Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2022 Surgery Buddies

Golden girl since we are scheduled the same day, I have questions. My preop mtg with dietary snd surgeon is scheduled the first week in April. I finished all my required visits in Oct last year but have been waiting for surgery due to Covid. I am nervous because I haven’t really lost much weight since then. I know I will need to go strict diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery but anyone else who has not lost a lot of weight preop in their own??? I feel like I should’ve done better.

21 minutes ago, Nurse2u said:

Golden girl since we are scheduled the same day, I have questions. My preop mtg with dietary snd surgeon is scheduled the first week in April. I finished all my required visits in Oct last year but have been waiting for surgery due to Covid. I am nervous because I haven’t really lost much weight since then. I know I will need to go strict diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery but anyone else who has not lost a lot of weight preop in their own??? I feel like I should’ve done better.

Hey there! I am just at a 40 bmi with no co morbidities so my dr actually told me to maintain my weight until surgery. Although I do still have to do the 2 week diet prior and I’m sure I will he said at that point the weight won’t matter. My journey was a little different I did all my pre op testing cardio, pulmonary, nutrition, psych, sleep study and my 12 office visits (per my insurance, Aetna) then I was approved at the end of January. I asked to be scheduled mid April due to some work things I had going on. I now have to do more testing at the hospital on 4/15 an EKG, chest X-ray, Covid test and blood work, I’ll see my primary Mon 4/18 for final clearance and then hospital 4/19. But back to your original question don’t worry too much you will loose in the 2 weeks and be a rockstar!

I agree with @Goldengirl321... I also needed to maintain my BMI prior to the 2 week pre op diet as it was exactly 40. Afraid if I lost weight I would be denied insurance coverage. I lost just over 12 lbs in my pre op diet. You WILL lose weight during it!

3 minutes ago, Flab-U-Less Forever said:

I agree with @Goldengirl321... I also needed to maintain my BMI prior to the 2 week pre op diet as it was exactly 40. Afraid if I lost weight I would be denied insurance coverage. I lost just over 12 lbs in my pre op diet. You WILL lose weight during it!

28 minutes ago, Goldengirl321 said:

Hey there! I am just at a 40 bmi with no co morbidities so my dr actually told me to maintain my weight until surgery. Although I do still have to do the 2 week diet prior and I’m sure I will he said at that point the weight won’t matter. My journey was a little different I did all my pre op testing cardio, pulmonary, nutrition, psych, sleep study and my 12 office visits (per my insurance, Aetna) then I was approved at the end of January. I asked to be scheduled mid April due to some work things I had going on. I now have to do more testing at the hospital on 4/15 an EKG, chest X-ray, Covid test and blood work, I’ll see my primary Mon 4/18 for final clearance and then hospital 4/19. But back to your original question don’t worry too much you will loose in the 2 weeks and be a rockstar!

3 minutes ago, Flab-U-Less Forever said:

This was going to be the topic of my next question. I intended to quote 3 posts but I may have double-quoted one of them by mistake. anyway, my question has to do with the marker BMI and losing weight. I hover between 39.1 and 40 BMI. CIGNA is a stickler about BMI with 35 being a cut off for benefits. I know that I will lose weight when I start the liver reduction diet next week. A good friend who was sleeved in October told me emphatically 'Do not lose any weight.'

After the insurance company gives their blessing, is it okay then for me to stop worrying about losing weight. (Such an odd concept)

9 minutes ago, Flab-U-Less Forever said:

THIS ⬆️

Exactly my concern. Should I wait and not do the pre-op diet till insurance approves? I am trying to do the surgery April 11 or pretty much any day that week as it is spring break and i do not want to take time off from school. My surgeon and his admin know this.

1 hour ago, Kimmy Kaye said:

My hubby had to have a stress test before his surgery due to his age they said, he was 61. He had hip replacement surgery. They did a chemical stress test, no treadmill. I am sure they will do the same for you. Just ask.

Sent from my Lenovo YT-X705F using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you --- this is extremely helpful. I am 67 so that explains the stress test. My dh is 56 and is having hernia surgery in 2 weeks and no stress test for him.

I know that the cardiologist told me if I can't complete the regular treadmill stress test, he will do a thallium stress test ( which I've had in the past with the IV etc). Is a chemical stress test the same as a thallium stress test -- with the IV and all?

Thanks again.

4 minutes ago, Mariann812 said:

THIS ⬆️

Exactly my concern. Should I wait and not do the pre-op diet till insurance approves? I am trying to do the surgery April 11 or pretty much any day that week as it is spring break and i do not want to take time off from school. My surgeon and his admin know this.

I would definitely wait. I totally get your concerns and I know that most doctors have the 2 week liquid diet but in reality I know many people who they “pushed thru” with just a few days liquid prior. So yea I would not loose. Insurance can be a b***h!

25 minutes ago, Goldengirl321 said:

I would definitely wait. I totally get your concerns and I know that most doctors have the 2 week liquid diet but in reality I know many people who they “pushed thru” with just a few days liquid prior. So yea I would not loose. Insurance can be a b***h!

Thank you.

13 hours ago, Kimmy Kaye said:

My sleeve surgery is also on the 6th but liquid phase is only 3 days before surgery for my surgeon's patients. I do start 1000 calorie diet on Monday though. How goes the liquid diet so far?

Sent from my Lenovo YT-X705F using BariatricPal mobile app

Its actually not too bad. I thought it would be worse, the only problem ive had that cleared up, was having a headache for couple days cause of the caffeine withdrawal(i use to drink alot of coffee until now.) When i started the other day, i went in it with a clear head and im actually only consuming around 500 calories cause of the sugar free Jello/pudding and sugar free popsicle's. the only thing that really has any calories is the Proteins shake. I think cause i started the liquids with a clear mind, i really dont feel all that hungry either.

Good luck to everyone who's getting surgery! sending hugs and strength your way xxx

It always amazes me how different insurance companies can be on their requirements! My BMI was 37, and I had to be over 35 with a preexisting condition(mild sleep apnea). Also, everyone's programs and length of phases are so different. I was in full liquids for two weeks, and now I'm on purred foods for a month!! Such a long time.

16 minutes ago, carpeediem said:

It always amazes me how different insurance companies can be on their requirements! My BMI was 37, and I had to be over 35 with a preexisting condition(mild sleep apnea). Also, everyone's programs and length of phases are so different. I was in full liquids for two weeks, and now I'm on purred foods for a month!! Such a long time.

It amazes me as well how different criteria is from one insurance company to another. My surgeon is at a Gold Medal Center for Excellence a designation given to it by my insurance company, and I meet all their criteria, and still I wonder if I will get turned down.

Can they do that? Do they do that: turn you down even when you meet all their criteria? I'm curious.

Sometimes. They turned my daughter down for a revision.

My surgeon told me that if you meet the criteria you’re good. I still was nervous though but my approval came in about 2 days

After being pushed back due to Covid, my VSG is now scheduled for April 21st. So nervous and excited. I have to be in a liquid diet until then. Ugh but so worth it. My therapist wants me to put the surgery on hold so we can work through more issues but I don’t want to I just want to continue on with the surgery and I can continue with therapy at the same time.