice. I'm so ready to feel better and enjoy the fact that weight is coming off.

Not sarcasm. Dry wit.

I had a blast when I was preparing for my marathons way back when. I take more pride in the marathons than I do the weight loss. One of my fondest memories is running across the Golden Gate Bridge.

Enjoy and good luck,

Tek

I think this is very normal for after surgery, I say just keep a good spirit about it and your head up and I'm sure it will get better soon. For me, after about two weeks it was pretty much life as normal again. Best of luck!

As everyone has said, the lack of energy is very common & to be expected given the surgery, low calorie intake, etc. Try adding an electrolyte drink to your Fluid rotation. I found them very helpful. You may be doing a little too much this soon after your surgery. How far are you walking? How often are you walking. Sometimes two shorter walks is easier than one long walk. Listen to your body. If it says you’re not ready take a step back with how much you’re doing & learn to love the nana nap. Rest & sleep is best for healing.

All the best.

very common. It could take up to a couple of months before your previous energy is back. 8000-10,000 steps a day this soon after surgery would probably be overkill for most people - if it's wearing you out, I'd cut back. Your body needs a lot of energy to heal. You'll be back up there soon enough...

Ok, first for people to think you are "surviving on very low Calories" or your family saying you're not eating simply isn't the case. You have all the calories you require each day, if you did not, you would be dead. You are mobilising your fat reserves for the portion of daily calories that are not sourced from nutrition. Your tiredness is the fact that you seem to be pushing yourself to walk far more than is probably sensible this soon after surgery and also....have just undergone major surgery. Also your body is adapting to a fat burning metric and while your fat reserves can supply 100% of your daily calorie requirements, they cannot do so at a peak rate so things like running quickly are off the menu while you aren't getting energy from carbohydrates (and you shouldn't be for now).

So if you're tired...relax. Give your body a break while it recovers.

I walked that much after surgery too, because my normal before surgery was 12-15k a day. Gatorade Zero or it’s equivalent helped me as well as hitting 1k steps every hour to spread it out. I also had small Snacks between meals. My doc said no serious work outs until 3 weeks and to ease into it, just mild walking and movement. I had to wait for 6-8 weeks for weights and yoga. Talk to your center for their guidance.