Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After surgery am I doomed to a life of throwing up???

I am almost a year post op…. It will be one year March 24th.
i can say that I have only thrown up once. It was a month or two after surgery and my first time on more solid food and I didn’t know what my body cues were. Because I didn’t know I over ate and threw up.
i can honestly say: ONE time feeling that was enough to make me learn my lesson and I have not had to repeat the experience.

i see how much other people can eat though and I seem to be one of those ones that has a very low volume of food intake. A year out I still can’t eat one whole scrambled egg in one sitting. 🤷🏼‍♀️
but then again a year out I also don’t really feel hunger still.

Everyone's journey is different. You will hear all kinds of stories form different people. I'm almost 5 years post op and I can tell you I eat what ever I want. It does take time to process certain foods the first few months to a year. But you will be able to eat. I had no problem with ground beef/ turkey ect. Steak took a little time to bring back in. Even now I only eat it once in a while. My biggest issue was with lettuce* go figure. You will eat less but you will not be deprived at all. Your body lets you know when to stop. Listen to your body. My start weight was 355lb and I'm 140lb today! This surgery is not for everyone but it was the best decision I ever made for myself. It will be a transition and you will feel regret but it passes very quickly when you start seeing your progress and adapting to your life style change. Eat slowly, listen to your body and the biggest key to success....drink your Protein (get creative with it). 5 years out and I still drink my protein in my coffee every morning as a Meal Replacement for Breakfast. Good luck to you! You got this!!

3 minutes ago, Tara A said:

My start weight was 355lb and I'm 140lb today!

Wow. That’s quite a feat 👏🏻 and I am guessing you have kept the weight off?

How long did it take for you to lose 200+?

I will be 8 weeks out tomorrow and I have not thrown up yet other than right after surgery. But i have eaten a bite or two to many and it hurts like hell but im still learning my new tummy {I had the sleeve) and its limits. I didnt eat much red meat before surgery so no biggie for me but i honestly tolerate tuna or other fish better than any meat. Again Im still a newbie post op. I wish i could have done this weight loss with diet and exercise but once you get a certain overweight exercise is hard especially since I have severe arthritis. Since post op Im moving better - been grumpy the past few days I have no idea why - but honestly Id take never eating meat over being obese any day of the week. Its a big change for sure! But its worth it. I am down 35 pounds as of today! 

threw up the first 3 days post op but this is pretty common but not everyone does this.

My sister is 25 years out bypass and her daughter is out 2-3 years bypass they never throw up. 

SW: 227
Todays weight: 192
VS surgery: 12/22/2022
Total Loss 35 pounds

11 months out and haven't thrown up once. I've made myself nauseous a few times when I've eaten too fast or REALLY overdid it on sweets, but both of those are my fault and helped to remind me to do better.

Hey! I made it just had my gastric bypass today. I will say when I woke up in recovery from anesthesia I was incredibly nauseous and threw up 3 times. The nauseous I felt was only from the anesthesia. Once they gave me good meds and I slept for 3 hours I woke up feeling like a new woman.

I'm already doing laps around the hospital and am drinking liquids, eating ice and Jello. I'm about 8 hours post op

I will say for anyone who has ever had a bit too much to drink, it feels like a bad hangover mixed with an intense core workout... that's the best way I can describe the feeling but you feel so much better with time.

It's not so bad! You will do great!

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

As many have said - I'm about 18 months out and I've thrown up once... about 2 months post op and first starting solid food. I ate some pork (less than 3oz) and promptly thought I was going to die - Threw up and I was fine again. Haven't thrown up since. In the early stages I followed the plan pretty closely, can now eat pretty much whatever I want (in small quantities) and the best decision I've ever made for myself.

11 hours ago, fourmonthspreop said:

Hey! I made it just had my gastric bypass today. I will say when I woke up in recovery from anesthesia I was incredibly nauseous and threw up 3 times. The nauseous I felt was only from the anesthesia. Once they gave me good meds and I slept for 3 hours I woke up feeling like a new woman.

I'm already doing laps around the hospital and am drinking liquids, eating ice and Jello. I'm about 8 hours post op

I will say for anyone who has ever had a bit too much to drink, it feels like a bad hangover mixed with an intense core workout... that's the best way I can describe the feeling but you feel so much better with time.

It's not so bad! You will do great!

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

Congrats!! I knew you'd be fine!

This week is my six month surgery anniversary.

Obviously, everyone's experience is different. My vomiting experiences have fallen into two categories:

1. food I ate too fast
2. Food that I was not healed enough to eat

As to the first one, if you are able to stick to a slow eating timeline, you won't have that issue. I eat slower than I did presurgery (I look back now and half-wonder if I even chewed before swallowing), but old habits die hard.

As to the second one, I tried some meats (chicken, stewed beef) too soon into my solid food stage.

But no, you are not doomed to a life of throwing up.

I’m 2.5 years out. The only times I’ve vomited were when I eat too much too fast. It’s only happened a handful of times in my 2.5 years. It’s a really good deterrent that makes me really aware of slowing down and sticking to my planned portion size.

I’m about a year and 3 months post op. I threw up once in the hospital right after surgery trying to drink my liquid pain meds laying down. In retrospect that was dumb but I was still groggy so yeah. Haven’t thrown up once since.

My primary issue after my sleeve wasn’t actually throwing up but feeling like I was going to…if you do start to feel that way try your best to not let your body “fight” the urge and just try to let it exit as gently as it can. Fighting the inevitable will only make you sore inside and out, unfortunately. I found that out the hard way so now I just try to relax…which luckily hasn’t happened much

I'm almost 3 years out and haven't thrown up once in all that time, including right after surgery. I had the foamies twice because I ate a little too fast but walking around helps and if it's Protein, then papaya enzyme may help too. Keep in mind that most people tend to post horror stories rather than success stories so it's easy to get psyched out. I had the same fears you are going through now but it was the best decision I've ever made. I'm now in the process of getting excess skin removed. Don't let others psyche you out....

I have been prone to vomiting a couple times a month after eating too fast or having Water too close to meals. If It hurts a lot I have made myself vomit to relieve that feeling. It is not frequent and like someone said in this thread, it is not like pre surgery vomiting. It is usually just foam and just easier and less disgustnig.