Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

I am 3 months out from surgery (rny). We have the priorities of 1. Getting enough Protein in a day 2. Taking all our meds 3. Getting 64oz of liquids 4. Exercise 5. Three meals a day. How the heck do you balance all this?? I feel like if I do good with one thing one day, I am not doing the others. This clearly takes dedication. But give me some tips and tricks that can help a lady out please. What made you all successful? Thanks in advance!

I'm about 3.5 months out, and have always struggled to eat the amounts of food that my dietician wants me to aim for. It is getting better, though! I'm almost up to a whole cup, which felt impossible even a couple of weeks ago.

My priorities are Protein, Vitamins and Water, and I manage to double up on the protein and water by drinking protein-water which gives me my baseline 60g of protein each day. That frees me up to add extra protein via food and protein-fortified soy milk, without me feeling like I'm a bloated sack all day. I take all my supplements before bed once I know I'm finished my daily water intake.

I try to eat nutritious meals three times a day with varying degrees of success in terms of quantity. I don't beat myself up about it if I don't manage a lot, and neither does my dietician. I'm getting my protein, water, and supplements in and that's the most important thing.

Exercise I do every afternoon in the form of a good walk. Pop my headphones on and out I go. I enjoy this chance to unwind the mind.

Ultimately, don't beat yourself up! I don't think any of us crack on out the gate with perfection. The post-op life has goals and milestones, and so long as you're trying your best, things will improve and click into place.

Heartily recommend the protein water though. Two birds with one stone has definitely made it all a bit easier!

I can highly recommend an 80/20 approach. Do right 80% of the time, don't stress about being perfect.

I've had way too much alcohol (don't worry, not daily or ever alone); I've had weeks where I didn't exercise, I've had days when I went way over my calorie goal, I stopped taking Iron months ago, I have to make sure I don't eat popsicles all day long, every day. Damn, I love those.

And you know what? I got all the way to my goal and beyond. Because this is a long journey, and it's not about perfection. Sure, your team will tell you so-and-so, but nobody does everything right, all the time.

So there's a choice; do everything right for a short time or do some things right for the long haul. Which do you want?

it does become old hat after awhile, and honestly, other than the Vitamin regimen, these are all just healthy habits that everyone should strive to follow, not just WLS patients. But yes - it does take time to get into the swing of things! Like others have mentioned, some of these things you can double up on to hit two goals at once - like making sure your meals are high in Protein. And counting Protein Shakes (if you're still on them) as part of your fluids goal.

Don't worry about getting it perfect, just do the best you can at most of it, like MiniDude said 80%. I never got three meals in a day. I'm not that kind of a girl. I'll get two meals in and two Snacks but not an actual third meal. The exercise is beneficial for your mental health as well as physical health, but if you had to slack on one, this one would be the best to slack on. Protein is easy to get in with Protein Shakes, Protein Bars, and protein-heavy foods. The 64 oz of Water a day takes some getting used to, but once you reach that level it's easy to maintain. Just sip, sip, sip all day long, constantly and consistently. And stuff like broth and sugar free popsicles counts as water/liquids. You can do it, it just takes practice. None of us did it magically overnight.

9 hours ago, Anna3286 said:

Hello,

I am 3 months out from surgery (rny). We have the priorities of 1. Getting enough Protein in a day 2. Taking all our meds 3. Getting 64oz of liquids 4. Exercise 5. Three meals a day. How the heck do you balance all this?? I feel like if I do good with one thing one day, I am not doing the others. This clearly takes dedication. But give me some tips and tricks that can help a lady out please. What made you all successful? Thanks in advance!

I also had RNY (5 months out for me). I built a routine that gets me to the first 4 and sometimes the 5th. Sit down, think about your current routine and how you can build a routine that hits all of your goals.

Here is mine, maybe it will help.

Breakfast: put a Premier Protein vanilla 30g Protein Shake in the blender, add two scoops of Chike Protein coffee powder. Gets me 50g of protein with some caffeine to get me going.

Get to work, take my Vitamins for the day (primarily BariatricPal multi, probiotic, collagen capsules). Sip liquid (water, iced green tea, zero calorie Crystal Light, etc) while working.

Drink another Premier Protein 30g shake (usually banana or Cookies & cream) for lunch.

Keep sipping drinks until I leave work.

Drink another Premier Protein 30g shake on the drive home from work. At this point, I am at 110g protein for the day before I even consider what to eat for dinner.

Eat a reasonable dinner.

Take a long walk (I go a 2-3 mile walk almost every day). Sip some more liquids after I get back from my walk. If I need a snack later, I'll eat some saltines with sardines or canned salmon on it.

I have one month out of surgery. I lost 30 pounds. But however I'm not doing good at all. So far I'm not taking the Protein Shakes at all. I absolutely hate the Protein shakes taste horrible. I keep forgetting to take my Vitamins. I already missed my doctor appointment. I feel horrible I can't eat anything almost everything makes me nausea. I feel depressed and regret getting it done. I miss my normal life where I could eat and enjoy food. My life without feeling sick and nausea. My life where I felt with energy and I felt like myself. I hope everyone is having good results and feeling great.

One lady in my WLS support group loads up her day in the beginning. She puts collagen in her Protein Drink. She has a Gatorade zero when she first wakes up, while she’s still in bed.

