Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2022 Surgery Buddies

I am having surgery on Wednesday April 6th. I just started my 7 day pre op liquid diet and I am already miserable at the end of day 1. All I can think about is a crunch wrap supreme. I think 7 days is a little excessive but that's probably just my food addiction talking.

On 3/28/2022 at 7:16 AM, Richard. C said:

They haven't given me a time yet, i wont find out until the 5th what time i am due at the hospital, i am hoping early morning.

I am having surgery the 6th as well and I am due in at 8:30 am, surgery at 10:30 am.

27 minutes ago, JessM87 said:

I am having surgery on Wednesday April 6th. I just started my 7 day pre op liquid diet and I am already miserable at the end of day 1. All I can think about is a crunch wrap supreme. I think 7 days is a little excessive but that's probably just my food addiction talking.

Congratulations on the surgery date! The liquid diet should get easier. Carbohydrates make you want more carbohydrates so being carb limited should become easier.

good luck.

1 minute ago, Mariann812 said:

Congratulations on the surgery date! The liquid diet should get easier. Carbohydrates make you want more carbohydrates so being carb limited should become easier.

good luck.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I am struggling but I know it will be worth it in the end.

8 hours ago, JessM87 said:

Be grateful it’s only 7 days I would love that! Everyone in our practice has to do the same 2 week liquid diet regardless of starting weight. Good luck you are almost there!!

Anyone else cranky on the pre op diet? I’m SO hungry and tired, I cheated (a bit) and had an omelette with veg, that helped. I don’t mind the taste of the shakes etc but it doesn’t feel enough to keep me going through the day.

19 minutes ago, Kia kaha said:

Anyone else cranky on the pre op diet? I’m SO hungry and tired, I cheated (a bit) and had an omelette with veg, that helped. I don’t mind the taste of the shakes etc but it doesn’t feel enough to keep me going through the day.

I’m cranky just thinking about it I start the diet next week. I really don’t know what else to say besides just keep your eye on the prize! And I think feeling cranky is quite normal

34 minutes ago, Goldengirl321 said:

I’m cranky just thinking about it I start the diet next week. I really don’t know what else to say besides just keep your eye on the prize! And I think feeling cranky is quite normal

Cranky is completely normal...so is wanting to eat your arm for the first 3-4 days. 😲 It's the sugar withdrawal, the lack of carbs, and it sucks. 😂🤣😂😆Try not to think about it. 🤣😂🤣😂➡️➡️➡️➡️➡️➡️➡️➡️↩️

➡️➡️➡️➡️➡️➡️➡️➡️➡️➡️➡️WORST ADVICE EVER!!!!!⬅️⬅️⬅️⬅️⬅️⬅️⬅️⬅️⬅️⬅️⬅️⬅️

It's a kind of 'take it an hour at a time or even 15 minutes at a time. The negative crap will pass - soon as the withdrawal is finished. You can do this! (THAT'S pretty worthless, too....I know!)

1 hour ago, Goldengirl321 said:

I'm on day 11 of my 2 week liquid diet. The first week was the absolute worst. After the second week or so, it started to get easier. I think my body started to get accustomed to having less calories. The trick for me has been to have something to eat (drink) regularly throughout the day, like every hour or two. When it gets really hard I've been relying on the sugar free ice pops. They give me a little bit of sweet and I really enjoy them. In the evenings I've been making broth out of half a cube of bullion (only half since there is so much salt in those) A huge helper has been the Gatorade Zero. That is enjoyable and does a good job of making me feel full. I haven't cheated because I don't want to ruin the progress I've made so far. It would probably be like starting all over. I've lost 12 pounds since I started so far and I still have another 3-4 days. My surgery is on Monday. Almost there now. You can do it, stay strong and when you are feeling hungry, don't ignore it. Have the next item you are allowed for the day.

