Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2022 Surgery Buddies

1 hour ago, Charlie1810 said:

Hi all. I had my sleeve surgery on 4th April.
interested to hear how everyone’s recovery is going?

Hi Charlie!

Hope all goes well for you in your weight loss journey 👍🙏I'm interested to know what happens the day after surgery how do you feel what are you supposed to be doing are you meant to be walking around the day after because I heard some people found it very beneficial to walk to release the gases in the stomach the day after, but wouldn't that be painful with the stitches so fresh?

Surgery was April 4th, 2022!!!

I’m in the UK and noticed the rules really vary. Due to covid restrictions I wasn’t really encouraged to get up and walk around - they were really keen for patients to stay in their own rooms.

I didn’t have any pain from the surgical sites, but the trapped gas was something else! I couldn’t lie down and ended up sleeping in a chair upright. I’ve bought one of those triangular cushions since I’ve been home and it’s been a godsend on a nighttime.

I was only on clear fluids for 2 days and was encouraged to drink from the moment I woke up from surgery. I had IV fluids and if anything I was over hydrated - I couldn’t stop peeing!

I’ve not had any issues with pain from the sites at all and I’ve not taken painkillers at all. I’m just really tired still and can’t really face going for long walks yet!

2 hours ago, Charlie1810 said:

Hi all. I had my sleeve surgery on 4th April.
interested to hear how everyone’s recovery is going?

Hello. I had my sleeve surgery on the 4th as well. Every day is a little better, but it is not easy. I’ve been struggling with getting enough fluids and Protein in. I’ve been really bloated so can only have a few sips at a time. Also I’m feeling really weak, but every day I feel a little stronger and every day I can take in a little bit more. Never thought it would be possible to get by on 200-300 calories a day, wow, but that’s all my body wants right now. How are you doing?

31 minutes ago, Charlie1810 said:

I’m in the UK and noticed the rules really vary. Due to covid restrictions I wasn’t really encouraged to get up and walk around - they were really keen for patients to stay in their own rooms.

I didn’t have any pain from the surgical sites, but the trapped gas was something else! I couldn’t lie down and ended up sleeping in a chair upright. I’ve bought one of those triangular cushions since I’ve been home and it’s been a godsend on a nighttime.

I was only on clear fluids for 2 days and was encouraged to drink from the moment I woke up from surgery. I had IV fluids and if anything I was over hydrated - I couldn’t stop peeing!

I’ve not had any issues with pain from the sites at all and I’ve not taken painkillers at all. I’m just really tired still and can’t really face going for long walks yet!

Oh wow! 200 300 calories that's quite a difference from what we normally had, naturally the body goes into shock and low on energy! but hopefully we will all succeed in our Target, I'm sure in the long-run everything will be a lot easier and it will be worth it all 🙏🤞👍

19 minutes ago, Donna Suz said:

Hello. I had my sleeve surgery on the 4th as well. Every day is a little better, but it is not easy. I’ve been struggling with getting enough fluids and Protein in. I’ve been really bloated so can only have a few sips at a time. Also I’m feeling really weak, but every day I feel a little stronger and every day I can take in a little bit more. Never thought it would be possible to get by on 200-300 calories a day, wow, but that’s all my body wants right now. How are you doing?

Hi Donna.
Congratulations on your surgery.

Sounds like we’re experiencing really similar things with the struggle for fluids and Protein. I’m hoping it will get easier and just doing what I can for now.

it’s really weird as I had such a sweet tooth before the surgery but now I’m after savoury.

how are you doing with your Vitamins. Mine are vile - not sure I’ll be able to stomach them long term.

8 minutes ago, Charlie1810 said:

Hi Donna.
Congratulations on your surgery.

Sounds like we’re experiencing really similar things with the struggle for fluids and Protein. I’m hoping it will get easier and just doing what I can for now.

it’s really weird as I had such a sweet tooth before the surgery but now I’m after savoury.

how are you doing with your Vitamins. Mine are vile - not sure I’ll be able to stomach them long term.

Hi Charlie. Thank you, congratulations on yours as well. Yes, it is very strange for me to struggle eating (drinking) enough, since my struggles have always been the opposite, to try to eat less! I’ve been watching lots of YouTube videos to be reassured that this is normal and that eventually it will get easier. I haven’t started my Vitamins yet. I’ve been instructed to wait until the 18th which will be a few days before I start the puréed stage. That could be a reason why I’m feeling so week, so I’m actually looking forward to starting them. I’ve been sipping on a Protein Shake all morning, but am getting antsy and am wanting to get out in the sun and do some walking. I think that’s probably a good sign. How have you been with getting your walking in?

On 2/22/2022 at 12:05 AM, PurpleAngel73 said:

I'll be praying for you that you get yours done in April. Where are you from and what surgery are you getting done for your weight loss? Congrats on getting this far pre-op!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

My date is April 29.. Really excited and nervous as well..lol. I've been buying stuff for weight loss journey for last 2 months a little at a time and in different brands to see which I.like better. I'm also diabetic so I really have to watch myself. ESPECIALLY when first come home. I'm in great hopes I can stay with the program and loose the weight. I need too. I'm here for anyone that needs to share. God Bless.

