Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wondering if i made the right decsion

Im sure this has been addressed before but has anyone felt some form of depression after gastric sleeve surgery?

I did my surgery 4 weeks back and i feel sad, i miss food! it was such a joy for me, i used to look forward to going out for dinner or lunch. Now im wondering will i ever enjoy food again ? Will i ever be able to eat with my family again ?

I went out twice with my family for lunch since the operation and i felt soo jealous ! I really wanted to eat and participate in that social activity but i only had tea[emoji24]

Im wondering if i did the right decision ....

Sent from my SM-G975F using BariatricPal mobile app

You WILL be able to eat again. Eventually normal serving sizes even. Not the double or triple servings that restaurants generally serve but you will be able to eat a normal portion of that and take the rest home. I am 11 months out and I eat about one serving of most things.

It was like a bad breakup for me. I missed the socialization of going out to eat, the Snacks, the binging on pizza. I was so depressed my first 6 months BUT I was not taking my Vitamins, getting my Water or Protein. You will get your relationship with food back but in a healthier way. I’ll go out to eat and get a yummy salad or Soup. Now I am 5 months post op I eat a small steak or chicken with potato and veg and still have a ton left for leftovers but I get my socialization and my tasty food

1 hour ago, laloos said:

Im sure this has been addressed before but has anyone felt some form of depression after gastric sleeve surgery?

I did my surgery 4 weeks back and i feel sad, i miss food! it was such a joy for me, i used to look forward to going out for dinner or lunch. Now im wondering will i ever enjoy food again ? Will i ever be able to eat with my family again ?

I went out twice with my family for lunch since the operation and i felt soo jealous ! I really wanted to eat and participate in that social activity but i only had tea

Im wondering if i did the right decision ....

I felt the same way as you at first. I am 7 months out now and it isn't as bad. I can enjoy going out. I still struggle sometimes with wanting more of something just because it tastes good not becuz I need it. I am working on that. When that happens I tell myself I can have it later (in 2-3 hours) or tomorrow. It helps in the moment and usually by later, I no longer want it. However, I am not sad about it anymore. food is losing its power over me slowly and I am enjoying the benefits of being a " normal" size much more than eating. I can do so much more! Wear so much more! Be less anxious about where I can go/fit/ wear/ so much more! One thing I still am having trouble with is people paying attention to me. I was used to being invisible/unseen by others and now people "see" me, talk to me, hold doors for me, look at me...and it just feels weird after being ignored by everyone so long!

yes - you will. There are no food restrictions once you get a ways out, and you'll be able to eat much larger portions than you do now (although not as much as you did pre-surgery, unless you want to risk gaining the weight back again). I have no problem going out to eat - it was really only an issue for me the first couple months after surgery.

I tend to order meals that include a non-fried Protein and some vegetables. I'll sometimes eat a little starch (pasta, potatoes. or bread) - but not much because it sits like a brick in my stomach. Usually whatever I order is an appetizer - or if I do order an entree, I'll eat 1/3 - 1/2 of it and take the rest home. Honestly, that's really not any different than many of my never-been-obese women friends eat. And no one would ever be able to tell I had bariatric surgery at this point - they just assume I'm a "light eater" - if they even notice at all.

So many of us feel like this, I was a complete mess ( feel free to go to my profile and read my early posts) it gets better though I am now 7 months out I still have days where I don't feel so great about my decision but I have come along way from where you are now. Be kind to yourself, do other things or find new things to enjoy. ((Hugs))

6 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

You WILL be able to eat again. Eventually normal serving sizes even. Not the double or triple servings that restaurants generally serve but you will be able to eat a normal portion of that and take the rest home. I am 11 months out and I eat about one serving of most things.

I love that you say normal size portions, I am in a Facebook sleevers group and they tend to make anyone that can eat more than a few mouthfuls at a time like a failure which has left me feeling like I don't have the restriction I should have for example the other day I was away from home so had to eat take away, I got a Bacon deluxe you know just to test the Water see how it went, I ate the whole thing bar the last bit of bun 😬 I didn't know whether to be happy or devastated as someone posted they had half a cheese burger and got smashed for it some of the comments were oh I am 6 years out and no way would have been able to eat more than half etc etc. So to hear you say we should/ can eat a normal sized serving is music to my ears.Thank you

1 hour ago, SleeverSk said:

I love that you say normal size portions, I am in a Facebook sleevers group and they tend to make anyone that can eat more than a few mouthfuls at a time like a failure which has left me feeling like I don't have the restriction I should have for example the other day I was away from home so had to eat take away, I got a Bacon deluxe you know just to test the Water see how it went, I ate the whole thing bar the last bit of bun 😬 I didn't know whether to be happy or devastated as someone posted they had half a cheese burger and got smashed for it some of the comments were oh I am 6 years out and no way would have been able to eat more than half etc etc. So to hear you say we should/ can eat a normal sized serving is music to my ears.Thank you