I found routines very helpful. Ate at about the same time each day, had a small roster of food options (took away some of the focus on food & I didn’t have to think about what I could/should eat). Knew the Protein content of all my food choices so made it easier to ensure I was getting my protein in. And no I didn’t get bored with a limited menu.

To help with Fluid intake, I drink throughout the night too. Get up to pee, sip. Wake, sip.

As everyone has said: it’s ok if you’re not perfect every day. Things happen some days & you may not get all your fluids or protein in. Protein is still a big focus for me (I don’t absorb it well since my gall was removed). I’m supposed to consume 60g a day. If I only get 50g one day, I aim to get 70g the next so it averages out.

It takes time to work it all out so it fits in with your life. You’ll get there.

For myself: routine

im a teacher so my routine is pretty much set. I have never really been a foodie and I am fine eating the same thing every day….so….I have the same thing for lunch every day (P3 pack and a Greek yogurt). By eating the same stuff every day I am sure to get in my allotted Protein (I’m actually at a lower level of protein than the normal Bariatric patient because of my kidneys).

i have my set recipes that I make for dinner but the air fryer is my friend and I usually just eat two chicken wings, some cheese, and some fruit or veggies. If it’s not chicken wings I make sure my plate is well balanced and small.

exercise: I am terrible and don’t really do this. I don’t because I am on my feet all day long walking and get 10k steps easy, then also come home and take the dog for a walk. And once a week on my “lazy” days I take my kids to the harbor and we walk a couple miles there too. So again, walking is my routine. It’s what I do every day and I don’t need it think about it anymore.

Water: I have one of those Water bottles with times on it. I drink one bottle before lunch. One bottle after lunch. That is 64 ozs of water. As long as I keep to my routine of finishing the bottle it works.

all these things have evolved over time. It didn’t start out like that and I had to push myself to remember stuff and found myself frazzled with all the stuff to do.

BUT: I’m on less medications now than I was before and I take them first thing in the AM. Calcium chewy bite I eat after school because it’s a time between meals.

If you stay consistent it will eventually become a routine and second nature.

(I am about 10 months out from surgery and down to 185pounds. My highest was 330 pounds)

On 1/11/2022 at 6:48 PM, Jennifer ortiz said:

I have one month out of surgery. I lost 30 pounds. But however I'm not doing good at all. So far I'm not taking the Protein Shakes at all. I absolutely hate the Protein shakes taste horrible. I keep forgetting to take my Vitamins. I already missed my doctor appointment. I feel horrible I can't eat anything almost everything makes me nausea. I feel depressed and regret getting it done. I miss my normal life where I could eat and enjoy food. My life without feeling sick and nausea. My life where I felt with energy and I felt like myself. I hope everyone is having good results and feeling great.

I was having trouble with picking out Protein Shake myself. I went on Amazon and bought Ensure Max Milk chocolate and they taste really good to me. They also have milk chocolate with 100gms of caffeine so I have one of those in the morning to help me get going. Something you might want to try.

On 1/11/2022 at 2:34 AM, Smanky said:

I'm about 3.5 months out, and have always struggled to eat the amounts of food that my dietician wants me to aim for. It is getting better, though! I'm almost up to a whole cup, which felt impossible even a couple of weeks ago.

My priorities are Protein, Vitamins and Water, and I manage to double up on the Protein and Water by drinking protein-water which gives me my baseline 60g of protein each day. That frees me up to add extra protein via food and protein-fortified soy milk, without me feeling like I'm a bloated sack all day. I take all my supplements before bed once I know I'm finished my daily water intake.

I try to eat nutritious meals three times a day with varying degrees of success in terms of quantity. I don't beat myself up about it if I don't manage a lot, and neither does my dietician. I'm getting my protein, water, and supplements in and that's the most important thing.

Exercise I do every afternoon in the form of a good walk. Pop my headphones on and out I go. I enjoy this chance to unwind the mind.

Ultimately, don't beat yourself up! I don't think any of us crack on out the gate with perfection. The post-op life has goals and milestones, and so long as you're trying your best, things will improve and click into place.

Heartily recommend the protein water though. Two birds with one stone has definitely made it all a bit easier!

I was going to suggest the protein water as well. Also, the protein doesn't have to be made with as much water - making a roux type consistency to just get that down and then focus on the water. Whatever works though!

I'm still pre-op...

On 1/11/2022 at 9:43 PM, Orinskye said:

(I am about 10 months out from surgery and down to 185pounds. My highest was 330 pounds)

Congrats! You should update your stats!!

I'm about 4 months out from my sleeve--and I've had a lot of bumps along the way (really bad acid reflux about a month in that caused me to aspirate and develop bacterial pneumonia that landed me in the hospital for a week). It's only been in the last few weeks that my diet has resembled my plan, and I still fall short of my Protein goals without planning--I'm supposed to be getting 60 grams and the only way I seem to be able to accomplish that is by supplementing with drinkable protein. I mix Vital Proteins collagen with Mio (18g of protein) and make myself drink it between Breakfast and lunch. whey protein doesn't seem to agree with me, but the collagen supplement is basically tasteless and kind of disappears into the drink.

Establishing a routine and analyzing what will best facilitate it being "easy" for you is key (for instance, I work at home, and I leave my vitamins/meds on my desk so they're in my face in the morning after I eat breakfast). The 30 minutes to drink gets shorter the more accustomed you become to it, and I've gotten in the habit of setting a timer on my phone or Apple Watch immediately after I start to feel full.