Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A stall already?

I am 10weeks post op. I have been strict about measuring my food, getting my protein/vitamins and I workout 4 days a week. I have been stuck at 189 for 3 weeks and I'm feeling like I'm failing. I have been thinking about going back down to 2oz of Protein per meal but I'm really trying to avoid unhealthy choices. Idk what to do. I have another 40lbs to my goal and I'm terrified I won't make it [emoji17][emoji17].

Sent from my GM1917 using BariatricPal mobile app

most people get that stall at or around the three-week mark - so it's late for you. Don't do anything besides stick to your program and stay off the scale (only weigh yourself once a week or so until you get through this). It'll break and you'll be on your way again. Since they typically last 1-3 weeks, you're likely near the end of it.

Breathe and stick to the plan. Get your Protein in, watch the process. Do not push yourself more - it'll lead to the pendulum swinging the other way. Stay the course.

Oh, and: it'd be helpful if you filled in your stats so people can be more specific. If you're 40 lbs from goal, it really matters if you're 5'11 or 4'11, if you're aiming for BMI30 or BMI20.

Most everybody gets the infamous Week 3 Stall. You're lucky it waited until Week 10. It might last a month or longer, so don't lose hope and just keep doing what you're doing and this too shall pass, I promise.

I am 18 months post-op and have had several stalls. It’s quite common, and can happen at any time.

Edited by Elidh
Clarification

I stalled every second week for the first two months, and the stalls sometimes lasted two weeks. then I'd get one week of weight loss before the next stall. That you made it a whole ten weeks before a stall is really impressive!

As others have said - you just have to ride it out while sticking to the program. There's no one rule for how long stalls last, they just last as long as your body needs them to. They're frustrating and boring, but they do break.

I am 8 weeks out and at the End of December I started my stall. It went for 4 weeks roughly just started weighing my self again and now I am losing again. Like everyone else is saying stay off the scale and weigh once a week. Stick to your plan! It will restart! it just feels like forever until it does.

On 1/31/2022 at 5:46 AM, Smanky said:

I stalled every second week for the first two months, and the stalls sometimes lasted two weeks. then I'd get one week of weight loss before the next stall. That you made it a whole ten weeks before a stall is really impressive!

As others have said - you just have to ride it out while sticking to the program. There's no one rule for how long stalls last, they just last as long as your body needs them to. They're frustrating and boring, but they do break.

omg! I'm 6 weeks post op and I have been dealing with the exact same problem, every second week I have been stalling I didn't know if it was cause I was struggling to have Protein, my caloric intake I was worried I wasn't going to get over the stall too.

I'm also eating 800-950 calories a day is that too much 6 weeks out oh and just before a stall I will gain a pound then stall and then I lose 5 pounds then gain a pound and stall is this odd??

3 hours ago, mhassan321 said:

omg! I'm 6 weeks post op and I have been dealing with the exact same problem, every second week I have been stalling I didn't know if it was cause I was struggling to have Protein, my caloric intake I was worried I wasn't going to get over the stall too.

I'm also eating 800-950 calories a day is that too much 6 weeks out oh and just before a stall I will gain a pound then stall and then I lose 5 pounds then gain a pound and stall is this odd??

That's not odd - pretty much what I've experienced! Eating less calories isn't the answer and I imagine that will just create more problems. Your body needs those calories. Stalls are your body's time-out to deal with the trauma of the surgery and the sudden prolonged severe drop in caloric intake. If anything, upping the calories and exercise has been the best way I've found to break the stalls.

I'm averaging about a kilogram of weight loss a week, which is what I was losing when I was doing calorie counting and exercise the last time I made a decent effort of losing the analogue way - before I finally accepted I needed surgical help.

So I've not experienced the "weight melting off" or "honeymoon period" so many others talk about on here. And while it can get you down, I look at the long term bright side. Slower steadier weight loss is healthy, the number is still going down, and hopefully this means our skin has a better chance of springing back, and our Hair loss will be minimal. Fingers crossed!

If you're eating 900 calories per day, you're losing fat every day. On the other side of the coin, if you lost 30lb the first month, half of that or more, wasn't fat at all. Processes like dehydration and rehydration and inflammation will have huge impacts on "weight loss" but not on fat loss. The fact is, if your body needs 2500 calories in a day to function and you feed it 1000 calories, it will take 1500 calories from fat (or a little of that from Protein stores but mostly from fat). As for "needing calories" - not really.