Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here, in pre-op phase.

Hello! New here and going through my pre-op phase. I’ve had 2 appts thus far and they are the monthly requirements from my insurance. If all goes accordingly I will have my surgery date by May 2022.

I’ve researched my options and the PA I spoke with at my last appt suggested either VSG or the Loop DS. She stated it’s entirely my choice and of course the approval from insurance, but I’m having such a hard time deciding. I’ve made a list , pros and cons, and while the Loop DS is more what I’m leaning towards, the effects are what worry me the most.

I’m take meds daily and hold my self accountable for them so I don’t worry to much about being on top of Vitamin intake. I just want to make the right choice. I have been heavy all my life, and I’m not getting any younger. I have a bad knee that I hurt years ago, so working out has been such a challenge lately, especially after 8-12 hour days on my feet. Any suggestions, kind words, info is always welcomed and appreciated. I’ve only had this app 2 days and have learned and read so much helpful info. Can’t wait to continue this journey and getting another chance on a better life!!

yep - it's hard to make a choice. Some people have medical issues that make one choice more appropriate than others, but if you have no such issues, then it can be tough.

generally the more powerful the surgery, the greater the potential for complications, although none of the surgeries done today really have a huge percentage of complications. Most complications are minor, and a lot of people really don't have any at all. The most common issue with malabsortion surgeries like the Loop DS is nutrient deficiency, but then you said you'd be really good at keeping on top of the the Vitamin regimen, so that's not likely to be a problem for you. Most of the people (not all, but most) who have issues with that aren't diligent about keeping on top of their Vitamins. Note I'm using words like "most" and "unlikely". Of course, there's always a chance of serious issues with any surgery (even having your tonsils out!), but if you follow the rules, the chances aren't likely.

my choices were VSG or RNY, because those are the only two my insurance covers, and my surgeon doesn't do any form of DS. I chose RNY mostly because I had GERD (and RNY is recommended for GERD sufferers), but also, I was over 200 lbs overweight, so I wanted to have the more powerful surgery. I was willing to take the slight risk to get that benefit.

I know none of this helps you with your decision, but these are some of things *I* considered when I was going through this. Good luck making your decision - and keep reading as it might make it easier to decide...

Welcome and wishing you success on your WLS journey. You should spend some time reading the different forums here to hear about different people's experiences with which surgery to choose, pre-op requirements, post-op healing, and more. It really gives you a ton more information than your surgeon's office alone can provide and we're here to support you along the way.

8 hours ago, Sissylo85 said:

Hello! New here and going through my pre-op phase. I’ve had 2 appts thus far and they are the monthly requirements from my insurance. If all goes accordingly I will have my surgery date by May 2022.

I’ve researched my options and the PA I spoke with at my last appt suggested either VSG or the Loop DS. She stated it’s entirely my choice and of course the approval from insurance, but I’m having such a hard time deciding. I’ve made a list , pros and cons, and while the Loop DS is more what I’m leaning towards, the effects are what worry me the most.

I’m take meds daily and hold my self accountable for them so I don’t worry to much about being on top of Vitamin intake. I just want to make the right choice. I have been heavy all my life, and I’m not getting any younger. I have a bad knee that I hurt years ago, so working out has been such a challenge lately, especially after 8-12 hour days on my feet. Any suggestions, kind words, info is always welcomed and appreciated. I’ve only had this app 2 days and have learned and read so much helpful info. Can’t wait to continue this journey and getting another chance on a better life!!

I was in a similar boat where my surgeon told me that either RNY or VSG would be fine and left it up to me. I also considered the pros/cons and worried about the effects of RNY.

I ultimately went with RNY because I wanted the surgery that gave me the best chance to lose the most weight. If you know you will be self-accountable for your Vitamins, you have already drastically reduced the chances of long-term bad effects. Obviously, there are no guarantees that everything will turn out OK (and that weighed on my mind when I was on the gurney, waiting for my surgery to start). But long-term complications are relatively rare in people who are committed to taking their vitamins, hitting their Protein goals, etc.

I can also attest that I had a nagging knee injury that has almost completely gone away with my weight loss.

You're on the right path and you're thinking this through clearly. My overall advice/encouragement: if you believe that you have more discipline and willpower than your current physique reflects, go for the surgery that offers the greatest upside -- your discipline/willpower will be a big factor in reducing the downside effects.

I read somewhere maybe on these message boards? That loop DS can cause really foul smelling poop and I think you need to have 100 g of Protein a day. I would verify these things with your surgical team, but if you haven't considered these things, be aware. There is a whole forum here on loop DS. I had sleeve. I was very worried because I thought I had GERD, but I haven't had any issues.

Make sure your current medications won't be affected by the loop DS. I take a lot of meds for bipolar disorder so I was recommended sleeve over bypass so it wouldn't affect absorption. I'm not sure if loop DS would have that issue.

Another thing to consider is that loop DS is a newer, less researched surgery, although, the same could have been said of sleeve ten years ago!