4 minutes ago, Donna Suz said:

I'm on day 11 of my 2 week liquid diet. The first week was the absolute worst. After the second week or so, it started to get easier. I think my body started to get accustomed to having less calories. The trick for me has been to have something to eat (drink) regularly throughout the day, like every hour or two. When it gets really hard I've been relying on the sugar free ice pops. They give me a little bit of sweet and I really enjoy them. In the evenings I've been making broth out of half a cube of bullion (only half since there is so much salt in those) A huge helper has been the Gatorade Zero. That is enjoyable and does a good job of making me feel full. I haven't cheated because I don't want to ruin the progress I've made so far. It would probably be like starting all over. I've lost 12 pounds since I started so far and I still have another 3-4 days. My surgery is on Monday. Almost there now. You can do it, stay strong and when you are feeling hungry, don't ignore it. Have the next item you are allowed for the day.

Wow! Excellent job! Kudos to you! I bought the Gatorade zero w Protein. I think they have 10gms each so I will definitely drink a lot of those when it’s my time next week. What I’m really nervous about it I will still have to shop and cook for my kids so that will be rough. I sat them down and explained my diet and I may be cranky, etc and they understand but cooking meals when I can’t eat will be a challenge.

10 minutes ago, Goldengirl321 said:

Wow! Excellent job! Kudos to you! I bought the Gatorade zero w Protein. I think they have 10gms each so I will definitely drink a lot of those when it’s my time next week. What I’m really nervous about it I will still have to shop and cook for my kids so that will be rough. I sat them down and explained my diet and I may be cranky, etc and they understand but cooking meals when I can’t eat will be a challenge.

I wish you the best. You will really need to be strong, but I know you can do it. I live alone so its easy for me to just have in the house only what I need. Its good that you communicated with them what's going on so they can help support you. Just make sure you have plenty on hand of what you can have so you aren't dipping into their food while you prepare it. Best of luck, you can do it!

3 minutes ago, Donna Suz said:

I wish you the best. You will really need to be strong, but I know you can do it. I live alone so its easy for me to just have in the house only what I need. Its good that you communicated with them what's going on so they can help support you. Just make sure you have plenty on hand of what you can have so you aren't dipping into their food while you prepare it. Best of luck, you can do it!

Thank you for the encouragement! I def am getting myself prepped in advance. I feel like I have a lot of sweet things like the shakes, ice pops, Jello etc and I’m more of a savory person so I’m gonna try and get a bunch of broths to mix it up

31 minutes ago, Donna Suz said:

This is good advice.

I now that many people will advise that the best thing to do is to stay out of the kitchen when you can, and I agree with that. I have stopped sitting at the kitchen table if i can sit elsewhere. I currently leave the table as soon as I am finished with whatever meal it is. My husband and the kids understand why I MUST do this. My kids are old enough to have researched and read up on bariatric surgery, and they found that extremely helpful. My husband has been doing the cooking for the past year as he works from home, and I am in school all day. Besides, he LOVES to cook dinner every night.

Try to have your meal plans organized in your head.

For your kids, have you thought about cooking their meals in batches ahead of time and and freezing them? I did that prior to dh taking over the cooking. I would spend one Saturday a month, I had disposable foil pans, aluminum foil, a sharpie, and maybe 4 or 5 favorite recipes that I knew would freeze well: sheet pan chicken, lasagne, chicken in barbecue sauce or whatever, ground beef, sauce and pasta....I would spend a day cooking, wrapping, marking what each one was, baking instructions, and freezing. You can search online for things you know your kids will eat.

It kept me out of the kitchen when I was my most vulnerable: that part of the day when I am tired, hungry and was feeling the pressure to put a meal on the table.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Mariann812
error in spelling

Thanks for the thoughtful response. Yes I think the meal prepping in advance is a good idea. I spoke to them and they said they will not be picky with meals and I know they will be understanding. I agree that the less time in the kitchen the better!

14 hours ago, JessM87 said:

I hear you loud and clear. Its the shakes that touch my rage center, if I could just do Soups I wouldn't be such a grump.