Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Successful post op gastric bypass

Hey!

I'm getting ready to have my bypass on Monday in 4 days about. I'm getting really nervous and hitting that stage where you feel regret and extreme fear. I have read so many stories about people becoming chronically ill after bypass. What if that's me? I'm also scared how much pain I'll be in but maybe it will work out? I'm in my mid 20s, I have no health conditions so I keep being told I will probably recover just fine but you can't help and be completely terrified of the unknown.

So I'd like to hear how you felt waking up from your surgery and if it went really well for you, tell me a bit about that. I know some people tolerate liquids really well, have minimal pain and are super active day of. Did that happen for you?

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

Many Prayers for a speedy Blessed recovery. I personally have no regrets. I did not have any complications in my recovery. I am only close to 6 months out but I am 125lbs down an feeling better than I have in years. I am thankful for this group, anytime I’ve had fears or questions this support group has been very helpful. Everyone will tell you this but Walk walk walk. A normal gas pain is intense but if you walk you will work it out. Take your favorite Protein Drink to the hospital and if you are on a Cpap take it as well. Biotene for dry mouth, Carmen or chapstick an your most comfy clothes for the ride home. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. I do anytime. I did have some health isssues an a lot older than you but I came thru just fine as I am sure you will!!! God Bless!!!

I was 53 when I had mine. My daughter was 22. Neither of us have any regrates!

I have had a lot of surgeries for various things - I wasn't nervous at all about the surgery.

My daughter has had 5 surgeries (4 for the same thing) - she wasn't nervous at all either.

I'm not sure if the gas pain that people talk about is gas in their abdomen as general pain or the gas/discomfort that is felt in the left shoulder after any abdominal surgery. I have always had horrendous pain in my left shoulder after ANY abdominal surgery. It lasts for 2-3 weeks (but that's just me - because of scoliosis by torso is unique - I had my scoliosis corrected when I was 48 - DON'T WAIT THAT LONG!). My daughter had no troubles at all even though she also has scoliosis (she had hers corrected when she was 15 & has had 3 other surgeries because of the 1st one).

But I can tell you our bodies feel so much better since getting all of the weight off because of weight loss surgery! I have lost over 70 (I am very happy with this weight & I feel great!). My daughter has lost over 150 & she is more active than she ever was before!

Stick to your docs plan and take your vitamins!

Just wear home whatever you wore to the hospital. No need to take an extra set of clothes. Your toothbrush, toothpaste, Biotin mouthwash is a great idea (I like the Walmart brand), phone charger & ChapStick & PJ's (so you don't have to wear the hospital gown once you start moving around).

Good vibes & happy thoughts as you drift off to sleep in a few days! I always sing "I Wanna be Sedated" by the Ramones as I am wheeled to the OR.

When I woke up I was completely comfortable. No pain until I talked. Then I had a bit of scratch in my throat from the intubation. I also had a little irritation first time out from the urine catheter. Honest, I felt great. They do so much now to prevent pain in the incision areas. I swear I didn't even have the gas pressure issues. With that said, be careful getting up and moving around. It may not feel like it but you just had surgery. Also, the posters above covered it really good. I took my phone/charger, ear buds,underwear for under the gown and a pair of flip flops. Good luck on your surgery and keep us posted.

Many Prayers for a speedy Blessed recovery. I personally have no regrets. I did not have any complications in my recovery. I am only close to 6 months out but I am 125lbs down an feeling better than I have in years. I am thankful for this group, anytime I’ve had fears or questions this support group has been very helpful. Everyone will tell you this but Walk walk walk. A normal gas pain is intense but if you walk you will work it out. Take your favorite Protein drink to the hospital and if you are on a Cpap take it as well. Biotene for dry mouth, Carmen or chapstick an your most comfy clothes for the ride home. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. I do anytime. I did have some health isssues an a lot older than you but I came thru just fine as I am sure you will!!! God Bless!!!
Thank you for your kind words. [emoji1317]

I was 53 when I had mine. My daughter was 22. Neither of us have any regrates!
I have had a lot of surgeries for various things - I wasn't nervous at all about the surgery.
My daughter has had 5 surgeries (4 for the same thing) - she wasn't nervous at all either.
I'm not sure if the gas pain that people talk about is gas in their abdomen as general pain or the gas/discomfort that is felt in the left shoulder after any abdominal surgery. I have always had horrendous pain in my left shoulder after ANY abdominal surgery. It lasts for 2-3 weeks (but that's just me - because of scoliosis by torso is unique - I had my scoliosis corrected when I was 48 - DON'T WAIT THAT LONG!). My daughter had no troubles at all even though she also has scoliosis (she had hers corrected when she was 15 & has had 3 other surgeries because of the 1st one).
But I can tell you our bodies feel so much better since getting all of the weight off because of weight loss surgery! I have lost over 70 (I am very happy with this weight & I feel great!). My daughter has lost over 150 & she is more active than she ever was before!
Stick to your docs plan and take your vitamins!
Just wear home whatever you wore to the hospital. No need to take an extra set of clothes. Your toothbrush, toothpaste, Biotin mouthwash is a great idea (I like the Walmart brand), phone charger & ChapStick & PJ's (so you don't have to wear the hospital gown once you start moving around).
Good vibes & happy thoughts as you drift off to sleep in a few days! I always sing "I Wanna be Sedated" by the Ramones as I am wheeled to the OR.
Thanks so much for this. It's really heart warming to have such great advice from this forum. I can't wait to be on the other side of it. This will be the scariest part for me.

