Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going back to work

Hi. I had My revision from Lap-Band to Gastric Sleeve on Dec 29. I have to say this is not what I expected (although I don’t know what I expected). I expect some of my problems are hormones, I hope. I loved my band but then the esophagus problems started. It seems all I do all day is try to get my Fluid intake. I go back to work on Jan 12th. My concerns and questions are, How did or do you handle the fluids intake and bathroom issues? At the moment again I’m just drinking (sipping) all day. I have to hold the cup or it seem I zone or distracted and won’t drink. I got dehydrated and had to go to ER for IV. I scares me know so don’t want to happen again. Then the bathroom it’s like bumm, you gotta go (BM). Any advice would be appreciated.

just noticed my old info is still there I can’t figure out how to update

Edited by Lela Clark
Add message

I am 6 weeks post op and am struggling with the same things! I keep my Water right in front of me but if I’m drinking then I am not working (need two hands to type). So I haven’t been getting as much water since going back to work.

Luckily I work from home so at least the bathroom trips aren’t an issue. I’m not sure how I would deal with that in an office…

I work in an office so that is what I am really worried about, typing, fluids and restroom. Since my dehydration/ER visit I am really anxious about this.

You should find the diarrhoea should settle soon but if it persists give your surgeon a call. You could have a temporary intolerance to lactose which is in many shakes. Fortunately there are lots if non dairy options available now. Before long the Constipation begins & that will be a new challenge 😉.

Don’t know if you’re the same but my urge to pee has been more sudden & urgent post surgery & I pee about every 90 mins. I pee a lot at night too but then I continue to drink through out the night. It was challenging when I briefly worked in retail.

At lot find success with remembering to sip by setting an alarm on their phone. Keep your glass/water bottle beside you. Take it with you as you move about the office, to meetings, etc. I found it easier to remember to sip (plus it was more soothing) Hot Drinks. Try a cup of herbal or green tea. Remember all the fluids you consume contribute to your Fluid intake including your shakes.

All the best.

Thank you for the advice. I pee a lot too. I am curious how do you drink at night? I had read somewhere that you shouldn’t drink up to 20min prior to bed. Thank you

14 minutes ago, Lela Clark said:

Thank you for the advice. I pee a lot too. I am curious how do you drink at night? I had read somewhere that you shouldn’t drink up to 20min prior to bed. Thank you

I just keep a bottle of Water by my bed. Whenever I wake (usually to pee 😂) I sip. I usually drink another cup (250ml) of water. Though I can do more than just sip now I can’t guzzle. Two good swallows are my limit so I still have to drink frequently.

A lot of it is just habit now. Get into bed, drink. Wake up, drink. Pee & drink again. Get in the car, drink. Stop at a red light, drink. You’ll develop your own habits too.

I also keep a number of options close by. At the moment I’m working through a large mug of green tea, a glass of still water & a glass of flat sparkling water (unscrew the lid when I put a bottle in the fridge).

The old don’t drink before you go to bed was for bed wetters to limit their Fluid intake. Drinking water is actually soothing to the body - regulates body temperature, lowers your blood pressure, your body doesn’t have to work to digest it, ….

I work as a bartender, so I'm constantly moving and on the go. Like others have suggested always having a Fluid source at an arms reach will be the constant visual reminder for you to drink. Sometimes its hard and I go an hour or so without taking a sip but it's getting easier as time goes on. Also, I usually have an assortment because my taste buds have definitely changed post surgery and can be a little picky so I typically have at least two if not three options (water with lemon, gatorade/crystal light/, maybe a tea/decaf coffee etc)

Working in the office is good because you can take a bathroom break whenever you need to. Don't be self-conscious about it - - go to the bathroom as often as you need to. Keep sipping Water at your desk all day long and if you have to go pee every 20 minutes then do it. Are you having urgent bowel movements too? Those should end soon if so.

I do get urgent bowel movements so that is what I was concerned about. Someone mentioned above about being able to drink more than a sip so that will be helpful. May I ask how long before these changes occur? Also, did any of you experience the hormone changes. I am all over the place. Last night I was in bed crying to my husband what did I do? I know logically I did the right thing cause I have almost gained all my weight back and if I just let the doctor take out the band I would gaine it all back pluse more. Thank you all for the information and advice.

Can’t really help with the bathroom issues but I set alarms on my phone to remind me to drink. Not everytime cause that would be distracting but like every hour and at that point I would assess whether I had been drinking as I should in that hour (if not then hold the water bottle or do whatever you gotta to catch up). Also, if you do get dehydrated again you should be able to call your doctor and have them arrange for you to get fluids as an out patient (you don’t have to go to the ER).

11 hours ago, Lela Clark said:

Someone mentioned above about being able to drink more than a sip so that will be helpful. May I ask how long before these changes occur? Also, did any of you experience the hormone changes. I am all over the place.

The sipping, like the staged returned to eating, is there for a reason, to support your healing. So don’t rush to drink more than a sip to begin. I can’t recall when I could drink more than a sip but it was months after surgery. I think I was able to reduce the time between sips from 5 mins to 2 or 3 after a month or two???

Are the hormones. Now how long that will persist is anyone’s guess. As you lose weight you will be releasing the oestrogen that was stored in your fat hence the fun hormonal roller coaster: the emotions, erratic periods, heavier, lighter, more or less frequent, more or less cramping, etc. I was menopausal & my symptoms disappeared for about 12 months post surgery (was close to my current weight). Even started reducing my HRT but then they all came back ☹️.

You didn't mention what kind of work you do--I worked in a call center at one point and had a need to use the restroom more often because of some digestive issues I was having, and if you've ever worked somewhere like that you know they watch your "unavailable" time like a hawk and can sometimes be jerks about bathroom breaks. I had my doctor provide documentation for me that it was necessary for me to be allowed extra time to use the restroom due to a serious medical issue.

I would speak to your boss (or HR, or your union steward, depending on the workplace and your comfort level) about whether just a doctor's note would be enough or whether you would need to request a Reasonable Accommodation and what forms need to be submitted.

Good luck; I know it sucks to be worried about getting in trouble for something that isnt really something you can help.

On 1/8/2022 at 12:52 PM, Lela Clark said:

I try not to drink before bed or during the night as it can cause reflux. At work you could set yourself a routine like each time you finish a task have a drink, something like that. Have a bottle sitting on your desk too that helps and take sips. Soon enough you will be able to drink more and it all will get easier. But dont stress some days i drink over 2 litres and other days half a litre

I’ve never heard that drinking Water at night causes reflux & I’ve had it for decades. Never advised that at any time either. We’re you told this by your doctor? I managed my reflux successfully by making dietary changes. Avoiding alcohol & carbonated drinks before going to bed I can understand but not water which actually supports digestion & flushing food & acids through your tummy. I wonder if drinking large amounts of water before bed so you’re bloated may not be the best but then most of us can’t do that anyway.

10 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

I’ve never heard that drinking Water at night causes reflux & I’ve had it for decades. Never advised that at any time either. We’re you told this by your doctor? I managed my reflux successfully by making dietary changes. Avoiding alcohol & carbonated drinks before going to bed I can understand but not Water which actually supports digestion & flushing food & acids through your tummy. I wonder if drinking large amounts of water before bed so you’re bloated may not be the best but then most of us can’t do that anyway.

not just water but anything you comsume can cause reflux if you lay down immediatly after consuming it, yes my surgeon told me nothing to eat or drink 3 hours before bed to avoid reflux.