Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2022 Surgery Buddies

I have seen some sleeve to bypass posts. Just curious if anybody would share why? I'm scheduled to have a sleeve on the 24th. Is it normal to have to have a bypass in the future. I know those that have had a band are converting, but I didn't realize it was also happening with the sleeve

1 minute ago, Kelly Sweetheart said:

I have seen some sleeve to bypass posts. Just curious if anybody would share why? I'm scheduled to have a sleeve on the 24th. Is it normal to have to have a bypass in the future. I know those that have had a band are converting, but I didn't realize it was also happening with the sleeve

From what I understand there are 2 main reasons.

1. If you have a large amount of weight to loose, they will start with the sleeve and when you max out the potential weight loose they can do a revision to bypass and you kind of "start over" and loose a lot more weight than if you just had the sleeve.

2. Acid reflux/GERD. Apparently it is VERY common to end up with it from the sleeve surgery and sometimes it becomes unmanageable which in turn can cause serious damage so they so a revision to bypass to stop the GERD.

I am only speaking from, what I have read and what my surgeon explained to me.

I have SEVERE GERD so the sleeve was not even an option for me. I am on 2 medications already, and eat tums constantly and have damage to my esophagus already. I need it resolved before I end up with major problems.

6 minutes ago, kcuster83 said:

From what I understand there are 2 main reasons.

1. If you have a large amount of weight to loose, they will start with the sleeve and when you max out the potential weight loose they can do a revision to bypass and you kind of "start over" and loose a lot more weight than if you just had the sleeve.

2. Acid reflux/GERD. Apparently it is VERY common to end up with it from the sleeve surgery and sometimes it becomes unmanageable which in turn can cause serious damage so they so a revision to bypass to stop the GERD.

3. The hormonal/metabolic intervention from cutting out a major part of the stomach, but not otherwise altering the gut hormones, may mean some people's weight set point creeps back up and then you have regain.

Keep in mind, statistically we will gain weight back from our lowest point, I'm very mindful of that clocking in at 192 today. But it does seem sleevers on average gain more weight back, faster.

4 hours ago, Nurse2u said:

Hi all! Anyone scheduled for April?? Just got my date April 19th. Anxious about it all but reassuring to see how others have done and their success. Question- how was the 2 wk prep ? I have very limited plan with basically just 1 meal daily and either a Protein Shake or Protein Bar other meals. Wondering if I will feel starved ?? Also heard after surgery it’s liquids but appetite is decreased anyway. How Did you all do it??

Yes! I’m April 26th. There’s an April surgery buddies group as well. Are you a nurse by chance? I’m an RN.

Hi everyone, I was sleeved 3/1/2022…. Which makes me 8 days out. Any 3/1 people? I got some funny stuff going on with my situation. I was told after day 3 I could go on soft solid. So far, pureeing stuff is my favorite thing to do. Love it so much, but I still feel hungry. I’ve tried chicken so far, and it didn’t go down well. amd sometimes I still feel hungry, and I have yet to know what feeling “full” feels like. Ughhh…. Can’t eat ice because I got braces 4 days before surgery. So literally, my food choices are limited.

On 03/09/2022 at 18:12, Bayangel510 said:

Hi everyone, I was sleeved 3/1/2022…. Which makes me 8 days out. Any 3/1 people? I got some funny stuff going on with my situation. I was told after day 3 I could go on soft solid. So far, pureeing stuff is my favorite thing to do. Love it so much, but I still feel hungry. I’ve tried chicken so far, and it didn’t go down well. amd sometimes I still feel hungry, and I have yet to know what feeling “full” feels like. Ughhh…. Can’t eat ice because I got braces 4 days before surgery. So literally, my food choices are limited.

Hello i got sleeve 3/2/22 and I’m still on Soup broths as my surgeon request for 2 weeks but i understand what you mean , i also have yet to feel full even when i drank a fruit smoothie i still don’t feel full . I haven’t gotten to soft foods yet by i find it crazy that i haven’t felt full not one time

Isn’t that weird? I find it very strange. My dr said I should be on Soups until next week, then soft Solids. I swear, I’ve been told 2 different not things by my dr. Office. I made puréed chili and cheese, was able to sip 6 oz, and finally felt full. That felt amazing.

3 hours ago, Bayangel510 said:

Hey! I’m 3/1… I don’t think I’ve felt full yet either.. so frustrating

Oh awesome! I didn’t know there was an April group. I am still figuring out how to navigate this forum! 😂😂. Yes, I was an RN for years and went back to get my FNP a few years back. Looking forward to this but also a bit anxious…😀

10 hours ago, kcuster83 said:

I am pre op so I don't have any real advise or answers to your questions but I wanted to wish you the best tomorrow!

PS: My surgery is the 21ST! I am soooo excited~

Yay congrats!!! Can’t wait to hear all about it.

I am in tears tonight, well I’m and off all day really. I’m 8 days out and got to start my “mashed” food stage, because I hate the word puréed. But I don’t even think I’ve felt full at all since my surgery, and I’m so frustrated watching my family eat normal stuff, and nobody really understands what I’m going through! 😢

On 03/09/2022 at 22:08, Heather517 said:

I am in tears tonight, well I’m and off all day really. I’m 8 days out and got to start my “mashed” food stage, because I hate the word puréed. But I don’t even think I’ve felt full at all since my surgery, and I’m so frustrated watching my family eat normal stuff, and nobody really understands what I’m going through! 😢

I definitely understand how you feel my friends and family eat regular foods around me and it makes me sad sometimes because i have to be on liquid diet for 2 weeks but just know eventually you will get to eat the same things they eat . Keep trying to find food that you can. Tolerate that make you full that’s what i was told certain light food might not fill you up but meat and cheese dishes might or something similar . So keep trying until you find something and know that we all are going through the same thing it’s very difficult but it’s so worth it.

Hello my peeps, I'm finally back home with my kitties. I had a small bowel obstruction, which thankfully didn't require another surgery. When my surgeon and her NP walked into my room Tuesday morning I said "I want to go home" they agreed and I left a few hours later. Having a NG tube placed sucks!!! Having that tube stay in place for 2 days sucks. Not being able to eat or drink anything except meds sucks too. After 2 days of that, Jello never tasted so good. Everyone at the hospital was sooooo good to me with my initial surgery and readmission. I got to be on the same wing both times.

My belly looks horrible but it's healing nicely. I'm in the itchy phase of healing.

Sent from my Z5157V using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, gabbykittyvsg said:

Hello my peeps, I'm finally back home with my kitties. I had a small bowel obstruction, which thankfully didn't require another surgery. When my surgeon and her NP walked into my room Tuesday morning I said "I want to go home" they agreed and I left a few hours later. Having a NG tube placed sucks!!! Having that tube stay in place for 2 days sucks. Not being able to eat or drink anything except meds sucks too. After 2 days of that, Jello never tasted so good. Everyone at the hospital was sooooo good to me with my initial surgery and readmission. I got to be on the same wing both times.

My belly looks horrible but it's healing nicely. I'm in the itchy phase of healing.

Sent from my Z5157V using BariatricPal mobile app

Glad it got resolved and you're home. I wish you the best on the rest of your recovery.