Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2022 Surgery Buddies

2 hours ago, Love&Light said:

Hello Everyone,

I had my VSG on the 22nd of April. I am in stage 3 of the diet. I am 23 days post op. I didn't have a pre-op diet. I am not able to eat much. No where near what I was told to eat. With the 30/30, the protien shakes and Water requiments I am struggling to eat. Anyone else experiencing this? How are you getting through it?

Hi- I was sleeves 4/19 and I don’t have issues eating or drinking. Do you have restrictions when trying to eat or drink most things? Getting full too quickly or sick? What happens when you have a Protein Shake?

Hi- I was sleeves 4/19 and I don’t have issues eating or drinking. Do you have restrictions when trying to eat or drink most things? Getting full too quickly or sick? What happens when you have a Protein Shake?
I can drink no problems but I have to pace myself. With food I am full after 2 to 3 bites. I chew thoroughly as instructed. I had one egg this morning and couldn't finish it. It was a standard 60 gram egg about 2 ounces. I take about 30 minutes to eat following the: small teaspoon / chew thoroughly / wait 30 seconds and repeat / I stop as soon as I burp or hiccup. It could be restriction. Thank you [emoji120] [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G986B using BariatricPal mobile app

4 minutes ago, Love&Light said:

I can drink no problems but I have to pace myself. With food I am full after 2 to 3 bites. I chew thoroughly as instructed. I had one egg this morning and couldn't finish it. It was a standard 60 gram egg about 2 ounces. I take about 30 minutes to eat following the: small teaspoon / chew thoroughly / wait 30 seconds and repeat / I stop as soon as I burp or hiccup. It could be restriction. Thank you

Sounds like restriction, and your stomach could still be a little swollen. What if you try eating small amounts but more often? I find that if I eat a small amount I get hungry again in a few hours. Maybe that will help you get in all your Protein and calories? How do you do with your Vitamins? Can you get them down?

11 hours ago, Love&Light said:

Hello Everyone,

I had my VSG on the 22nd of April. I am in stage 3 of the diet. I am 23 days post op. I didn't have a pre-op diet. I am not able to eat much. No where near what I was told to eat. With the 30/30, the protien shakes and Water requiments I am struggling to eat. Anyone else experiencing this? How are you getting through it?

I experienced this as well. Instead of trying to force it, eat the few bites you can, wait 20-30 minutes and start drinking tiny sips of Protein to help push it down a little. Eventually you will be able to handle more. I am now 32 days post op and in the 3-4 days I've noticed a better capacity to tolerate foods and am now eating minestrone Soup, 3 oz at a time, 2-3 times a day between my Water and 2 Protein Shakes.

When I emailed the bariatric team, they told me it may have been due to swelling on the inside the finally went down and that many patients by a month out can handle 4oz (and some 4-6oz) at a time, but everyone is different and has different tolerances.

Wow what a week! I had RYN on 4/14”2. I have never stop having left side pain since surgery. I was taking 4,000 mg of Tylenol a day to survive. I was getting my Protein and Water in most days. I had went back to liquids on Wednesday 5/4/22, as puree just didn’t set well. I was running a fever at times. Reached out to my surgeon on Friday 5/6 nurse called me back and said as soon as she hears from him I’ll call you back and never got any call back. Sunday 5/8 morning while driving home I had this extreme pain and almost wrecked my car. I decided enough, I can’t take it anymore and went to the ER. I had accumulated Fluid on my abdomen and a UTI. They did two CT scans I wasn’t leaking from my bowel. Took several bags of fluid. IV antibiotics and lots of pain meds. Waiting for radiology To place a drain I felt like death. I hurt so bad. Monday 5/9 My surgeon came and said is everything would be ok. I’m not leaking at any surgical site. We will get the fluid off and you will be just fine. I asked him about the 103 fever he did seem concerned but we have double antibiotics and your blood cultures are negative. Monday Tuesday and Wednesday and Got Calcium and potassium blouses. I got Iron twice to not need a blood transfusion. The edema redness and pain was now from by belly button to almost my spine from my hip up to to mid rib cage. They placed a drain on Tuesday,To date it’s at 500 ml drained out mostly pus. A lot of prayer and medical interventions got me where I wanted to be.. home!!! Back to liquid diet ,a drain and antibiotics. I think I’m headed in the right direction. I at least feel human again and very minimal pain today.
That’s the long story
Short story is the drain site was infected which is a risk of surgery especially on the bowel.

LISTEN TO YOUR BODY PEEPS!!!
As a NP I over and under analyze everything to the point my doctor told me “Stacey I am the doctor and you’re the patient can you at least try to be a patient?” I just laughed because I honestly needed to hear that!

