Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Favorite products

First word of warning: a lot of people find that they either can't tolerate or don't like the same things after surgery that they did before surgery. A VERY common thread on BP is "I used [X brand] of shakes before surgery and liked them, but now I can't stand them, what other brands should I try." So don't think you need to find your brands/flavors and stock up before surgery. The better plan might be to buy those variety packs to try after your surgery.

As far as Protein Shakes, I stick with the premade Premier Protein shakes (the ones with 30oz of protein). For Protein Shake powders, I like Keto Chow and just mix it with Water and not add the fat source (like heavy whipping cream or butter).

I also like the Protein2O Protein waters.

For salty/crunchy Snacks, the Quest chips and Asha foods popped water lilly seeds.

Completely agree with @Splenda. Tastes may change and you may get burned out on certain things very quickly, so don't stock up too much as you may end up with stuff you can't use.

That being said, I really enjoyed Premier Protein premade shakes in the beginning. When I got sick of those, I switched to Protein2o waters and have used those ever since. I used Isopure unflavored in the early days to add to soups/purees, but I don't use it for anything now. I love Built Bars for on the go meals, and I always keep a couple in my purse for emergencies. I'm only 4 months out, so I haven't ventured into snack territory yet, as I'm barely getting in 3ish meals a day, but I've heard great things about Quest and Quevos chips.

Protein SHAKES: GNC Premade Lean Swiss chocolate 25 g protein

CRACKERS: Good Things in sea salt or plain salt

PROTEIN BARS: Think! Cupcake Creme bars

Water ENHANCER: Kroger Peach Tea powdered mix

CHIPS: Quest Nacho cheese Tortilla chips

POPCORN: Skinny Pop sea salt

COOKIES: Kodiak Bites chocolate graham Cookies

I like the Atkins Smores bars and the Quest and Atkins Peanut Butter cups. Quest Protein Bars are okay for a lunch on the go.

I find that I can often find Core Power Protein Drinks (low sugar, 27g protein) at many drug, grocery, and convenience stores, so that's great when on the road.

I like the Starburst brand drink packets.

Fairlife high Protein milk, sugar free hot chocolate, etc.

If you don't like the protein drinks you buy, try mixing them with iced coffee. I like them okay, but I get sick of them.

There is a thread called favorite grocery store products if you are looking for regular food ideas down the road but if you are talking about immediately post op I used premiere Protein as well but I couldn’t tolorate super sweet so I like the caffe latte (it does have caffeine though so check your teams rules on that).

It is great to be thinking about this ahead of time! I agree with Splenda above, taste can change. I started drinking Protein Shakes a few weeks before surgery. I found two that I liked.

After surgery, I have only been able to drink Protein shakes on two occasions. They made me vomit.

I do use Syntrax Nectar unflavored Protein Powder, to add to Crystal Light, oatmeal, pancakes, etc.

I second the suggestion to not stick up on too much before surgery, especially shakes as many peoples tastes for sweetness changes as do others post surgery. I ordered shakes on Amazon and had two cases that I couldn’t drink after surgery.

I agree about not stocking up on shakes. I still have some from my surgery almost 3 months ago. I put a couple ounces in Decaf coffee for extra Protein. I seldom want to drink a shake since I can eat food now. I still have sugar free Jello and pudding too. I only made it once.

11 hours ago, JessiPhoenix said:

Thank you all for the great suggestions! I drink Atkins and premiere Protein Shakes right now but my dr says I won't be able to after surgery because they aren't whey Protein isolate. Has anyone else come across this? Only being able to do whey Protein isolate instead of blend?

My surgery center didn't say we had to only drink whey protein isolate, but I've heard that they absorb slightly better. I don't worry too much about it. I think if you have duodenal switch it's more of an issue. I would follow your surgeon's advice if you can, but try not to obsess over it. I like the Fairlife nutrition plan shakes, which are just filtered milk (30g protein for 11 oz). I couldn't stand the powdered protein mixes, which tend to be the whey protein isolate, so I wouldn't have been able to get my protein in at all if I stuck to those.

11 hours ago, JessiPhoenix said:

Thank you all for the great suggestions! I drink Atkins and premiere Protein Shakes right now but my dr says I won't be able to after surgery because they aren't whey Protein isolate. Has anyone else come across this? Only being able to do whey Protein isolate instead of blend?

we were told to stick to whey protein isolate shakes until we were able to get all/most of our protein from food. At that point, those who wanted to continue with shakes could have blends if they wanted. Reason being is whey protein isolate is better absorbed than other forms of protein.

I like the premier shakes and at 9 months out still have 1 almost every day because I just prefer to knock half my Protein out without thinking about it. My tastes did not change after surgery.

P3 snack packs are great to have on hand for a quick lunch, I always have deli turkey in the fridge too, eggs, turkey Jerky and jerky sticks, greek yogurt, eggwich's are a good Breakfast option. Wasa bread thin cracker things, good thin crackers, rice cakes. I drink a ton of gatorade zero, body armour lyte, and diet iced tea as well.

Even though my tastes didn't change after surgery I still wouldn't recommend stocking up too much on anything. Even if you like something you may get sick of it. Variety helps keep things interesting.

2 minutes ago, JDLane said:

I like the premier shakes and at 9 months out still have 1 almost every day because I just prefer to knock half my Protein out without thinking about it. My tastes did not change after surgery.

P3 snack packs are great to have on hand for a quick lunch, I always have deli turkey in the fridge too, eggs, turkey Jerky and Jerky sticks, greek yogurt, eggwich's are a good Breakfast option. Wasa bread thin cracker things, good thin crackers, rice cakes. I drink a ton of gatorade zero, body armour lyte, and diet iced tea as well.

Even though my tastes didn't change after surgery I still wouldn't recommend stocking up too much on anything. Even if you like something you may get sick of it. Variety helps keep things interesting.

My tastes didn't change either. I was hoping not to like sweets anymore, but no such luck. I do get sick of things. The only thing is that now I only like Water if it is ice cold. I tend to drink iced coffee and hot tea more now. Dates and cream of wheat and crackers taste amazing because I don't eat a lot of carbs

I am approaching a year out and I suggest that you don't buy a lot of anything. It's a bad habit I got myself into. Yes, you want to be prepared, but I am exiting a two month stall because of my newly formed addiction to Quest products (damn, they're awesome!). Instead, I recommend you learn to menu plan and gain a dependency on fresh foods, not pre-packaged items if that is at all possible. Lean meat, fish, and veggies are the way to win, not relying on packaged, processed food.

Like others have said above, your tastes will likely change, or you stomach will. On my pre-op diet I looked forward to my chocolate Fairlife shake. Now they taste awful to me and cause unbelievable gas.