Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2020 and was wondering if WLs has truly change it for you better or worse. Part of the reason I am doing this surgery is to hopefully get rid of the weight that is impossible to lose due to PCOS but also because I heard it "cures" it. What are you're thoughts or experiences?

Edited by Dfidelman

I had two friends that had PICOs and had the sleeve done. Their goal was to have children and they both achieved their aim. They both had regain after having one child, and were in the same boat as before. One took charge of her life a little more and delegated household authority to an older child and husband and practiced hot yoga, meditation, and weighs and measures her food. Basically she kept working her program and lost the excess weight again. She still struggles to keep it off because she says it does alleviate her PICOs symptoms even in peri-menopause now. She has a strong motivation to be around and active with her younger husband and youngest child.

On 2/19/2022 at 6:25 AM, learn2cook said:

I had two friends that had PICOs and had the sleeve done. Their goal was to have children and they both achieved their aim. They both had regain after having one child, and were in the same boat as before. One took charge of her life a little more and delegated household authority to an older child and husband and practiced hot yoga, meditation, and weighs and measures her food. Basically she kept working her program and lost the excess weight again. She still struggles to keep it off because she says it does alleviate her PICOs symptoms even in peri-menopause now. She has a strong motivation to be around and active with her younger husband and youngest child.

I appreciate you sharing your story with me. It is interesting to see both ends of the coin and I know nothing is absolute especially reading off the internet but I always see it will cure it or reduce symptoms. That a huge reason why WLS was an option for me. I used to be a fitness person (or at least for 2 yrs. ) but I was torturing myself. I would do 1200 Calories a day and 4 hours of working out to shed any pounds. This got me to lose 2-5 lbs a week but then would eat something like a bowl of cheerios and gain 5 back. It was disheartening and to only get to 198 naturally and stop, ugh!

Just answered someone else asking about PCOS and the surgery so I will just copy and paste what I wrote to them.

I am just coming up on 10 months post op and have lost about 73lbs. I've dealt with PCOS, Endometriosis, Adenomyosis, Insulin Resistance, Migraines, etc. all my life.

10 years ago I was put on Metformin to help with those issues. Especially my PCOS, IR and it worked wonders for those things (and made my Migraines disappear too). The Metformin kept me regular all those years, lessened my periods in days and volume, helped my cramps, etc.

However, since getting the surgery I had my Metformin cut in half and I "think" I may be taken off of it all together eventually. But I have to say that since my dose was cut in half my periods have been heavier, come late/sporadically, stay super long (last one lasted 12 days), etc. REGARDLESS of the surgery. So, I don't know that surgery helped ME with those issues. But it has helped with my high BP and I am almost off of that medication too.

I never dealt with acanthosis nigricans so I can't offer any info on that.

On 2/18/2022 at 10:34 PM, Dfidelman said:

Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2020 and was wondering if WLs has truly change it for you better or worse. Part of the reason I am doing this surgery is to hopefully get rid of the weight that is impossible to lose due to PCOS but also because I heard it "cures" it. What are you're thoughts or experiences?

I'm interested to know this, too. I was diagnosed in 2005. My surgeon has had MANY women with PCOS have surgery and said he has seen a lot of success with it. I'm really hopeful...

On 4/5/2022 at 3:07 PM, ilsainparis said:

Did you have the sleeve or the bypass? Do you know your fasting insulin versus before / after for your IR?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using BariatricPal mobile app

I have yet to have my surgery still duelling it out with my psych stuff. It would have been a yr anniversary. I am hoping for the sleeve though tbh . I also dont know my insulin levels can't imagine it is good though with PCOS and my dieting has plummeted with recent job ugh. trying to get back on track though.

Well, now that I've had my surgery, I can comment again on this from the other side. I will be honest, the pcos makes it harder to lose weight and keep it off. But if you stick RELIGIOUSLY to your diet, work out (even if it's a little everyday, nothing crazy), you WILL see results. I've lost 69 pounds in 3 1/2 months. And it's staying off. Will stalls happen? YES. Do they royally suck and mess with your head? HELL YES. But they are normal, they will happen, and as long as you pay attention to your non scale victories (getting off meds, clothes and rings too big, fitting in a booth better, comfortably fitting in a "regular" stall and not the bigger handicapped one, etc) you'll see progress even when the scale isn't moving. I've been off my blood pressure and diabetes meds for months. It's AMAZING. The pcos will make it harder, and will test you, but you can do this. You're stronger and better than the stupid pcos. Once you believe that, the rest is easier.