Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating too fast maybe?

I had my op October 2021, Doing great, the weight loss is coming off. 5 and a half stone so far, I feel so much better and able to move more, I am happier thats for sure! However I do have a question......Just recently when I eat, straight after I get all hot, sweaty and shaky and have palpitations almost like a diabetic Hypo(low blood sugar) . However I checked my blood sugar, and it is normal. Am I eating too fast? I have no other symptoms. This is just weird!!!

Love & Light

It could be reactive hypoglycemia, but you said you've checked your blood sugar. It could be a form of dumping (are you eating things that are higher in sugar or fat when this happens?), it could be that you are eating too fast.

I would keep track of when this happens and see if you can identify what the common factors are.

Also... definitely try to reach out to your doctor.

I agree with lizonaplane, again. I have felt that, but only when eating candy and it was a dumping episode. I do remember seeing my diabetic mother react like that many many times during a meal. Definitely reach out to your doctor.

I got that at about two years out. I went in for a work up (they checked EVERYTHING), and everything came back normal. Then I noticed it again about an hour or two after I'd eaten a piece of cake at a retirement party. I mentioned it to my PCP, and she said it was probably reactive hypoglycemia - my glucose may have just happened to be normal when they did the work up. But then you said your glucose was normal during or right after that event, so that's probably not it. I'd let your doctor know...

Sounds like everybody else recognizes it as reactive hypoglycemia. Be careful what you eat going forward.

Thanks Guys for all your contributions of advice . 😘

I am Going to be very mindful going forward, and just go back to basics if need be, See how that is, and If it still continues I will make an appointment with my doctor next week. I may be eating too fast, I am working on slowing everything down. I only had my surgery in October 2021, So Its still early days as well, But thanks once again xxx🤗

I had sleeve to RNY revision the day after Thanksgiving. I still can only eat 1 oz safely and up to 1.5 oz depending on what it is. Even then sometimes 1.5 hours later my chest start churning and gurgling, and I end up throwing up. I feel better after, but this is happening on a regular basis. Any ideas, doctor is in Dallas, 2 hours away. I'm not even sure how to explain this to him. I was severely dehydrated a month ago and talked to him and had an appointment soon after, a scheduled follow-up after surgery. He doesn't know what is going on now. I'm not able to take my supplement like I must do. Eating is iffy and liquids feels like a full-time job! I'm overwhelmed.

4 minutes ago, StratusPhr said:

I had sleeve to RNY revision the day after Thanksgiving. I still can only eat 1 oz safely and up to 1.5 oz depending on what it is. Even then sometimes 1.5 hours later my chest start churning and gurgling, and I end up throwing up. I feel better after, but this is happening on a regular basis. Any ideas, doctor is in Dallas, 2 hours away. I'm not even sure how to explain this to him. I was severely dehydrated a month ago and talked to him and had an appointment soon after, a scheduled follow-up after surgery. He doesn't know what is going on now. I'm not able to take my supplement like I must do. Eating is iffy and liquids feels like a full-time job! I'm overwhelmed.

I would definitely call your doctor. This does not sound normal to me. Even if they are two hours away they can see you or recommend someone near you.

Taking your supplement is critical. Are you unable to take it because you throw up? Mine makes me throw up sometimes. I have to take it with food. Can you take yours with a Protein Shake? Are you not able to drink?

It sounds serious, so call the doc or their office to talk to a PA/NP. Good luck!

5 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

I would definitely call your doctor. This does not sound normal to me. Even if they are two hours away they can see you or recommend someone near you.

Taking your supplement is critical. Are you unable to take it because you throw up? Mine makes me throw up sometimes. I have to take it with food. Can you take yours with a Protein Shake? Are you not able to drink?

It sounds serious, so call the doc or their office to talk to a PA/NP. Good luck!

I was drinking three Protein Shakes a day pre-op. Now they feel heavy, 8 oz is a lot to get down, and I need to get at least two down per day. I was throwing it up every time I'd drink a third of one. I tried two others without any change. I gave up. I am not taking the Vitamins with food because when I take them it feels like I've eaten a meal. I have the Bariatric Advantage choc chews. I loved them after sleeve surgery, not now, and one fills me up! I am drinking two glasses of FairLife lactose free milk every day.

The office is closed today and tomorrow because of the weather. I will call Monday. Thank you.

Some Protein Shakes are “meal replacement shakes” and those are difficult to drink post op. I bought a different kind that is just the Protein Powder, without a lot of thickeners and I drink it with just Water or almond milk instead of milk. That makes it much thinner and easier to drink more.