Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

18 days post-op. Left side pain, can't drink shakes

Hi all, It's been a while since I have posted. Have been in a poor state of mind. It's been 18 days since my Sleeve surgery and though there was a good period of no pain it has surfaced again. My left side hurts immensely when I move. No movement no pain. I can't drink the Protein Shakes as I will through it up seconds after I consume. The surgeon's office said to try and dilute it with Water so that it is not so thick. Tried that but didn't work. I am drinking 2-3 sips of pedilight every 30 minutes. I was at the ER for 9 hrs this past Friday night as all of this just hit my tipping point. They did a chest X-Ray an MRI and all the regular Labs. Everything came back normal. The MRI did show there was some inflammation but nothing to be concerned about and my white blood cells were fine so no sign of infection. Last night I scrambled a few eggs and they stayed in. This morning I sipped a Peanut Butter smoothie from Jamba juice as it has 64g of Protein. I got about a 1/4 of it down. Emotions are still all over the place. On Thursday we had to put our Boxer dog down as he developed a neurological issue that had incapacitated him. I know that this to shall pass. I did not expect to be so "un-recovered" this far out of surgery. I am assuming that since all tests came back in good standing the pain I am feeling is being caused by throwing up so much. Mornings are really bad as I am just expelling a lot of mucus. The "dry-heaves" are pretty insane so much air comes up. I am taking medication for bloating and gas and also something to break up the mucus. I see my regular doctor on Wednesday so maybe he'll have some suggestions. I hope everyone is doing great with their recovery! Be well!

I am sorry to hear you are feeling so poorly and that you lost your dog. Have you tried the Protein waters?

5 minutes ago, Flab-U-Less Forever said:

I am sorry to hear you are feeling so poorly and that you lost your dog. Have you tried the Protein waters?

Thank you. Yes I have drank the protien clear waters they are difficult to get down but I'm still trying with them. My refrigerator is FULL of protien Water and shakes.

You can also add extra unflavored Protein to your smoothies to increase the protein or add PB Fit if you like Peanut Butter flavor. I mean 64 grams is a lot if you could get it all down but since you can’t maybe you could add a bit without changing the taste. It says unflavored but I can taste it if I add too much to things.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I'm sorry to hear that your recovery isn't going as optimally as hoped. Get some sugar-free popsicles to get some more liquid in and they'll stay down. Maybe try some Jello. It's not incision pain, is it? Just pain from throwing up so much? Please take care. We care about you and I'll be praying for your emotions and recovery.

Hi Kurt, I know how you feel I spent 7 weeks curled up in a ball on my sisters couch feeling like was/ wanted to die. I couldnt/ didn't want to eat or drink. If you go back through my old posts you will see how bad I was feeling. Just try to eat and drink what you can. I couldn't have shakes either because of they way they effected me. I lived on KFC mash potato and gravy then a few chicken nuggets. I was drinking Protein Water to get my protein in but at this stage don't worry about calories etc because seriously the tiny amount you are eating it's not going to matter. Could your Vitamins be causing you issues I know mine did. I also found when I ate later in the evening I felt better in the morning. 1 night a had a maccas sundae and felt amazing the next morning so good in fact I had Breakfast. I also found I felt the worst in the mornings and normally struggled to get anything in. I did seek out a psychologist which helped but I think it's just a time thing trust me it gets better. Hope you feel better soon ((hugs)) oh about the 4-5 month mark is when I started to feel better and yes I cried multiple times a day during that period going back to work helped me a lot too got me back into my routine. Ok I will shut up now but feel free to reach out

I'm sorry this has been a difficult journey thus far, and sorry to hear about your dog.

It sounds like you need nausea meds to get the nausea/vomiting under control. Hopefully if the nausea and vomiting ceases the pain from vomiting will get better and you will be able to tolerate more foods and liquids. I'd talk to the doctor about meds.

I have had problems like you from the get go. Its quite difficult to get to all your Protein and Water in. At 9 weeks out, I have not, ever reached my goals. I cant do the shakes or drinks either. I have tried all the ones available in the Uk. My dietician says just eat what you can. I still aim for 6 small snack meals a day. Every week I try something different, mostly its a fail but some times I am surprised by a win. tuna mayo on 2 small crackers went down a treat. Win win. Yesterday I made Mussels in a Thai broth. The 8 small, well chewed mussels went down fine but the broth had to wait to be eaten separately later. Animal meats, no matter how well cooked are still a no no. bread of any kind - not on your nelly. Vegetables other than in a Soup form and in place of a snack meal - no room at the inn.

A typical days eating is Breakfast - 75gms yogurt or 30 gms porridge. lunch - Surimi sticks or a egg mayo. Snack 1 - mushroom soup. dinner - pate or tuna mayo and crackers. Snack 2 cheese. Snack 3- fruit ice lolly. I drink milky coffee [ because I am allowed]

I have given up on the gummy vitamins and soluble Calcium, both give me nausea. I replaced them with tablet form ones.

On the plus side, I am less wobbly and able to do more everyday. on the down side I haven't lost any weight for a month. I see my dietician this week so I will see what she says

2 hours ago, summerseeker said:

I have had problems like you from the get go. Its quite difficult to get to all your Protein and Water in. At 9 weeks out, I have not, ever reached my goals. I cant do the shakes or drinks either. I have tried all the ones available in the Uk. My dietician says just eat what you can. I still aim for 6 small snack meals a day. Every week I try something different, mostly its a fail but some times I am surprised by a win. tuna mayo on 2 small crackers went down a treat. Win win. Yesterday I made Mussels in a Thai broth. The 8 small, well chewed mussels went down fine but the broth had to wait to be eaten separately later. Animal meats, no matter how well cooked are still a no no. bread of any kind - not on your nelly. Vegetables other than in a Soup form and in place of a snack meal - no room at the inn.

A typical days eating is Breakfast - 75gms yogurt or 30 gms porridge. lunch - Surimi sticks or a egg mayo. Snack 1 - mushroom Soup. dinner - pate or tuna mayo and crackers. Snack 2 cheese. Snack 3- fruit ice lolly. I drink milky coffee [ because I am allowed]

I have given up on the gummy vitamins and soluble Calcium, both give me nausea. I replaced them with tablet form ones.

On the plus side, I am less wobbly and able to do more everyday. on the down side I haven't lost any weight for a month. I see my dietician this week so I will see what she says

Totally agree a small tin of the high Protein and Calcium tuna mixed with Mayo on cruskitswere a staple of mine too, kids yoghurt pouches were great too as the consistency is thinner. It so easy to forget what it was like and what we survived on once you get past the hard times.which I guess is a good thing

I forgot to mention, the pain in the left side. I had pain there too my surgeon said it was most likely my spleen as sometimes it can get unsettled or brushed during surgery. I don't have that pain any more but obviously let your surgeon know just Incas it is something that needs to be checked out