Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico will do anyone. I know a lady that needed 25 pounds off - as per her I thought she looked great - went to Mexico got it done. So yeah there’s Drs that do it regardless of your BMI or weight loss amount needed.

On 01/19/2022 at 09:01, lizzie320 said:

I have 50 pounds to lose. BMI 29.85 is not low. Sorry I don’t meet your requirement for surgery but if you read the research 30 BMI is acceptable and have actually had better outcomes than higher bmi’s.

I don’t want to wait until I’m morbidly obese because some a-holes on a random website said i should. My weight has been creeping up for years.

I am not nuts people just looking for help.

I would love a referral for counseling from minigastricbypassdude if you are willing to share.

I think you are getting upset at people for just sharing and trying to help you out. Ultimately it is your body and your life. I was mandatory therapy by my surgeon before I had it so if you have a good Dr he/she should have you do that preop anyway. If not I would ask them for a referral or seek another Dr. You need a therapist who understands eating disorders and WLS. I hope the best for you! But be patient with people on here and don’t ask for advice and get angry at us. A lot of people have struggled with weight their entire life - I never did until 2018 when I was in an accident and after a few surgeries and a week in the hospital I was on a year of steroids. I went from 135 to 245 in a year and fought to get it down to 227 before I chose WLS. I’ve lost 30 pounds and am happy with that but frustrated I couldn’t do it myself. So when someone starts off at 300+ and sees you have a BMI under 30 it is frustrating to see you feel you need the surgery rather than do it on your own. I started with 35 BMI today my BMI is 31 - today after surgery on 12/22/2021 and 30 pound weight loss, you are lower than me - see my point? For the most part I feel people on here are very kind but also speak the truth 99% of the time. Again it’s your life and your body but don’t get so angry with all of us trying to help you. Good luck I’m leaving this post. It’s becoming a bit toxic for me I do wish you the best in whatever you choose

I think anyone I could refer would be an entire ocean away from you. And I don't know anyone who's an expert at borderline issues; I struggled with eating as most here do, but I'm otherwise well-functioning.

I truly am sympathetic to your issue, but this is a community for people working their hardest to overcome lifetimes of obesity, eating disorders, and social disconnection. You won't even find the anger here that you're trying to incite.

A true borderline response now would be extreme victimization, no introspection, accusatory tantrums. You're welcome to do that; this comment isn't really for you, it's to try to avoid good people getting manipulated into a situation where you get to yell at them.

Yell at me. Now's the chance. Don't yell at them.

You’re right this is not the forum for me. I sought out help not “incite anger”. Your pals attacked me for reaching out. I’m defending myself . You and your misunderstanding high and mighty ass can suck it. Go on with your little group of haters and don’t bother trying to “help” anyone else.

32 minutes ago, lizzie320 said:

You’re right this is not the forum for me. I sought out help not “incite anger”. Your pals attacked me for reaching out. I’m defending myself . You and your misunderstanding high and mighty ass can suck it. Go on with your little group of haters and don’t bother trying to “help” anyone else.

As predicted. There is help for you, too. It's just not surgery you're looking for.

Hi Lizzie,

I’m in a similar situation. I’m getting gastric bypass in April and my bmi is 30-31. This was recommended by my doctor due to my GERD. You can maintain your weight until then by eating healthy, high Protein Shakes and lifting weights. This will help maintain muscle mass that you will need while you lose the weight.

The rude and inappropriate comments by the jerks were unnecessary and clearly were spoken without thinking. You’ve done nothing wrong and don’t let them believe that for a second. Anyone can lose weight as evidenced by a mandatory liquid pre-op diet (to shrink the liver), but not anyone can maintain it without surgery. This surgery aids not only in long-term reduction from obesity, but long-term reduction in the health complications that come from it. It’s also better for your metabolism and lean muscle mass to have a long-term solution.

I’ve watched many of my patients die from obesity. Do what is right for you and your family per your doctor’s recommendations.