When I woke up I was completely comfortable. No pain until I talked. Then I had a bit of scratch in my throat from the intubation. I also had a little irritation first time out from the urine catheter. Honest, I felt great. They do so much now to prevent pain in the incision areas. I swear I didn't even have the gas pressure issues. With that said, be careful getting up and moving around. It may not feel like it but you just had surgery. Also, the posters above covered it really good. I took my phone/charger, ear buds,underwear for under the gown and a pair of flip flops. Good luck on your surgery and keep us posted.
I'm terrified of catheters [emoji45] I am going to beg them to put it in and remove it while I'm under.
They'll be putting a pain reliever in my abdomen that lasts a couple days. The stitches will also be on the inside of me and dissolvable then they're using medical super glue on the incisions.
I'm so scared but I will keep everyone updated. Hopefully I'll have good news on the otherside of it!

2 minutes ago, fourmonthspreop said:

I'm terrified of catheters I am going to beg them to put it in and remove it while I'm under.

Yes!!!! Me too. I never saw either. Both were in and out while I was in lala land.

It's a short surgery, so most of us don't have catheters. I didn't have one. I did have one when I had plastic surgery (which was a much longer surgery), but they don't place those until you're under. You likely won't even have one with this surgery, though.

also, being chronically ill after bypass is extremely rare.

and pain - although some people deal with pain, the vast majority of us have little to no pain with these surgeries. Even if you do, they'll send you home with pain meds. I never took any of mine (no pain here), but if you do, just keep on top of the meds and it should really keep it manageable. Should only last the first two or three days tops. But again, most of us have little to no pain with these surgeries.

just try to relax. I'm sure everything will go fine.

I'm almost seven years out and would do this again in a heartbeat. Should have done it years ago.

Edited by catwoman7

13 hours ago, fourmonthspreop said:

Hey!

I'm getting ready to have my bypass on Monday in 4 days about. I'm getting really nervous and hitting that stage where you feel regret and extreme fear. I have read so many stories about people becoming chronically ill after bypass. What if that's me? I'm also scared how much pain I'll be in but maybe it will work out? I'm in my mid 20s, I have no health conditions so I keep being told I will probably recover just fine but you can't help and be completely terrified of the unknown.

So I'd like to hear how you felt waking up from your surgery and if it went really well for you, tell me a bit about that. I know some people tolerate liquids really well, have minimal pain and are super active day of. Did that happen for you?

The moment I came out of the anesthesia, I was insanely groggy and my abdomen was SORE. Best way I can describe is that it felt like I had someone trying to blow up a balloon underneath my stitches. That pain went down 50% over the next 24 hours, but it was probably about 10 days before that pain completely went away. There will be days when it is just plain sore, especially as your abs heal from the incision (the main incision on the left side, where they cut the abdominal muscle to get in, took the longest to heal and longest to no longer have pain).

I tolerated liquids well from the start; I was sipping Crystal Light lemonade in the hospital and handled the Jello just fine.

As far as being super active...well, define "super active." This was my first surgery ever and what I didn't realize was how much surgery saps your energy. I would slowly walk around the hospital floor once or twice a day, mostly just to have a change of scenery. I walked like an old man in a nursing home, but all the nurses commented on how much more I walked than most people who have bariatric surgery. It was a week before I had something approaching a normal schedule, but it was a few weeks before I had normal energy levels.

If you are in your 20s, are going to be diligent about your vitamins/nutrition/protein and have no major complicating factors (autoimmune diseases, etc.), then chronic illness is not super likely.

Mine was a revision, the band had apparently slipped so it was a 4 hour surgery. I had a catheter anyway but never knew it. I woke up in my own hospital bed. Felt a bit bad but could quickly get up and hobble about to the bathroom and whatever, holding onto my IV. Home the next day. Pretty awful 3 days, walk walk walk, gas exiting noisily. Day 4, the clouds parted and sunlight came through. Day 5 I felt elated and went on a 2 hour walk. Since then (I'm on day 15) it's fine. You're young and healthy so it's as certain as it can possibly be you'll be fine and it'll work well for you.

WALK!