46 minutes ago, Staceyj76 said:

Wow what a week! I had RYN on 4/14”2. I have never stop having left side pain since surgery. I was taking 4,000 mg of Tylenol a day to survive. I was getting my Protein and Water in most days. I had went back to liquids on Wednesday 5/4/22, as puree just didn’t set well. I was running a fever at times. Reached out to my surgeon on Friday 5/6 nurse called me back and said as soon as she hears from him I’ll call you back and never got any call back. Sunday 5/8 morning while driving home I had this extreme pain and almost wrecked my car. I decided enough, I can’t take it anymore and went to the ER. I had accumulated Fluid on my abdomen and a UTI. They did two CT scans I wasn’t leaking from my bowel. Took several bags of Fluid. IV antibiotics and lots of pain meds. Waiting for radiology To place a drain I felt like death. I hurt so bad. Monday 5/9 My surgeon came and said is everything would be ok. I’m not leaking at any surgical site. We will get the fluid off and you will be just fine. I asked him about the 103 fever he did seem concerned but we have double antibiotics and your blood cultures are negative. Monday Tuesday and Wednesday and Got Calcium and potassium blouses. I got Iron twice to not need a blood transfusion. The edema redness and pain was now from by belly button to almost my spine from my hip up to to mid rib cage. They placed a drain on Tuesday,To date it’s at 500 ml drained out mostly pus. A lot of prayer and medical interventions got me where I wanted to be.. home!!! Back to liquid diet ,a drain and antibiotics. I think I’m headed in the right direction. I at least feel human again and very minimal pain today.
That’s the long story
Short story is the drain site was infected which is a risk of surgery especially on the bowel.

As a NP I over and under analyze everything to the point my doctor told me “Stacey I am the doctor and you’re the patient can you at least try to be a patient?” I just laughed because I honestly needed to hear that!

Woww Stacey 🙁 So sad to hear your ordeal about the infection. Hope your feeling better now. I've arrived at the hospital having an RNY + hernia repair today. Just reading all that you've been through my nerves are getting tenser hope all goes well 🙏🙁

And all the best to you sending hugs and positive vibes your way ♥️🙏

Edited by Merill

On 05/15/2022 at 20:44, Merill said:

Woww Stacey 🙁 So sad to hear your ordeal about the infection. Hope your feeling better now. I've arrived at the hospital having an RNY + hernia repair today. Just reading all that you've been through my nerves are getting tenser hope all goes well 🙏🙁

And all the best to you sending hugs and positive vibes your way ♥️🙏

Merill: breathe!
Calm yourself. None of that is going to happen to you. Unfortunately it happened to Stacey, but it isn’t going to happen to you.
Positive thoughts about a fabulous outcome! You got this! ❤️

Wow what a week! I had RYN on 4/14”2. I have never stop having left side pain since surgery. I was taking 4,000 mg of Tylenol a day to survive. I was getting my Protein and Water in most days. I had went back to liquids on Wednesday 5/4/22, as puree just didn’t set well. I was running a fever at times. Reached out to my surgeon on Friday 5/6 nurse called me back and said as soon as she hears from him I’ll call you back and never got any call back. Sunday 5/8 morning while driving home I had this extreme pain and almost wrecked my car. I decided enough, I can’t take it anymore and went to the ER. I had accumulated Fluid on my abdomen and a UTI. They did two CT scans I wasn’t leaking from my bowel. Took several bags of fluid. IV antibiotics and lots of pain meds. Waiting for radiology To place a drain I felt like death. I hurt so bad. Monday 5/9 My surgeon came and said is everything would be ok. I’m not leaking at any surgical site. We will get the fluid off and you will be just fine. I asked him about the 103 fever he did seem concerned but we have double antibiotics and your blood cultures are negative. Monday Tuesday and Wednesday and Got Calcium and potassium blouses. I got Iron twice to not need a blood transfusion. The edema redness and pain was now from by belly button to almost my spine from my hip up to to mid rib cage. They placed a drain on Tuesday,To date it’s at 500 ml drained out mostly pus. A lot of prayer and medical interventions got me where I wanted to be.. home!!! Back to liquid diet ,a drain and antibiotics. I think I’m headed in the right direction. I at least feel human again and very minimal pain today.
That’s the long story

Thank you for sharing, sending you love and light 🤍[emoji1430]

10 hours ago, Mariann812 said:

Merill: breathe!
Calm yourself. None of that is going to happen to you. Unfortunately it happened to Stacey, but it isn’t going to happen to you.
Positive thoughts about a fabulous outcome! You got this! ❤️

32 minutes ago, Love&Light said:

Thank you for sharing, sending you love and light 🤍

Sorry to hear about all you went thru. I had a lot of ordeals as well. April 29 was my sleeve surgery. I to have pain in my left side. I had to have blood transfusion. I'm not able to drink very much of the shakes they make me sick. Anyone have any ideas?

Sorry to hear about all you went thru. I had a lot of ordeals as well. April 29 was my sleeve surgery. I to have pain in my left side. I had to have blood transfusion. I'm not able to drink very much of the shakes they make me sick. Anyone have any ideas?
So sorry to hear that, I hope you feel better. As for the shakes I Water them down a little. I manage to have them that way. Sending you love and light.

Hello,

I am now 8 weeks out from my gastric bypass surgery. I am 53lbs down and am finally getting some energy back. I did have a lot of set backs following my surgery and spent 2 weeks in the hospital most of which was in ICU. I am able to eat regular foods now but still don’t have much of an appetite. I don’t tolerate meats very well and I crave fresh fruits and vegetables which are sometimes hard to tolerate as well. I find I only like ice Water and herbal tea. I can no longer drink coffee and I used to drink coffee all day everyday. I no longer crave sweets either. I’m amazed at how much my tastes have changed. Has anyone else experienced changes like these?

Staceyj76:
I am so sorry to hear that your experience has been like that. Sending you best wishes for full and boring from here on. ❤️

1 minute ago, Staceyj76 said:

Someone help me, how do you respond to someone’s post? I apparently can’t figure it out!

Just click on quote and it will quote what they said like I just did and then type your reply.