2 minutes ago, Sbrown41 said:

I did mines April 6 too…. How are y’all feeling ?

Congratulations.

feeling better each day apart from the trapped gas when I’m ‘eating’

I’m taking full advantage of my husband being off work for the week and not lifting a finger.

Hi everyone, I am writing with my postop update. Maybe it will help someone waiting for surgery or in the immediate postop phases. On 4/5/22 I had a lap band to gastric bypass conversion. My procedure was complicated by the fact that I had a hiatal hernia and then the surgeon discovered an umbilical hernia (previously undiagnosed and not seen during preadmission studies) which he also needed to repair. The complexity of the surgery led to a two-night admission. I was on a constant IV drip and had to use the bathroom approximately every hour - the entire time! It really hurt to prop myself up to get out of bed and I would work on developing those muscles preop if I could turn back time. I hardly ate any food (broth and sugar free Jello) in the hospital, and I am still struggling now because I am just not hungry. I walked three times during the two days in the hospital - not ideal but it was the best I could do at the time. My pulse ox dipped to the low 80s several times (my normal is 99-100), so I was using supplemental oxygen to help. My abdomen was incredibly bloated and bruised. It is now going down slightly which I credit to walking and Colace. I cannot stress how helpful I think Colace has been for me. I have to wear a binder around my abdomen, and I do not yet know for how long. It is helpful when I cough and do my breathing exercises. I am now super deconditioned, which really surprised me. I know some members of this forum have been able to bounce back fairly quickly, but everyone should consider the possibility that they might need more time. I still get winded every time I move (i.e., bed to chair, chair to standing, etc.). I need naps and I have never been a napper. I am definitely going to have to take at least an extra week off from work. I try to walk a little a few times a day now and it is very tiring, so I use a cane just for reassurance. All in all, I am so happy with my decision to have surgery!

I am extremely grateful to read everyone's stories and see questions and answers on this board and I hope April 2022 Surgery Buddies (and whoever else wants to participate) can move to the postop board next month so we can continue to share our progress. I wish everyone who is still waiting for their April 2022 surgery the best! I will be happy to answer any questions that anyone has. I hope we all keep in touch! Thanks!

1 hour ago, Charlie1810 said:

Congratulations.

feeling better each day apart from the trapped gas when I’m ‘eating’

I’m taking full advantage of my husband being off work for the week and not lifting a finger.

I’m happy you are getting help.. my husband is here too.. so I haven’t done anything.

It’s the gas for me and I feel like I new different style of waters to drink every day…

I’m happy you are getting help.. my husband is here too.. so I haven’t done anything.

It’s the gas for me and I feel like I new different style of waters to drink every day…

10 minutes ago, 321 Lift Off said:

Hi everyone, I am writing with my postop update. Maybe it will help someone waiting for surgery or in the immediate postop phases. On 4/5/22 I had a lap band to gastric bypass conversion. My procedure was complicated by the fact that I had a hiatal hernia and then the surgeon discovered an umbilical hernia (previously undiagnosed and not seen during preadmission studies) which he also needed to repair. The complexity of the surgery led to a two-night admission. I was on a constant IV drip and had to use the bathroom approximately every hour - the entire time! It really hurt to prop myself up to get out of bed and I would work on developing those muscles preop if I could turn back time. I hardly ate any food (broth and sugar free Jello) in the hospital, and I am still struggling now because I am just not hungry. I walked three times during the two days in the hospital - not ideal but it was the best I could do at the time. My pulse ox dipped to the low 80s several times (my normal is 99-100), so I was using supplemental oxygen to help. My abdomen was incredibly bloated and bruised. It is now going down slightly which I credit to walking and Colace. I cannot stress how helpful I think Colace has been for me. I have to wear a binder around my abdomen, and I do not yet know for how long. It is helpful when I cough and do my breathing exercises. I am now super deconditioned, which really surprised me. I know some members of this forum have been able to bounce back fairly quickly, but everyone should consider the possibility that they might need more time. I still get winded every time I move (i.e., bed to chair, chair to standing, etc.). I need naps and I have never been a napper. I am definitely going to have to take at least an extra week off from work. I try to walk a little a few times a day now and it is very tiring, so I use a cane just for reassurance. All in all, I am so happy with my decision to have surgery!

I am extremely grateful to read everyone's stories and see questions and answers on this board and I hope April 2022 Surgery Buddies (and whoever else wants to participate) can move to the postop board next month so we can continue to share our progress. I wish everyone who is still waiting for their April 2022 surgery the best! I will be happy to answer any questions that anyone has. I hope we all keep in touch! Thanks!

10 minutes ago, 321 Lift Off said: