Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shopping????

Shopping???

Another thread made me think of this.. Out of curiosity, the people that hate shopping, is it because of the weight?? I know when I was fat I hated to shop.. I hated to see myself in those horrible mirrors and just hated the whole experience. Now that I am thinner and I look great (just kidding) I love to shop for clothes.. Love to try them on.. Or I should say I always have to try them on. Size doesn't mean anything these days, they all vary so much. Sometimes I wear a 6, sometimes and 8. Well, I was just wondering. confused.gif

Shopping???

Another thread made me think of this.. Out of curiosity, the people that hate shopping, is it because of the weight?? I know when I was fat I hated to shop.. I hated to see myself in those horrible mirrors and just hated the whole experience. Now that I am thinner and I look great (just kidding) I love to shop for clothes.. Love to try them on.. Or I should say I always have to try them on. Size doesn't mean anything these days, they all vary so much. Sometimes I wear a 6, sometimes and 8. Well, I was just wondering. confused.gif

I hate clothes shopping because of the weight, but that's not why I hate shopping in general. Don't get me wrong, I love going to the mall during the rest of the year, but not at Christmas-time. Ugh. I hate the crowds, the parking problems, the lines, the rude people. It literally gives me chills down my spine to think about going to the mall right now. ESPECIALLY on a weekend. I went to eat lunch with a friend at Olive Garden, and the restaurant was in a mall parking lot. Took me an HOUR to drive a mile and find parking. Horrible. It's just so much less stressful for me to do my holiday shopping online. I can generally find better selections of stuff and find stuff faster.

ummmm..i hate spending money that i know is ridiculously jacked up. but...i still enjoy it sometimes.

i hate CLOTHES shopping because of my weight..period. when you are 5'2" and 225, with an hourglass shape, there aren't a lot of clothes out there for you. and petite's are even too long for someone with a 26 1/2 inseam..and they don't make well fitting petite fat clothes..that i have found...i have to roll up sleeves on my shirts..haha..i'll be glad when i'm a true "petite"

I hated shopping for myself bc of the weight - nothing looked good. Now I like to buy myself new stuff but bc I'm still not where I plan to be size wise I feel its a waste of money - yet I need the clothes. The up side is that I'm laid off for the winter and what I have will do me pretty good til spring when I go back to work I'll get a new spring wardrobe and hopefully 2 sizes smaller!

As for the malls - I've only been out once and that was on black friday - tomorrow I'm venturing out and hope to finish up with all the major gifts, I'm hoping that since its during the week and early in the day I'll be ok. I also hate the parking and the crowds but I love the shopping. I love going alone so I can take my time, no one is waiting on me and I'm not waiting or looking for someone else, I can browse all I want and feel relaxed and not rushed.

bandster 1007 - just think next year you won't have the problem with petites. I know where you are at, this time last year I was 225 and I'm almost 5'3" - but now I'm around 170 and a very comfy size 12 petite - although my shape is more apple then hourglass! Lucky you!

I hate clothes shopping because of the weight, but that's not why I hate shopping in general. Don't get me wrong, I love going to the mall during the rest of the year, but not at Christmas-time. Ugh. I hate the crowds, the parking problems, the lines, the rude people. It literally gives me chills down my spine to think about going to the mall right now. ESPECIALLY on a weekend. I went to eat lunch with a friend at Olive Garden, and the restaurant was in a mall parking lot. Took me an HOUR to drive a mile and find parking. Horrible. It's just so much less stressful for me to do my holiday shopping online. I can generally find better selections of stuff and find stuff faster.

Pretty much sums up what I was going to say.

Shopping???

Another thread made me think of this.. Out of curiosity, the people that hate shopping, is it because of the weight?? ...

I didn't like it because nothing looked nice on, no fun fat clothes. Sometimes it seemed as though the only clothes they had were Poly & Ester sisters with black and mega huge flowers all over the fabric.

Gahhhhh....

Today I LOVE shopping. I can find cool stuff now vs. the mega flowers from before.

Today I LOVE shopping. I can find cool stuff now vs. the mega flowers from before.

Can't wait until I acheive that again.

Can't wait until I acheive that again.
Ditto. All the fat-lady clothes are for old people. Well, either that, or for tall people. AND I AM NEITHER. :)

Ditto. All the fat-lady clothes are for old people. Well, either that, or for tall people. AND I AM NEITHER. :)

So true, so true. :think

Oh...all clothing is not for tall people...average height...maybe....but not tall people.

Trust me!!!

I will never like to shop because I am a giant...and while some clothing can be altered for petites (I know not all of them)...no amount of tailoring can lengthen clothing...well...except for putting lace at the bottom of the sleeves...you know, cause that looks good! :)

I do, however, like to shop for other people...my sister is an 8...and average height...she's sooo much fun to shop with. I live vicariously through her!

Where are the tall sections at Macy's????

Rain

Hmm. I can't honestly say that I hated shopping pre-op, but I hated trying to find clothes that fit and complimented my blob of a figure. And I hated trying clothes on because I pretty much knew they either wouldn't fit, wouldn't look good on, or were what I was buying because they fit vs. buying because I really liked them.

But even then, I loved the process of shopping.

They say that the right clohes will flatter any body size, but I say bull ponkies. At nearly 400lbs, nothing looks great on you unless the lights are turned off and someone poked out your eyes.

Now add to that I'm just shy of 6', hourglass build, long legs but proprtionately longer torso & upper body. In other words, it was not possible for me two find a two piece outfit unless it was mix & match.

And since we're on the subject of talls... talls seem to be taller now. Even just since last season. I've actually found some average length jeans that fall long enough to wear with flats, and that NEVER happens. And I've found talls that are too long, even with heels. That NEVER NEVER happens. Until now.

It's very hard to buy a pair of men's jeans without going for a specific by the inch inseam. So WTF do we only have 2 choices, when we're MUCH more picky as a whole about pant length than guys are??? Never understood that one.

I always shop from the same online stores for clothes, because I know exactly how they fit (I HATE trying on clothes in the store).. but also, I hate malls. I hate the crowds, and screaming kids, and crappy sales people.

But we went to the mall for lunch yesterday, and I was wearing my new size 19 jeans (which are junior size!) and my ass was lifted and seperated.. I was wearing a designer blazer and had my stylish leather purse.. so I had this new air of confidence.. and I loved walkin in the mall hah hah. DH thought I was being silly, but I promise there were 3 guys that I noticed that wanted a piece o' this! It felt good.

<p>I dislike shopping in general unless I know I will be going somewhere where I will be happy with the selections and choices and prices and so forth. I'm way too picky.</p> <p> </p> <p>I dislike crowds. I hate unhelpful salespeople-- they are worse than not being there. I hate a lack of selection, prices that are ridiculously high, and things being sold out.</p> <p> </p> <p>I had my wedding dress custom made I'm so picky... </p> <p>I would shop online more if I could try those things online. If the virtual model had saddlebags, flab, and cellulite, that might be an option. But they aren't customizable. They fit into things I wouldn't or don't into things I likely would. They have no crepey arm flab or horror, for example, and the body proportions, even with adjustments, aren't the same as mine. They are too like the sizing proportions or something. And sometimes I know just what I want, but I can't find it. Or I don't know but I still don't find it.</p> <p> </p> <p>I'm picky about fit-- I'd prefer things to get close to doing that. About color-- I can only wear just a few that don't clash with my own coloring or look bad on me. Then I would like to like things, things I enjoy or find pleasing. Quality has to be decent. Price shouldn't be prohibitive. So add to this the idea of fashion. Fashion confuses me greatly. I don't understand it or know how to learn about it so that I can understand it. This makes it even worse. Plus I'm picky about sensory stuff like some textures and fabrics and things. </p> <p> </p> <p>I do shop. But I'd rather not. I'd like to have a personal shopper or seamstress I think.</p>

I should add that I shop for occasions, like birthdays or holidays months ahead of time. For Xmas/Yule, I start shopping earlier every year and I am done by Thanksgiving, usually well before then.

Since i have gotten the band i have begun to like shopping a little more. I don`t have to go to the fat section of the store anymore. I can buy regular sizes now. Love that. Donna