Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self Pay Sleeve?

Hi. I’m new here. Finally decided I’m ready to get the sleeve. I don’t want to jump through insurance hoops. I’m 39 bmi and no health issues so it’s very doubtful insurance would even cover it. Regarding self pay where have people gone that have great self pay surgeries? I was ready to schedule in Tijuana with Dr Altamiranos then I came across some info saying to steer clear so I’m back at square one. Any Mexico or Vegas places you have used that are great?

Blossom Bariatrics in Vegas has an all inclusive self pay program. They include your hotel, all pre-op testing, and surgery in their own surgery center. You can check out their website for more info. My surgery with them went very well. I didn’t lose much weight, but that was totally due to me. Others who had surgery at the same time did great and lost lots of weight.

7 hours ago, hayesm777 said:

Hi. I’m new here. Finally decided I’m ready to get the sleeve. I don’t want to jump through insurance hoops. I’m 39 bmi and no health issues so it’s very doubtful insurance would even cover it. Regarding self pay where have people gone that have great self pay surgeries? I was ready to schedule in Tijuana with Dr Altamiranos then I came across some info saying to steer clear so I’m back at square one. Any Mexico or Vegas places you have used that are great?

so if you were a 40 bmi would they cover?

There are pages on this forum just devoted to Mexico. The ones that I read seem over the moon with their choices.

If i were going to go the Mexico route. I would have gone with Dr Guillermo Alvarez at Endohospital Bariatrics. The places is amazing and all they do is sleeves. He is a USA educated doctor. His hospital looks amazing and very very upscale. he post videos on youtube weekly regarding sleeves and his instagram channel is also impressive with constant stories on what he does. I think at his place a sleeve is just under 10 grand. Here is his youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/c/Endobariatric . I am also self pay. Doing it in Florida and costing $18-19K. Insurance wont cover.

10 hours ago, hayesm777 said:

Hi. I’m new here. Finally decided I’m ready to get the sleeve. I don’t want to jump through insurance hoops. I’m 39 bmi and no health issues so it’s very doubtful insurance would even cover it. Regarding self pay where have people gone that have great self pay surgeries? I was ready to schedule in Tijuana with Dr Altamiranos then I came across some info saying to steer clear so I’m back at square one. Any Mexico or Vegas places you have used that are great?

I was in the same boat as you. I've decided to go with Blossom Bariatrics. My surgery is scheduled for 03/24. They do check and see if any portion of their costs can be billed to your insurance. I didn't ask, but I'm guessing the blood work, stress test, etc. My out of pocket cost is $9800. I'm using Care Credit for most of the procedure. I'm also bringing my mother for support. The hotel is included with your quote and I believe the hotel has all the bariatric patients on the same floor. Air fare is not included.

18 minutes ago, Kelly Sweetheart said:

I was in the same boat as you. I've decided to go with Blossom Bariatrics. My surgery is scheduled for 03/24. They do check and see if any portion of their costs can be billed to your insurance. I didn't ask, but I'm guessing the blood work, stress test, etc. My out of pocket cost is $9800. I'm using Care Credit for most of the procedure. I'm also bringing my mother for support. The hotel is included with your quote and I believe the hotel has all the bariatric patients on the same floor. Air fare is not included.

Here in the USA my surgery is not covered at all. But those pre op testing so far are. I just simply take the lab orders and imaging orders to a lab or imaging center that is covered under my plan and get it done there and they fax the results to the doctor. So far so good. I have only had to pay the copays.

I did mine at Hospital Angeles in Tijuana with Dr. Corvalá. I believe I paid $6500 two years ago, which included pick up and drop off in San Diego. One of the best healthcare experiences I have ever had. Labor is cheap there, so they have all sorts of people hovering over you. For instance, they whisked me off for an X-ray after surgery and I was back only 15 minutes later. There was a 2 day stay after surgery. And they provided me with a big bag of toiletries when I arrive instead of nickel and diming me for every aspirin. This was my first surgery ever, so it was nice to feel taken care of.

I'd just especially suggest taking a support person with you to aid with communication, both inside and outside the hospital. The only issue I had was communicating that I was having an allergic reaction to a particular drug to a nurse with limited English (though she just went and got a doctor.) Not a big deal, but nice to have someone to know to rely on because you won't be feeling well right after.

https://www.angeleshealth.com/

https://lopezcorvala.com/

I had VSG in Tijuana, Mx. I did about 200 hours of research before my surgery and based on that research, finances, and other personal considerations, decided to go the Medical Tourism route and have been very happy with that decision.

These hospitals ONLY do bariatric surgeries and are geared towards medical tourists. They run a VERY well oiled machine from intake to discharge. The process was so smooth, I was completely confident going alone. The surgeon I chose is highly accredited, has done thousands of WLS procedures, has relationships and mentorships with some of the most well known US bariatric surgeons for continuing ed, is board certified, etc. He is just as qualified, if not more so, than many of the bariatric surgeons in my area.

The reality is, there are amazing surgeons in the US and just as many in Mexico and other places. Conversely, there are terrible surgeons here and everywhere else. There are pros and cons to each, and every person has different needs. Ultimately it boils down to doing your research, finding a surgeon you trust, and a program that fits your needs.