While you are in the weight loss phase you will want to watch WHAT you eat of course because you can put away quite a bit of calories in a small volume if you don’t but the way I understood it pretty much everyone goes back to around a serving size eventually. Some it may take longer than others but eventually they want you to be able to eat enough to get all your nutrients in from food. I heard that a lot of those Facebook groups are pretty unhealthy. My therapist suggested bariatric pal and so far I have found nothing but support here.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Yes! You made the right decision! Everyone has this exact moment you are experiencing now! You will be able to eat again. You will enjoy food. I'm 5 years post and I eat anything I want. It will take time. Focus on the positives and the end game! This feeling of regret only last a few weeks and then your focus will shift to introducing new food, portion sizes and most important your weight loss. Get creative with your Protein. Make it a large part of your life. It's an extremely important part of your success. I'm 5 years post surgery and still drink my protein. If you are a coffee drinker.. and some vanilla ensure or the like to your coffee. It will bring you comfort and fill you up. For me, I focused less on what I wasn't able to eat and more on what I could eat that gave me the most satisfaction. You can sip on coffee for hours. you can only eat a few bites of eggs. Soups were another big thing for me in the beginning. Why? Bc I could get down more and didn't feel deprived. If I felt like I wanted something sweet. I'd suck on an orange wedge. Try different things to take your mind off the negatives.. they will pass. You will be able to eat and enjoy food again! Start weight was 355 and I'm 140 now.

Edited by Tara A

Thank you soo much ! I needed the reassurance. Thats true most restaurants put a lot of food ill just have to relearn my portions. [emoji847][emoji847][emoji847]

It was like a bad breakup for me. I missed the socialization of going out to eat, the Snacks, the binging on pizza. I was so depressed my first 6 months BUT I was not taking my Vitamins, getting my Water or Protein. You will get your relationship with food back but in a healthier way. I’ll go out to eat and get a yummy salad or Soup. Now I am 5 months post op I eat a small steak or chicken with potato and veg and still have a ton left for leftovers but I get my socialization and my tasty food
Thank you, i guess for the time being i have to look at it in a positive way. When im down i think i wish i can go back in time have my chicken tenders with a diet coke but i know i did it for my own good

2 hours ago, laloos said:

Thank you, i guess for the time being i have to look at it in a positive way. When im down i think i wish i can go back in time have my chicken tenders with a diet coke but i know i did it for my own good

You will be able to have chicken tenders and a diet coke. I can eat 3 KFC tenders but that's all I am full then 😁

I felt the same way as you at first. I am 7 months out now and it isn't as bad. I can enjoy going out. I still struggle sometimes with wanting more of something just because it tastes good not becuz I need it. I am working on that. When that happens I tell myself I can have it later (in 2-3 hours) or tomorrow. It helps in the moment and usually by later, I no longer want it. However, I am not sad about it anymore. food is losing its power over me slowly and I am enjoying the benefits of being a " normal" size much more than eating. I can do so much more! Wear so much more! Be less anxious about where I can go/fit/ wear/ so much more! One thing I still am having trouble with is people paying attention to me. I was used to being invisible/unseen by others and now people "see" me, talk to me, hold doors for me, look at me...and it just feels weird after being ignored by everyone so long!
Thank you ! I really love that idea i will definitely use it and i will be waiting the 2 hrs.

Im looking forward to shopping, dressing nicely and being able to do physical activities like a normal person.

Unfortunately we live in a shallow society and going from being unnoticed to suddenly being noticed is quite strange. This is another thing we need to relearn i guess [emoji847][emoji847][emoji847][emoji847]

yes - you will. There are no food restrictions once you get a ways out, and you'll be able to eat much larger portions than you do now (although not as much as you did pre-surgery, unless you want to risk gaining the weight back again). I have no problem going out to eat - it was really only an issue for me the first couple months after surgery.
I tend to order meals that include a non-fried Protein and some vegetables. I'll sometimes eat a little starch (pasta, potatoes. or bread) - but not much because it sits like a brick in my stomach. Usually whatever I order is an appetizer - or if I do order an entree, I'll eat 1/3 - 1/2 of it and take the rest home. Honestly, that's really not any different than many of my never-been-obese women friends eat. And no one would ever be able to tell I had bariatric surgery at this point - they just assume I'm a "light eater" - if they even notice at all.
Thank you ! Half a portion seems quite good. I kept reading on other forums on insta thay they could only eat a few spoons and that seemed quite sad but now i know its not the case.[emoji847][emoji847][emoji847]

So many of us feel like this, I was a complete mess ( feel free to go to my profile and read my early posts) it gets better though I am now 7 months out I still have days where I don't feel so great about my decision but I have come along way from where you are now. Be kind to yourself, do other things or find new things to enjoy. ((Hugs))
Yes i felt that especially on the day after the surgery .I made the decision in 3 months and made it abruptly. I didnt read any posts so i dont back out.

I guess i need to relearn things and from the comments here it doesn't seem as bad as i thought.

Thank you and yes i need to be kind to myself [emoji847][emoji847][emoji847]