Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2022 Surgery Buddies

8 hours ago, thanks4ether said:

Hi! My surgery is also April 26. Are you already on a liquid diet? I'm starting day 5

Sent from my 2107113SG using BariatricPal mobile app

My liquid diet is only 2 days so I haven’t started 🙃

I do have my Cookies and cream Premier Protein shakes all planned out, though!

Hi all! I had my surgery on Monday 4th April in Manchester, UK.

• The first 2 days were awful (lots of pain, nausea and vomiting)
  • The 3rd and 4th days were better (threw up for the last time, had some lovely hot showers, pain manageable)
  • The 5th and 6th days have been amazing! (out to cafes and shops, no nausea or pain, even drove for an hour)

I am experiencing a brilliant recovery, I think.

BUT... I'm worried - only that I can take in much more liquid than I expected.

I have just eaten a whole can of strained roast chicken Soup with no problem at all. It's far more than the few tablespoons that I hear about other people struggling to get down. I don't feel any restriction or signals that I've had enough.

Is that normal, I wonder?

Just struck me... maybe I should post on the main site, so people with longer experience can answer!

Either way... we are making the best decision by having this surgery. Love and blessings to all of you - if you're anything like me, you won't regret it!

19 hours ago, Mariann812 said:

Kimmy: I am so glad to hear you are doing great!

Thank you, I feel pretty good and love watching the scale right now lol

8 hours ago, Charlie1810 said:

Hi all. I had my sleeve surgery on 4th April.
interested to hear how everyone’s recovery is going?

Doing very well. First day adding Protein Shakes back in my diet. I did end up having a hiatal hernia repair done too. No clue I even had one.

I’m dealing with really bad acid reflux after surgery. I’m 4 days out of surgery and I’m just really struggling with this. Can’t lay down at all. Either standing or sitting straight up. Drank about 3oz of a Protein Drink, 4 oz of Water and a popsicle. Very tired and drained. I really hope this reflux is just part of the healing process because I’m miserable.

8 minutes ago, Kimmy Kaye said:

Doing very well. First day adding Protein Shakes back in my diet. I did end up having a hiatal hernia repair done too. No clue I even had one.

So, you are feeling well? Even with the hernia repair? I’m so happy for you! Keep me posted on how you are doing please. I’m going back and forth between waiting till school is out in June OR taking a surgery date earlier. It’s the hernia repair that is making me waver. Keep up the good work! ❤️

3 hours ago, bestdecisionmade said:

Hi all! I had my surgery on Monday 4th April in Manchester, UK.

• The first 2 days were awful (lots of pain, nausea and vomiting)
  • The 3rd and 4th days were better (threw up for the last time, had some lovely hot showers, pain manageable)
  • The 5th and 6th days have been amazing! (out to cafes and shops, no nausea or pain, even drove for an hour)

I am experiencing a brilliant recovery, I think.

BUT... I'm worried - only that I can take in much more liquid than I expected.

I have just eaten a whole can of strained roast chicken Soup with no problem at all. It's far more than the few tablespoons that I hear about other people struggling to get down. I don't feel any restriction or signals that I've had enough.

Is that normal, I wonder?

Just struck me... maybe I should post on the main site, so people with longer experience can answer!

Either way... we are making the best decision by having this surgery. Love and blessings to all of you - if you're anything like me, you won't regret it!

Hello! So happy you are doing well. I had my SECOND gastric by pass on Tue. Please allow me to be a cautionary tale for you….. My first surgery was 23 yr ago. I had to travel to have it done and did not have much in the way of follow up. I lost over 150pounds. Then started to regain about 10 pounds a yr. I did not follow the guidelines after the first few years. I ate a cpl bites more, I had cocktails, stopped exercising, drank sparkling Water. I struggled so much trying to diet and reverse the cycle. I am a registered nurse and I was unable to take some jobs because they became to physically demanding.

I beg you to follow the guidelines of your doctor. Today and forever! You have completely modified your body. If it is not on your list do not let us pass your lips. The quantity and quality of foods today ensure your health and success tmw. Just because you Can eat or drink beyond the recommendation does not mean you Should. I recently read a good book available on Amazon ‘ Bariatric Success’. Be mindful of this incredible tool you worked so hard for. Make the lifestyle changes and enjoy the gift!

