Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone thanks for letting me join this group. I have had a gastric sleeve February 2020. I had to lose weight of 20 kg before surgery. Since then l have lose only 5 kg. I now have regain this. I have not been given a weight loss diet information pack or Diet plan. I was just told to cut down on my portion sizes. I am extremely frustrated as l don't know what to do. I would be grateful if everyone could help and send me or give advice on what l should be eating. What portion sizes. What l can't eat, how much Water l should drinking, how much Protein l should be eating. Either in powder or shakes. How much exercise l should be doing every day. I really need your help. Also l am always hungry what can l do to stop this. My starting weight was 122 kg, and after surgery 101 kg. My weight today is 106 kg. Your experience would be really appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950F using BariatricPal mobile app

Welcome to the site, Rhianna. There is a ton of good information out here if you explore the various topics in the forums and all of your questions have been address there. Can you go back to your surgeon's office and get nutritional counseling follow-up at this point? My procedure included lifetime support of nutritionist and counseling visits.

To answer your questions: You can eat whatever your body allows. Everybody's body is different. For example, 3 years post-sleeve I still can't tolerate dense foods like bread or pork chops. You should get a minimum of 6 oz of Water daily. Sip all day long. You should get at least 60g of Protein daily. The protein can come from real foods like meat or from Protein Bars or shakes. Doctors recommend all adult humans get 150 minutes of exercise on 5 days each week, which means an average of about 30 minutes a day.

I think @GradyCat means 64 ounces of water!

I agree with what she is saying. Also, one thing many people find helpful is to track your eating on an app like MyFitnessPal. You need to know what and how much you are eating and it's so much easier if you track it in an app.

We were told to limit refined carbs (white rice, Pasta, bread, crackers, etc) and eat very little sugar. We should emphasize lean Protein, veggies, fruits, and complex carbs like quinoa, farro, brown and wild rice, etc.

If you did self-pay for surgery or depending on what country you had it done, you may not get enough support from your surgery center. If that is the case, then try to find a nutritionist/dietician to work with.

Please keep asking questions and good luck!

1 hour ago, lizonaplane said:

I think @GradyCat means 64 ounces of water!

Yes, yes I did. Stupid typos! Thanks. 64 oz of Water.

Yes, yes I did. Stupid typos! Thanks. 64 oz of Water.
Thank you for your advice l appreciate your time.

Has anyone got a 1200 calorie diet sheet that l can follow or a diet plan. The dietitian from the weight loss clinic. Just said cut down on normal food. After four weeks doing liquid soft and puree food. Is there anything research or information on this site. Thanks in advance

I know it sounds like expensive advice, but you could (should) try and find a registered dietician who can support you and help you through this. If your surgery was a while ago you should be able to exercise freely by now….walking is great as it’s low impact on the joints, it’s hard to over do it.

Walking, drinking Water (measure how much and try and get to at least 1.5 litres a day), eat only 3 times a day, log your food using an app, my dietician recommended baritastic, weigh your food (boring but worth it) read the labels and cut right down on the carbs (that is starches and sugars), go hard on the low carb Proteins, don’t eat too much fatty food….try to aim for ??1000/ 12000 calories a day and the weight will drop off in no time.

I feel your pain as I had pretty much the same thing. I realized in the last 2 1/2 years that the reason I wasn't losing weight was because I ate too many carbs. Honestly, I don't worry about portions on anything, I let the sleeve let me know when I can't eat, if you know what I mean. I started Keto 2 1/2 years ago and haven't cheated. It's very easy to stay under 40 -50 carbs a day with all that's out there. Hardest part is giving up good bread (the Keto bread sucks) But there are great alternatives like the low carb tortilla shells, and they are good. I don't drink Water, only diet coke and crystal light. I went from 230 to 178 in less than a year and have stayed at that weight for a year in a half already. Never cheated. BTW, that's with next to no exercising, maybe a walk once in awhile. You've got the sleeve, that's the best start. Good luck. BTW, I posted about my story today and it's in my profile.

There's no shame in having a surgery that didn't give you the hormonal change needed for your body to want to be at a lower weight.

If your eating habits and thoughts around eating are the problem, the solution is fixing your head. After all, we're highly complex individuals doing highly complex tasks day in, day out. Of course we could eat 'right' if all it took was knowing what to eat.

How many people end up on a bariatric forum who haven't done a plethora of diets, restrictions, and calories counting? Really?

I don't believe in any rigid diet structures, because I've yet to see them work in happy people leading full lives. I do believe in flexible control and in adopting a toolbox of behavioral strategies.

Wonderful that it works for a few people for a while, more power to you. But if it stops working, what then?

Thank you for your advice l appreciate your time.

Has anyone got a 1200 calorie diet sheet that l can follow or a diet plan. The dietitian from the weight loss clinic. Just said cut down on normal food. After four weeks doing liquid soft and puree food. Is there anything research or information on this site. Thanks in advance

Do a Google search for bariatric meal plans and that will give you a good idea of what to aim for. There are tons of videos on YouTube that you can watch that show what people eat in a day. This should help you get the general idea of what to eat and avoid. Stay away from fats, sugars and simple carbs like white rice and Pasta. Best of luck to you!

I am 4 weeks post-op and now that I've started incorporating soft foods (apple sauce, yogurt, pudding, eggs) I've stopped losing weight. I seem to only be able to lose on a full liquid diet. It's frustrating because I need to progress to real food. Not sure what to do??!?!?!

2 hours ago, 0 Pounds Down said:

I am 4 weeks post-op and now that I've started incorporating soft foods (apple sauce, yogurt, pudding, eggs) I've stopped losing weight. I seem to only be able to lose on a full liquid diet. It's frustrating because I need to progress to real food. Not sure what to do??!?!?!

If you’re only 4 weeks out it sounds like the “3 week stall” most people go through one. Your body has been through a lot the last few weeks and is trying to recalibrate itself. Just stick with your plan and keep going.