Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Daily calories one month p/o from RNY?

Hello … just wanting to ask the group …. What are you averaging for daily calories post op? I am about one month out from RNY and I eat about 750 calories a day. Four small “soft food” meals. This is keeping me well satisfied with no tolerance issues, but I am falling a bit short of 65g of Protein a day.

I read different articles that suggest a range of 500-900 … I vacillate between thinking I am doing good, and then I get scared that 750 per day is too much.

I am not overeating but I can eat about 2-3 oz. at a time. Please share your experiences.

Thank you!

Hello,

I am also 1 month post-Op and average around about similar numbers. Between 750 to 850ish.

I do get about 75 to 80ish Protein (60 to 80 is my program requirement). So I am good on that front. If you run short of protein try skyr (or ice landing) yogurt. 2/3rd cup has about 20 grams of protein. That and may be Protein Powder (if you're allowed) I am sure it's easy peash to get enough protein in. If no protein powder, do 1 cup of skyr daily (split) and you'll have 30 grams right there and then.

My program had us on 1400/day from day 1 for males, 1200/day from day 1 for females - at 6 months, both go to 1800/day for males, 1600/day for females.

The reasoning being you're going to get to where your body wants to be anyway (new set point), better not get used to 500 cals/day.

Advice vary wildly with this, it'll be great when the science is settled some time in the future :)

Edited by Guest

a lot of people seem to eat between 600-800 kcal/day the first few months (well, other than the first month - which is usually lower), and then gradually increase it. I was eating around 1000 by about a year out. However, there are some surgeons who recommend higher amounts of calories sooner. I would say if you're meeting your Protein requirements, are feeling comfortable, and your weight is trending down, you're fine.

At one month out I was getting anywhere from under 500 to over 1100. I ate a lot of Protein Drinks to get my Protein in. If I didn't eat protein drinks I never got enough. I still don't, and I'm 4 months out. I'm eating around 850-1500 calories a day now (usually around 1000).

My dietician said there is no good research on how much to eat in the first few months after surgery. I would say to try to get your protein and fluids in, minimize sugar, and be active (I have a really hard time with the last one...)

45 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

I'm eating around 850-1500 calories a day now (usually around 1000).

45 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

and be active (I have a really hard time with the last one...)

Hmm ... I wonder why :)

On 1/18/2022 at 1:17 PM, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

Hmm ... I wonder why :)

Actually, it's not the days when I'm flying that I'm inactive. I walk a TON in airports, way more than is strictly necessary. It's the days when I get up in the hotel and go to the site and sit in a room all day then go back to hotel, eat, and go into bed to work or listen to podcasts with nary an extra step. (Today I managed to get up and go to the hotel gym and get on the elliptical, even though the fact that no one besides me was masked totally freaked me out!)

12 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

Actually, it's not the days when I'm flying that I'm inactive

I mean, a fact of human life is we need breaks :) You're doing so well otherwise, don't beat yourself up!

even though the fact that no one besides me was masked totally freaked me out!)

Time to enjoy not being over BMI35 anymore - our risk dropped with the pounds. I caught delta 5 weeks back and I'm glad to have it overwith, and they can come with omicron, too. We're all going to get it anyway, and now we're no longer morbidly obese, so yay us, we'll live.

On 1/17/2022 at 8:51 PM, ladygodiva said:

Hello … just wanting to ask the group …. What are you averaging for daily calories post op? I am about one month out from RNY and I eat about 750 calories a day. Four small “soft food” meals. This is keeping me well satisfied with no tolerance issues, but I am falling a bit short of 65g of Protein a day.

I read different articles that suggest a range of 500-900 … I vacillate between thinking I am doing good, and then I get scared that 750 per day is too much.

I am not overeating but I can eat about 2-3 oz. at a time. Please share your experiences.

Thank you!

The last six months I'm averaging 650-700 calories. My surgeon told me at my 3 month check up that 700 cal is too low to up it to 900-1000 cal but I can't wrap my head around it. 😢 I have this fear that if I go to 900 cal, it'll soon be 1000 cal, to 1200 cal... And more based on my history. I believe that I'll stay around 700 cal until I hit my goal and then increase it to the calorie amount necessary to maintain it. My appetite is still in check and had read that my appetite will increase at the 6 months to a year anyway. Riding the wave.