The research I’ve read shows that WLS is an option for those with BMI 27+. I’ve always struggled to keep my weight under 150. I’ve always been chubby. My A1C, my BP, my triglycerides, etc have been increasing along with my weight. COVID hit and the stress from all the changes because of it has not helped. I need to lose 50 pounds now too. Im scheduled for surgery this month. I wish you the best! Check the current research. You don’t need to be morbidly obese to benefit from the surgery. Obese patients are successfully keeping the weight off with lower a1c BP and other comorbidities

I had a lower BMI I was told by many people “ your not fat enough to have WLS@ well I fought my weight for years now I’m at my lowest since I was 24 years old! The weight loss surgery is very successful with people with lower BMI (VSG) best choice I ever made I’ve lost 46 lbs. since my surgery 12/14/21 wish I did it a long time ago! I love not eating much it’s great! I felt same way wondered if I’d loose to much pre op I did put some on wish I’d not thought that way I’d be lower now then I am! It was a mental struggle for a few weeks follow surgeon and don’t follow your own plan there the pro’s ! I finely feel I will be done with my weight for life!

On 1/19/2022 at 5:01 PM, lizzie320 said:

I have 50 pounds to lose. BMI 29.85 is not low. Sorry I don’t meet your requirement for surgery but if you read the research 30 BMI is acceptable and have actually had better outcomes than higher bmi’s.
I don’t want to wait until I’m morbidly obese because some a-holes on a random website said i should. My weight has been creeping up for years.
I am not nuts people just looking for help.
I would love a referral for counseling from minigastricbypassdude if you are willing to share.

Definitely get surgery.

6 hours ago, Pollito said:

Definitely get surgery.

I agree. If insurance would have covered or if I could have afforded it at 30 BMI I would have done it then because I know that I tried every way to do it on my own and couldn’t keep it off. Only you know if you have REALLY tried to lose it the old fashioned way and you say you have. If nothing changes then you are just destined to become morbidly obese eventually. One thing I wish I had realized pre surgery is how much of this is mental though. I think if I knew then what I know now I would have went to counseling first to deal with some disordered eating I didn’t realize I have (I struggle with emotional and boredom eating) but then I would still have the surgery.

My BMI was 35 on the dot. But what BMI doesn't tell you is trend. In the last two years it had gone from 30, and in two years time it would have been at 40. A lifetime of somewhat successful weight loss and control had ended and I found I was simply unable to do it anymore. For whatever reason - I still couldn't tell you but I kept starting diets and periods of control that lasted 4 days at the most. My BMI has dropped under 30 now, 5 weeks post op. I'd also say two further things:

1. There's little in life more unhealthy than obesity.

2. The surgery is, on average, hugely less serious if you have a lower BMI, are younger and in better health/no comorbidities. That's me basically and I recovered very well with no issues at all, no food intolerances or anything. Wait 10 years, wait until your BMI is 10 points higher and you have diabetes, sleep apnea and hypertension and WLS is no longer a joke.

On 1/20/2022 at 12:42 AM, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

As predicted. There is help for you, too. It's just not surgery you're looking for.

Having said that there are predictable responses here and with things I posted in the beginning too

"You need a therapist..."

"Your insurance won't pay if you refused to be weighed"

and a number of others. The reality is, WLS is undertaken by people who are unhappy with themselves and as much as we (primarily Americans) try to science it with BMIs and comorbidities and whatever else, it is fundamentally a personal decision. A person came onto the forum with questions and she got an avalanche of "you aren't fat enough for this" and "this is for us, not you". Says who? You can be a bit thin for WLS perhaps. But you can also be too fat for it - many obese people are instructed to lose weight before surgery and wonderfully so many do it successfully. But how many posts here say "oh, you've done so well losing weight without the surgery, just skip it and carry on doing what you're doing - you can obviously do it"

None, I'd wager. We know the score, that it would be a constant - and in the end unwinnable - battle that would deliver a poor quality of life. Was the OP rude? Yes. But we all know that the mental aspect of all this can have contributed to and be the result of a lifetime battle against the world, real and perceived.

Again, the outcome of this thread is 1:1 what a trail of borderline personality disorder drags with it. It's hard to not bounce off of the outbursts and splitting, but there's really no reason to fight.

Anyway, I was at a children's birthday party, ate two potato chips and felt like I was being throttled from the inside so I'm off to take care of that.