Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve - Post-Op / Ideas-Tips-Chat-Support

Howdy there, today is my 3rd after the day of my surgery. We had planned on having the Gastric bypass done but upon consulting more with my Dr. they performed the Gastric Sleeve. I followed the medical professionals on this opinion. I don't remember anything but waking up and being in overall and in full pain and crying. (It did hurt but I am the biggest baby when it comes to pain.) Since the surgery, I have been taking in 1 ounce of water and 1 ounce of clear Protein Drink every hour. When I am able to I will also take in 1-2 oz of chicken broth. I am on a med for pain, a med for constipation, and a gut pill that I will take daily for at least a year. Thankfully the hic-ups are no longer as frequent the contractions were very painful. I still can not make myself go pee (Thankfully no catheter) I just sit there and wait until "he's" done. I have not had a bowel movement in 5 days. That is a bit concerning, however, I can not apply any internal pressure to assist it anyhow. I am walking as much as I can. I walk down the street to the next-door neighbor's house a few times a day. (always have my phone on me) Sheldon got me a huge walking stick and also tied a rope to it. There were a few times I was on the bed and couldn't get up or reach the stick for leverage. Kinda like a turtle on his back. Just lay there and cry. This will pass and I will get up. Until then the rope has been a lifesaver. I still need assistance to get out of bed or even to a sitting-up position most times. Still need to take the pain meds on a regular schedule though I have been able to increase the time between them. I really want some Mushy food (apple sauce, cottage cheese, etc.) I Can't have that until 1/27/22. Still on the clear liquid diet. Yesterday I spent most of the day in my head regretting this decision and wanting a way out. The strongest feeling I have is honestly, "This to shall pass." I remember when I couldn't take experiences "One Day at a Time" and had to break them down to one moment at a time!!!. Between that knowledge and having the overwhelming love & support from my husband, my family, and all my friends this experience and the pain is all be it slowly getting behind me. (Just moved a little and it HURT like hell. So not so far behind LoL!)

I really want to intake more! My paperwork states that they reduced my stomach from about 60oz down to about 4oz. I guess I have to wait until that heals so then the 4oz pocket stretches to hold more. The times that I injust more than 4oz of Water I burped and it all came up. It still feels weird to feel the liquid go down and make a turn. it doesn't hurt and has no symptoms of leaking so it's just weird. The headaches are rough but thankfully I had some stuff called "Goodys" headache powder it is gross cause it's just like aspirin but powder this way with very little water it's dissolved quickly Sorry for such a really long message. I appreciate all of your posted comments and question with each other they have helped me immeasurably. Be well!

Hang in there buddy. The first few days suck! I had terrible abdominal gas, it took a handful of days before I had a movement, and felt crappy. I had a a shot glass of liquids every 15 minutes. It got easier to ingest as the days progressed. Good news: it’s temporary. Brighter days are ahead. Follow the plan of your medical team… it’s not their first rodeo. All the things you’re thinking are natural. You got this!

22 minutes ago, kmac1 said:

Hang in there buddy. The first few days suck! I had terrible abdominal gas, it took a handful of days before I had a movement, and felt crappy. I had a a shot glass of liquids every 15 minutes. It got easier to ingest as the days progressed. Good news: it’s temporary. Brighter days are ahead. Follow the plan of your medical team… it’s not their first rodeo. All the things you’re thinking are natural. You got this!

Thank you for that! Kinda funny in a way. I've been clean and sober for over 14 years and now I have to take shots every 15 minutes.

Hey whatever works! At the end of the day I got the surgery because “my way” wasn’t working so I embraced the new process! I started this journey 12 months ago at 358 and I’m currently at 183 and am training for my first half marathon! Getting sleeved gave me a second chance at life and I vowed to do things differently and work to be the best version of myself! I have a sneaking suspicion that soon you will look back at this time and realize it was all worth it!

"buyer's remorse" is pretty common the first couple of weeks. I had it, too. But then suddenly, things changed and I was really glad I had the surgery.

also - most people don't have a bowel movement until they're about a week out. Not much in there. That first one can be a doosie, though, so be prepared... (And just so you know, Constipation can be a long-term issue for some of us (not all - but some). I've taken a capful of Miralax every day for several years to keep on top of it. But even for those who don't deal with it long term, it's very common to take a week when you're right out of surgery)

17 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

"buyer's remorse" is pretty common the first couple of weeks. I had it, too. But then suddenly, things changed and I was really glad I had the surgery.

also - most people don't have a bowel movement until they're about a week out. Not much in there. That first one can be a doosie, though, so be prepared... (And just so you know, constipation can be a long-term issue for some of us (not all - but some). I've taken a capful of Miralax every day for several years to keep on top of it. But even for those who don't deal with it long term, it's very common to take a week when you're right out of surgery)

Thanks for that. It helps.

Welcome to the Sleeve Club, Cowboy! This isn't our first rodeo, so to speak, so check out all the forums and posts here to know what to expect, to keep us up on your progress, we're here to support you and share information with you. Congratulations on a successful WLS!