Tina 2.0 🤗

1 hour ago, Mariann812 said:

So, you are feeling well? Even with the hernia repair? I’m so happy for you! Keep me posted on how you are doing please. I’m going back and forth between waiting till school is out in June OR taking a surgery date earlier. It’s the hernia repair that is making me waver. Keep up the good work! ❤️

Hi, I had a revision of a Roun Y on Tue with a hernia repair. The hernia has not slowed my healing a bit. Surgery was Tuesday with an overnight stay. I’m doing light chores, driving and shopping today. My doc keeps us on a liquid diet for 2 weeks and Protein Drinks. I tried broth, it was ok. But just paid a bit more for Bone Broth… wow! A new favorite! Flavors are wonderful and still on plan.

There is never really a great time to take off work for surgery. But you will know the best time for yourself and your family.

8 minutes ago, Tina 2.0 said:

Hello! So happy you are doing well. I had my SECOND gastric by pass on Tue. Please allow me to be a cautionary tale for you….. My first surgery was 23 yr ago. I had to travel to have it done and did not have much in the way of follow up. I lost over 150pounds. Then started to regain about 10 pounds a yr. I did not follow the guidelines after the first few years. I ate a cpl bites more, I had cocktails, stopped exercising, drank sparkling Water. I struggled so much trying to diet and reverse the cycle. I am a registered nurse and I was unable to take some jobs because they became to physically demanding.

I beg you to follow the guidelines of your doctor. Today and forever! You have completely modified your body. If it is not on your list do not let us pass your lips. The quantity and quality of foods today ensure your health and success tmw. Just because you Can eat or drink beyond the recommendation does not mean you Should. I recently read a good book available on Amazon ‘ Bariatric Success’. Be mindful of this incredible tool you worked so hard for. Make the lifestyle changes and enjoy the gift!

Tina 2.0 🤗

I’m going to Amazon right now. Thanks for the info. Very helpful post.

1 hour ago, JessM87 said:

I’m dealing with really bad acid reflux after surgery. I’m 4 days out of surgery and I’m just really struggling with this. Can’t lay down at all. Either standing or sitting straight up. Drank about 3oz of a Protein Drink, 4 oz of Water and a popsicle. Very tired and drained. I really hope this reflux is just part of the healing process because I’m miserable.

Did your doctor give you anything for acid control? Pls let the doc know tmw. In the meantime you might try small sips of Water 2-3 oz an hour. It is very small sips but they add up. If it is possible cold pressed coconut water. No pulp no flavor, that might sooth a bit. Go slow, carry on, communicate with your doc.

Be Well

5 minutes ago, Tina 2.0 said:

Hi, I had a revision of a Roun Y on Tue with a hernia repair. The hernia has not slowed my healing a bit. Surgery was Tuesday with an overnight stay. I’m doing light chores, driving and shopping today. My doc keeps us on a liquid diet for 2 weeks and Protein Drinks. I tried broth, it was ok. But just paid a bit more for Bone Broth… wow! A new favorite! Flavors are wonderful and still on plan.

There is never really a great time to take off work for surgery. But you will know the best time for yourself and your family.

Thank you for posting this. My surgeon has told me that having had 4 c-sections (the 4th a set of twins), THIS will be a ‘walk in the park.’

i completely agree with you: there are things that there are never a right time to do…getting married, having kids, buying a car, surgery, etc.

thank you again!

Just now, Tina 2.0 said:

Did your doctor give you anything for acid control? Pls let the doc know tmw. In the meantime you might try small sips of Water 2-3 oz an hour. It is very small sips but they add up. If it is possible cold pressed coconut Water. No pulp no flavor, that might sooth a bit. Go slow, carry on, communicate with your doc.

Be Well

They gave me 40mg of panteprozole and I messaged my doctor and let him know the troubles I’m having, hopefully they can put me on a different medicine and up the dose to help with the reflux. I have been able to get down 4 more oz of water so that makes me happy!

4 minutes ago, Mariann812 said:

5 minutes ago, Mariann812 said:

Hi Marianne, this is such good at advice that you've shared with us thank you so much🙏 I'm so glad I joined this forum as it's given me so much more real information of the do's and don't that we should be mindful of not to fall into irreversible mistakes I will be looking for that book on Amazon every information is valuable for us to making this journey successful and have a healthier life❤️😊

2 minutes ago, JessM87 said:

They gave me 40mg of panteprozole and I messaged my doctor and let him know the troubles I’m having, hopefully they can put me on a different medicine and up the dose to help with the reflux. I have been able to get down 4 more oz of Water so that makes me happy!

So glad you are on something! Hopefully sipping slowly will help. My plan says 4 oz an hour. I am sticking to it with refreshing baby sips. Keep us posted on what works for you. I’m sure it will help another.

20 minutes ago, Tina 2.0 said:

Tina 2.0:

is this the book?

B6A6AF21-CC28-4AC3-8804-6FE6DF49DE38.png