Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Bypass complete!

I just got home from the hospital. My surgery went smoothly and my surgeon said I am at least risk to have complications so I'm happy with that. I did a lot of walking in the hospital and got fluids down.

The most bothersome part of all this is the pain in my chest and throat. Something is weird and swollen in my throat causing me to sound nasaly but it isn't my noise. My esophagus spasms every now and then and I burp a little bit which is uncom.

I also have a lot of pleghm I can't get out because it hurts to cough and take deep breaths.

How long does the acute pain last? At this point I'm just looking forward to taking a pain pill and drifting off to sleep.

Does sleep help?

Thanks for the support also. It still feels surreal that I did this!

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

What you’re experiencing is pretty common. I carried a sick bag with me for the first couple of days because of all the saliva I was spitting up. I had a lot of swelling in my throat & oesophagus which made swallowing painful too. By day 3 it was basically gone.

Most find by around day 4+/- they don’t need the strong opioid pain meds anymore but we all heal & recover at our own pace. If it takes you less or more time that’s fine.

The burping is likely the gas from the surgery escaping &/or you could be unconsciously swallowing air when you do drink. The gas will pass too - about a week. It can be more painful then the actual surgery healing but GasX, over the counter pain meds & walking helps.

Enjoy your sleep I think I slept for most of the first 48 hours.

Hope you to continue to recover well.

It is amazing what we've gone through, isn't it? You'll likely be all good in a couple of days without need for pain meds and no more spitting up. Remember, they had a tube down your throat and you're healing from a major surgery/trauma.

You'll be tired for the first week, so you'll sleep really well. Enjoy it.

You'll also still be passing excess gas from them inflating your stomach for surgery, so that'll be a couple more days and that might be causing some of the pain.

The mucus in your throat is also because of the breathing tube they put down your throat. I coughed mine up in the hospital - it's safe to do so even if it's painful.