Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Periods (women only please)

Hi all,

Hope you are all doing well.

I am 5 weeks post-sleeve and take the pill as contraception. I take this back to back and don't usually allow myself a period (this is totally safe).

For the past few days I have been experiencing heavy painful bleeds, do you think this has anything to do with the sleeve or weight loss?

Does the sleeve have any bearing on how medication (the pill in this case) is absorbed by the body?

I would appreciate any help/ advice!

Thank you!!

Many women have messed up periods post surgery. I had breakthrough bleeding for several weeks (on the pill but not on period days of the cycle) in the beginning and a few days out of The next couple months. It took a few months but it went back to normal.

yes - it's related to the surgery. It affects your hormones. A lot of women experience screwed up menstrual cycles (and/or have weird moods) for the first few weeks or months after surgery. Estrogen is stored in fat cells, and the theory I've read is that it's released during rapid weight loss (don't know if the latter part of that is true, but it IS stored in fat cells, and lots of women DO have hormonal issues after surgery because of it). It'll eventually stabilize and things will be back to normal.

I don't know the answer to your second question, though.

Edited by catwoman7

Thank you so much for your replies, I was really worried about it.

It is very reassuring having this forum,

Thanks ladies

This is why they want you on a backup method of birth control (like condoms or an iud) since your contraceptive pill may not work as well for the first year.

Yep, erratic & changed periods post surgery is quite common. As you lose weight, oestrogen (& other hormones, Vitamins, toxins, etc.) stored in your fat is released into your blood stream.

I’m menopausal & after surgery my symptoms disappeared. Yay! (Though on HRT I still had break through symptoms before surgery.) Unfortunately they all came back when I stopped losing - no more oestrogen being released from my fat to offset what want I wasn’t producing anymore. ☹️

I questioned my surgeon about my HRT absorption because a much younger friend was told she’d have to find an alternative to her pill. My surgeon said taking the pill or HRT was not an issue with a sleeve. But it all depends upon where your pill (or any medication) is absorbed. Check with your surgeon or prescribing doctor to be totally certain.

Yes ma'am definitely surgery side effect.

I have an iud and hadn't had a cycle for about 2yr.

After sleeve the cramps were ridiculous and the bleeding was annoying!

On 1/27/2022 at 2:44 AM, Missie21 said:

Yes ma'am definitely surgery side effect.

I have an iud and hadn't had a cycle for about 2yr.

After sleeve the cramps were ridiculous and the bleeding was annoying!

Thank you so much for replying, I was very worried.

On 1/26/2022 at 4:30 PM, ClareLynn said:

This is why they want you on a backup method of birth control (like condoms or an iud) since your contraceptive pill may not work as well for the first year.

I was told the pill was much less effective (not always absorbed fully after surgery) and coupled with the flood of estrogen, fertility is amped up. OB/GYN recommend condoms or IUD.

I just had VSG last week so I’m still learning the ropes. I hope that’s helpful!

11 hours ago, SoCalEm said:

I was told the pill was much less effective (not always absorbed fully after surgery) and coupled with the flood of estrogen, fertility is amped up. OB/GYN recommend condoms or IUD.

I just had VSG last week so I’m still learning the ropes. I hope that’s helpful!

That is really helpful, I am thinking of getting the implant in my arm but ideally would not use anything hormonal.

LOL at *women only please* 😂😂

I think it's fine for guys to learn a thing or two about periods too 😂

On 02/08/2022 at 09:15, DaisyAndSunshine said:

LOL at *women only please* 😂😂

I think it's fine for guys to learn a thing or two about periods too 😂

Not to mention there are people who identify as male or non-binary who menstruate

On 2/8/2022 at 8:53 AM, Ngotsleeved said:

That is really helpful, I am thinking of getting the implant in my arm but ideally would not use anything hormonal.

I would be hesitant to use the implants. They tend to be associated with weight gain, more than the pill. My surgery center didn't say I would have to use additional BC, but I don't have sex, so maybe they didn't discuss it? I know a lot of people have used Mirena (IUD) after surgery and done well with it.

I also used to take BCP continuous cycling because I was sooooo miserable when I had my period. I hadn't had a period in over a decade going into surgery. They told me to stop the pill to reduce the risk of clots. I stopped 6 weeks before surgery. I am now 5 months out from surgery and I STILL haven't had a period despite being off birth control entirely.

(and thank you @pintsizedmallrat. I identify as gender Fluid and that is one of the reasons I worked so hard not to get periods.)

First, I don’t take birth control (i got Mr. fixed lol) so cant really comment in that aspect.

BUT…I went from having no periods before surgery (i thought i was in menopause!) to having a 2 week long period soon after surgery (which was weird cuz my periods never lasted more than 3-4 days) then became clockwork regular ever since.

Im 3+ years post op.