Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yesterday I met with the dietitian. I don’t have a surgery date yet, but she is having me start a 1,300 calorie diet with 45% carbs, 30% Protein and 25% fat. No refined carbs. I was writing down healthy snack ideas like Greek yogurt with granola (my favorite). Then I saw that granola is not allowed because it is a refined carb. I started crying! I think I was crying more about the idea of a diet than the actual granola. It’s been an emotional week for me as I launch forward on my WLS journey. All my tests are done. Two appointments left (follow up with psychologist and dietician). It finally feels like this is really happening.

Yea. The idea of saying goodbye to food is an emotional one but you really aren’t saying goodbye forever just see ya later for a little while. I am able to eat small amounts of everything I was able to eat pre surgery. I just tried those things once for peace of mind. Now I know that once I get to maintenance I will be able to have them in moderation again.

True. I have found I don’t even like too many refined carbs anymore because they get stuck in my intestines and take a week or so to sort out. These foods will still exist in the world and you will eventually be able to have them again. (I do occasionally need to remind myself of this about holiday treats.)

37 minutes ago, suzannethemom said:

Yesterday I met with the dietitian. I don’t have a surgery date yet, but she is having me start a 1,300 calorie diet with 45% carbs, 30% Protein and 25% fat. No refined carbs. I was writing down healthy snack ideas like Greek yogurt with granola (my favorite). Then I saw that granola is not allowed because it is a refined carb. I started crying! I think I was crying more about the idea of a diet than the actual granola. It’s been an emotional week for me as I launch forward on my WLS journey. All my tests are done. Two appointments left (follow up with psychologist and dietician). It finally feels like this is really happening.

it seems like such a little thing but giving up foods is hard. Did the dietitian have suggestions or substitutes? (And for what it’s worth I *could* eat granola in my yogurt at this point but I choose nuts instead for the crunchy texture)

It’s the beginning of examining what we eat & looking for healthier, more nutrient dense food. But yes, it can be an emotional roller coaster as you realise certain foods you enjoyed (offered comfort?) may be off the menu for a while, and your stress levels are already up as you near your surgery date.

But there are a lot of things you can eat at 1300 calories. It’s about what I eat to maintain (3 meals & 3 snacks). Look for foods with similar flavours, textures & ingredients. Love your granola, try rolled oats (not instant) with some seeds, nuts & blueberries. (Granola is often high in sugar & fat too so another reason it would be off your plan.) I’ve snacked on things like cheese, high Protein yoghurt (look for low added sugar or naturally sweetened with fruit), multi grain crackers, hummus, vegetable crudités, fruit, etc. It’s often easier if you make your own favourite treats as you choose the ingredients & how it’s prepped/cooked. Like you can make a low fat healthier guacamole with avocado, herbs & spices to taste, diced Tomato, celery, a little grated red onion & lemon/lime juice. Lots of recipes about for healthier options. Look for alternatives like cauliflower rice & zucchini noodles instead of highly processed rice & Pasta.

One of the challenging things is reducing your sugar, salt & caffeine intake. Their addictive nature makes withdrawal hard.

It will be all worth it. All the best.

Edited by Arabesque

6 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Did the dietitian have suggestions or substitutes?

Yes, she suggested almonds or other nuts.

There'll be plenty granola in your future. Just smaller portions. Right now, you may have to give them a rest, sure, but don't worry.

I also love Greek yogurt and granola. Where I would have eaten it every day before surgery, I now eat it just occasionally. I eat Nature's Path Love Crunch because the sugar, fat and calories are lower than the type I used to eat. I also switched to high protein/zero sugar Greek yogurt. I eat pretty much everything I used to eat, but in healthier versions and a lot smaller portions. Find what works for you to avoid feeling deprived and sad that you need to "give up" certain foods. Good luck!!

Humans aren't programmed to want to give up things, so it's a natural reaction.

Granola is one of those things that sounds healthy - check out the calories for a bowl. Heart attack.

3 hours ago, Pollito said:

Granola is one of those things that sounds healthy - check out the calories for a bowl. Heart attack.

you said it! Prior to surgery, I would have eaten a bowlful of it. Now I have to limit it to a couple of tablespoons on top of Greek yogurt. This far out, eating it doesn't bother my stomach - but the calories - YIKES!

19 hours ago, suzannethemom said:

Could you try making your own granola with whole grains? After surgery, I wouldn’t try it until you can move to solid food. I sometimes mix a tablespoon of seeds/nuts with a few ounces of 0 fat plain Greek yogurt and it tastes pretty good. You could probably toast some whole grain oatmeal flakes with nuts and seeds to give you the crunch of granola. After surgery, you’ll probably be satisfied with a small amount, so it won’t be a big deal.

On 2/5/2022 at 4:26 AM, Pollito said:

It’s crazy because I can remember as a kid eating a BOWL of granola with milk. It was a trend in the 80s cuz everyone thought it was healthy. Ugh.

Check the recommended portion size of granola - usually 1/2 cup or 3 tablespoons. That’s what would be surprising to many who used to fill their bowls or add a couple of spoons to their yoghurt. It’s where we often got caught with food - eating 2 & 3 times the single portion.

I’m pretty sure all of us past a certain age ate huge portions of “healthy” granola back in the day.

It is so totally normal to mourn your favorite foods. Mine was tuna noodle casserole- childhood comfort food. Also potatoes, I love them in every format. I eat both foods now in maintenance, I went a time without them but they’re back, in moderation now.

Don’t beat yourself up- food is important to everybody, but I think a lot of us who have been very heavy relied on it more than most. It’s been a comfort, memories, celebrations, so much more than just food. Don’t worry too much either though- most likely it will still be there for you after you’ve recovered.