Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2022 Surgery Buddies

Hello Everybody! New to the group and super excited to find one with people going through it at the same time.

My surgery is March 23. Can’t wait!

Did anyone buy nurses gifts for the hospital?

2 minutes ago, kaisyl said:

I never did anything while I was in the hospital other than be kind and treat them with respect. They bust their asses, your patience is greatly appreciated. Especially now while there is such a shortage.

I have sent large trays of food over Holidays and such with nurse friends to feed the staff working through the Holidays.

11 hours ago, Heather517 said:

But I don’t even think I’ve felt full at all since my surgery, and I’m so frustrated watching my family eat normal stuff, and nobody really understands what I’m going through! 😢

We really understand here, because we're going through the same things. You've just been through major surgery which has changed your way of life, and tears are an entirely normal reaction to that. Just remember to treat yourself kindly with lots of loving tolerance, and remember that this is all temporary. A few weeks from now you'll feel like a whole new woman, I practically guarantee.

16 minutes ago, kaisyl said:

I thought about it but the most obvious gift would have been food and with COVID I wasn’t sure if they would be allowed to have it plus I didn’t want to eat it when I got it all together. Thinking back I suppose a big basket of pre packaged goodies could have worked. Not sure about the irony of giving food either. Lol. Maybe a gift card for Starbucks or panara bread.

Edited by ShoppGirl

For those April surgery folks who haven't found "their" thread, here's a link to it:

Good luck! I had gastric bypass on Monday -no complications so far! Have been in a great deal of pain because they kept giving me the wrong kind of pain meds. Finally got percocet and it has helped a lot. Will be going home today, Lord Willing! My very best wishes to you!!

My husband will be home with the kids so I will have to rely on the nurses 100%. I got a bunch of $5 Starbucks cards and stylus pens that say Thank you on them.

15 minutes ago, kaisyl said:

My husband will be home with the kids so I will have to rely on the nurses 100%. I got a bunch of $5 Starbucks cards and stylus pens that say Thank you on them.

That's so sweet!

Tomorrow's my day! Just sitting here waiting for the surgery scheduler to call and let me know what time to be there!

2 hours ago, kaisyl said:

That’s a great idea!

As a nurse, I’ll tell you those mini multi-colored pens that attach to keychains are popular! They always get lost. Scrub caps, dry erase markers, coffee, and krispy Kreme donuts are all popular too.

I got my RNY on Thursday, March 3rd. Surgery went without a hitch and they even fixed my hiatal hernia which was supposed to be very small but turned out it was quite large (no wonder I had stomach acid in my mouth during the night). I stayed in the hospital for two nights (the second by choice because it seemed easier than getting home around 9 pm)

So…I thought the recovery was going to be much easier. Figured I would be back to my desk job by Monday no problem (I work from home part time). Its Thursday and I have not been back. I have six incisions…four I can’t even feel and two are tender. My concentration is minimal and am tired a lot. I had my post op appointment yesterday. The doctor said my incisions looked great but my heartrate was elevated. She asked about my Fluid intake. While in the hospital, I could drink without getting sick and drank when I wanted but since I was on IV fluids I wasn’t concerned. At home, I got in 25 oz the first day, 40 the second and 54 the third. I am supposed to get in 64 oz of 50/50 100% juice/water per day or Gatorade/water. The watered down mixture was nauseating so I have been sticking to just Water.< span> Never thought getting in the liquids would be so hard. I literally have to force myself to drink. My doctor wanted to hook me up to an IV yesterday for a few hours but I swore I would get in my 64 oz (I got in 68). I have been successful with eating popsicles and some warmed chicken soup/broth. Currently, I am supposed to be on full liquids with 4 Protein Shakes per day in addition to 64 oz of water. Since I am having a hard time, she wants me to start slow today and tomorrow before going for the 4 full shakes.< span> Every day is better and I am finally able to sleep on my side in my normal position. I am only taking pain meds to go to sleep and Tylenol the remainder of the day. NO regrets on my part just surprised at the length of recovery time after reading many stories on here. I feel the hard part is behind me. Hope everyone else is doing well!!!

Same! I thought my recovery would be easy peasy, but taking longer than I thought. I don’t feel like doing much of anything. I think I may not be getting in enough Fluid.

59 minutes ago, Flab-U-Less Forever said:

I got my RNY on Thursday, March 3rd. Surgery went without a hitch and they even fixed my hiatal hernia which was supposed to be very small but turned out it was quite large (no wonder I had stomach acid in my mouth during the night). I stayed in the hospital for two nights (the second by choice because it seemed easier than getting home around 9 pm)

So…I thought the recovery was going to be much easier. Figured I would be back to my desk job by Monday no problem (I work from home part time). Its Thursday and I have not been back. I have six incisions…four I can’t even feel and two are tender. My concentration is minimal and am tired a lot. I had my post op appointment yesterday. The doctor said my incisions looked great but my heartrate was elevated. She asked about my Fluid intake. While in the hospital, I could drink without getting sick and drank when I wanted but since I was on IV fluids I wasn’t concerned. At home, I got in 25 oz the first day, 40 the second and 54 the third. I am supposed to get in 64 oz of 50/50 100% juice/water per day or Gatorade/water. The watered down mixture was nauseating so I have been sticking to just Water.< span> Never thought getting in the liquids would be so hard. I literally have to force myself to drink. My doctor wanted to hook me up to an IV yesterday for a few hours but I swore I would get in my 64 oz (I got in 68). I have been successful with eating popsicles and some warmed chicken soup/broth. Currently, I am supposed to be on full liquids with 4 Protein Shakes per day in addition to 64 oz of Water.< span> Since I am having a hard time, she wants me to start slow today and tomorrow before going for the 4 full shakes.< span> Every day is better and I am finally able to sleep on my side in my normal position. I am only taking pain meds to go to sleep and Tylenol the remainder of the day. NO regrets on my part just surprised at the length of recovery time after reading many stories on here. I feel the hard part is behind me. Hope everyone else is doing well!!!

Congrats! I am glad you are doing well overall. Take it day to day, my team told us there is no way we would hit fluid goals right out of surgery but we should be there within a week. Just keep pushing, that's all you can do.

Good luck!

PS: I am from MD too (Baltimore) Where are you located. (If you care to share)

On 2/14/2022 at 11:58 AM, Kelly Sweetheart said:

I've got my date scheduled for 03/24/22 in LV with Blossom. I'm excited but super anxious. I've had multiple surgeries and I always have the vasovagal syncope response whenever I get an IV. oddly enough that IV is more scary than the procedure at present. LOL Congrats to everybody else! Anybody else at Blossom around the same time?

OMG! I have the same surgery date scheduled for blossom! Maybe I will see you there!