Because of my issues with nausea and acid reflux I had to sleep sitting up for almost 3 weeks. I soon realised it made getting out of bed easier as I didnt have to haul myself out of bed, just scuttle on my bottom to the edge and drop my legs down. I never had a minutes pain or needed pain meds. I wonder if by default I helped my recovery?

I also have a wonderful husband who let me get better in my own time and gave me so much encouragement. Still I doubted that it was the right choice, I had 6 weeks of miserable sickness and nausea, then tada, as if by magic, I can eat and drink and feel like a member of the human race again.

Take your time to heal and recover x You will love your sleeve pretty soon x

When can a take a regular drink? I had the Sleeve done on 1/13 and am currently on the post-op liquid diet. I am doing well with the sips and drinking liquid 1 or 2 ounces at a time. The max I have drunk at one time thus far is 2oz. I feel (and WANT) to drink more. I believe if I drink too much at a time it may "come up" but I am sure there is a middle point. Any suggestions? ?

9 minutes ago, CowboyKurt said:

When can a take a regular drink? I had the Sleeve done on 1/13 and am currently on the post-op liquid diet. I am doing well with the sips and drinking liquid 1 or 2 ounces at a time. The max I have drunk at one time thus far is 2oz. I feel (and WANT) to drink more. I believe if I drink too much at a time it may "come up" but I am sure there is a middle point. Any suggestions? ?

It’s really up to you & what you’re able to cope with. Some say they can go back to drinking several mouthfuls at a time others not. I’m a not - two decent swallows & that’s still it for me but I can take another drink a couple of minutes later. Plus I don’t need to wait 30mins before & after eating - 10 is usually enough. I’d still go slowly to begin while your tummy is still healing - don’t want to strain all those staples & sutures holding it together. Once you’re on solid food, try slowly increasing your intake. Take your time & listen to your body. Actually that’s the best advcice for eating too.

Congrats on your surgery.

15 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

It’s really up to you & what you’re able to cope with. Some say they can go back to drinking several mouthfuls at a time others not. I’m a not - two decent swallows & that’s still it for me but I can take another drink a couple of minutes later. Plus I don’t need to wait 30mins before & after eating - 10 is usually enough. I’d still go slowly to begin while your tummy is still healing - don’t want to strain all those staples & sutures holding it together. Once you’re on solid food, try slowly increasing your intake. Take your time & listen to your body. Actually that’s the best advcice for eating too.

Congrats on your surgery.

Thanks for the info. When you wrote, "Once you're on solid food" that really resonated with me and it all made sense. THANK YOU!

Here is something that has helped me a lot...

I watched an interview with a Navy SEAL trainer, where he talked about people dropping out of SEAL training. Roughly 75% of the people who start the training drop out. He said the people who fail have a "long horizon." They are miserable in this training -- wet, exhausted, hungry, angry -- and the people who fail say to themselves, "I can't handle five more days of this." They think that every moment will be like the one they are currently experiencing and they quit. The ones who succeed and graduate have a very short horizon. "I can make it until dinner break." "I can make it until they let me take a 20 minute nap." "I can make it through sundown." And when they reach that horizon, they set a new short horizon.

Just tell yourself, "I can make it until I take a nap." Then, "I can make it until dinner time." Then, "I can make it until bedtime." Keep giving yourself short horizons until you've gotten through this stage. You can do it!

12 hours ago, Splenda said:

Here is something that has helped me a lot...

I watched an interview with a Navy SEAL trainer, where he talked about people dropping out of SEAL training. Roughly 75% of the people who start the training drop out. He said the people who fail have a "long horizon." They are miserable in this training -- wet, exhausted, hungry, angry -- and the people who fail say to themselves, "I can't handle five more days of this." They think that every moment will be like the one they are currently experiencing and they quit. The ones who succeed and graduate have a very short horizon. "I can make it until dinner break." "I can make it until they let me take a 20 minute nap." "I can make it through sundown." And when they reach that horizon, they set a new short horizon.

Just tell yourself, "I can make it until I take a nap." Then, "I can make it until dinner time." Then, "I can make it until bedtime." Keep giving yourself short horizons until you've gotten through this stage. You can do it!

That’s fantastic @Splenda. Excellent advice that will resonate with many of us. It’s like how we suggest to wait 30 mins when a craving hits - a short horizon.

Thank you for sharing.

I had buyer remorse but it does get easier. Gatorade sugar free was my savior. I’d mix it 1/2 and 1-2 with Water. You’d be surprised how fast you will be able to drink more. The first few days are rough and now I’m 4 weeks out I’m eating real food though soft and I feel human again. My little tummy is pretty happy most of the time now it just really hates all Beans in any form or variety. I still sip Water and let me tell you I didn’t o ce just not thinking and it hurt like hell for a good 10 minutes - not worth it trust me. Take it easy I named my tummy little turd because it has a mind of its own. Kinda helped honestly I mean we go through the pain of having a baby and this baby is so worth it and needs taken care of with this we get nothing. So now I have my little turd who gets taken care of like a newborn (except the name of course.) and when it acts up it’s like a new baby needing something - a drink or a burp. I want to keep it happy and healthy so slow she goes lol Hang in there you’ve got this and watching the weight come down will out the biggest smile on your face - trust me you will be just fine