Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm having a mini bypass in about a month. I haven't told anyone and i really don't want to. 7 yrs ago I had gastric balloon which didn't help much and it was thrown in my face a few times. So I don't want to tell anyone. But obviously I will be in hospital for two days. What procedure can I say I had instead?

I know we need support. But this one I'm going alone. My support will be you guys. Not my family.

I bet you'll love the MGB compared to the balloon. I love mine. Stop by the MGB forum some time!

I'm a huge fan of privacy, but not of lying. I'd say "I'm having a procedure" without specifying which one, then change the subject.

8 minutes ago, FutureSylph said:

I'm a huge fan of privacy, but not of lying. I'd say "I'm having a procedure" without specifying which one, then change the subject.

"I'm having Lipo. Yeah, they'll use the big vaccum you know" ;)

I am also not telling anyone. Only person that will know will be my mom who is taking me for the surgery. I am a person who does not like the support of others. I support myself. But find yourself someone you really trust for your support.

I think it was the hiatal hernia repair that explains most everything. Similar recoveries and post op diets even. Double check cause I’m not 100% certain but I think that was it.

23 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I think it was the hiatal hernia repair that explains most everything. Similar recoveries and post op diets even. Double check cause I’m not 100% certain but I think that was it.

Thanks!!!❤

1 hour ago, FutureSylph said:

Yeah I hate lying too but knowing the people I know they are gonna ask for details. And I really don't want to say anything. So I just want to steer them away from it. 😒 when the closest people to you disapprove it's kinda hard relying on them for support.

You are not alone in wanting to keep it a secret. I kept it private as well. The only person that knows is my husband. I've been kind of a hermit during Covid, so that helped because I wasn't going out much to begin with. I did tell family and friends that I had adopted a healthier eating lifestyle. That way, they won't be too surprised when they see me....well they will be because I've lost weight, but they will assume it's the new, healthier eating habits, which is not a total lie. As far as work, I simply said I was getting a procedure done, and I would be back in approximately four weeks. I work from home, so they won't see me anyway....

Good Luck to you! ♥

1 hour ago, SunnycoastStef said:

What procedure can I say I had instead?

That you got you gall bladder removed.

Same scars, same recovery, same-ish post op diet, and can be used to explain why you are cutting out fat and grease from your diet, and why you are losing so much weight.

Or say you have a benign tumour in your stomach that is being removed, along with part of your stomach?

…or say nothing at all ❤️

Recovering from gallbladder surgery took me about 2 days (just had mine out on Thursday) and isn’t a great cover story.

If you are getting a hernia repaired that’s a)not lying and b) much more similar in terms of recovery since it’s a rougher surgery and affects what you can eat for weeks.

I didn’t tell anyone at first and then had complications post surgery that made it really obvious it was a bigger surgery than I had let on. So now my family knows. But I’m still glad it kept it to myself at first. Arguing with me pre surgery is more fun than after I’ve already done it and lost 50 lbs. 😅

I just told My husband and Son. Everybody will see a slimmer Me once spring hits in the UK. Its been such a long lockdown here, virtually 30 months on and off, that I have seen no one that matters. I don't think the rest of my family would understand or approve anyway. I know now that others have had the procedure done and not said anything, my bariatric radar is on permanent alert. I haven't had to lie which is great as I am useless at it. I was going to go with Hiatus hernia too

I told people I had hiatal hernia repair, which of course they did during the VSG.

Yeah I hate lying too but knowing the people I know they are gonna ask for details. And I really don't want to say anything. So I just want to steer them away from it. [emoji19] when the closest people to you disapprove it's kinda hard relying on them for support.
youre right. Only my close family members knew about my RNY, and the day of the procedure my extended cousins from the country and outside came pouring in with questions and i became famous for that week. But then you have those that are jealous and think you're cheating. My sister in law didnt have the nerve to say it to my face but to my mom she did

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

I only told my husband, mother, son, and his girlfriend. It got kind of dicey because I ended up in the hospital an extra week. I didn’t go out to dinner with the rest of the family during the liquids and soft food phases. Now I can eat regular food and I get a to go box and take most of it home or just get an appetizer.