Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2022 Surgery Buddies

I’ve noticed some of you are having a gastric bypass because of heartburn issues. I do have heartburn and acid reflux occasionally, but I am having the vertical sleeve. I don’t have my scope until the day before my surgery. I think I’m over thinking things because I’m nervous. I don’t want to fly out there and have my surgery postponed/cancelled

16 minutes ago, Kelly Sweetheart said:

I’ve noticed some of you are having a gastric bypass because of heartburn issues. I do have heartburn and acid reflux occasionally, but I am having the vertical sleeve. I don’t have my scope until the day before my surgery. I think I’m over thinking things because I’m nervous. I don’t want to fly out there and have my surgery postponed/cancelled

I doubt they would cancel you. They would most likely just have to rearrange their schedule a bit to accommodate the extra time it takes to do a bypass. As in you would just possibly go at another time of day.

Look at these lovely flowers I just got from my church. A fellow church member just delivered them (I've been watching online in the weeks leading up to surgery). These flowers were in the sanctuary during service then cut down and brought to me along with a lovely card with prayers and well wishes.

Mr Izzy loves flowers, but thankfully doesn't eat them.IMG_20220227_113249.jpg

Sent from my Z6201V using BariatricPal mobile app

On 2/25/2022 at 2:35 PM, Kelly Sweetheart said:

I'm two days after you. March 24th. I just had my phone medical consult. I have a one week diet of 2 Protein Shakes and one meal per day. Reminds me of the Slim Fast commercials.

I have to do 10 days of 6 meals consisting of one Protein Shake and a half cup cooked non-starch veggies or a cup of raw non-starch veggies and a half a cup of fruit. I can also have broth, Jello, popsicles, sugar-free drinks, Water. I start that two weeks from yesterday. I went to costco yesterday and purchased some Gatorade Protein Drinks and some Protein Shakes. 😬 It's starting to feel real!

I have to do 10 days of 6 meals consisting of one Protein Shake and a half cup cooked non-starch veggies or a cup of raw non-starch veggies and a half a cup of fruit. I can also have broth, Jello, popsicles, sugar-free drinks, Water. I start that two weeks from yesterday. I went to costco yesterday and purchased some Gatorade Protein Drinks and some Protein Shakes. [emoji51] It's starting to feel real!
Each milestone you pass will make it more and more real. All my milestones are behind me and surgery day is less than 48 hours away

14 hours ago, kaisyl said:

I got questions.

What are y’all packing in your hospital bags?

What are you planning on doing for entertainment while in the hospital and when back home recovering?

I will be solo at the hospital with no family.

I'm going to pack my phone charger, a robe and some slide on shoes for walking. Chapstick and hair things... toothbrush, toothpaste. My C-pap machine. I'm not really sure what else. Clothes to come home in.

My 15 year-old daughter and I have been watching all the Oscar nominated movies before the Oscars at the end of March... if we haven't finished by my recovery time, we will take that time to catch up. My husband works from home and I homeschool my 15 and 17 year-olds (they will be on spring break the week of my surgery) and my daughter, who is 25 and lives 90 minutes away, is going to come home and "help" for a few days... which really means she is using my surgery as an excuse to come home and see the dog. I have a feeling we will be watching a lot of movies and if the weather is nice, we will be doing a lot of walking around the block.

I'm going to pack my phone charger, a robe and some slide on shoes for walking. Chapstick and hair things... toothbrush, toothpaste. My C-pap machine. I'm not really sure what else. Clothes to come home in.
My 15 year-old daughter and I have been watching all the Oscar nominated movies before the Oscars at the end of March... if we haven't finished by my recovery time, we will take that time to catch up. My husband works from home and I homeschool my 15 and 17 year-olds (they will be on spring break the week of my surgery) and my daughter, who is 25 and lives 90 minutes away, is going to come home and "help" for a few days... which really means she is using my surgery as an excuse to come home and see the dog. I have a feeling we will be watching a lot of movies and if the weather is nice, we will be doing a lot of walking around the block.
Your recovery week sounds wonderful!

Im scheduled for March 12th!

Starting my LRD tomorrow (god give me strength!)

Im really excited to see the weight shift! Im excited to think I will be able to get into my old clothes again - the ones ive been saving because "one day ill get back into that"

But im nervous. Nervous about the recovery. Nervous about the pain. Nervous about having time off work. Worried about my family seeing the weight coming off but not really knowing why.

I know at some point im going to have to have the conversation about my reasons for having WLS - but for now, only myself and my partner know. Im happy about that.

3 hours ago, Starbursts90 said:

Im scheduled for March 12th!

Starting my LRD tomorrow (god give me strength!)

Im really excited to see the weight shift! Im excited to think I will be able to get into my old clothes again - the ones ive been saving because "one day ill get back into that"

But im nervous. Nervous about the recovery. Nervous about the pain. Nervous about having time off work. Worried about my family seeing the weight coming off but not really knowing why.

I know at some point im going to have to have the conversation about my reasons for having WLS - but for now, only myself and my partner know. Im happy about that.

I’m on the 8th. I’m getting nervous about the pain and recovery as well. Telling your friends and family is totally your choice. You can just say that you are losing weight for your health using high Protein, low carb. Good luck to you.

I’m on the 8th. I’m getting nervous about the pain and recovery as well. Telling your friends and family is totally your choice. You can just say that you are losing weight for your health using high Protein, low carb. Good luck to you.
When I had my sleeve the first few hours were the worst part, but that's when they have the best drugs available to help. Once I got comfortable in a bed the pain got better and then got a whole lot better after I got moving around. I'm hoping my revision Tuesday goes about the same.

MARCH 21ST HERE!!! Super pumped up and ready.🤩

My pre-op diet starts on the 11th, but that falls on a Friday so I think I am going to start it sooner. I have always felt like sticking with diets, or healthy eating over the weekends is harder so I feel this will be the same. I think starting during the week and getting into a groove before hitting the weekend will be beneficial for me. Good luck to all of us!

20 hours ago, UniqueHandle said:

I have to do 10 days of 6 meals consisting of one Protein Shake and a half cup cooked non-starch veggies or a cup of raw non-starch veggies and a half a cup of fruit. I can also have broth, Jello, popsicles, sugar-free drinks, Water. I start that two weeks from yesterday. I went to costco yesterday and purchased some Gatorade Protein Drinks and some Protein Shakes. 😬 It's starting to feel real!

It definitely feels real to me. I've already paid and booked my flight. No turning back now. LOL

I am starting to purchase those items as well. I admit. I'm going to miss my soda stream,.

Somebody mentioned a surgical abdominal binder. It's supposed to help with gas pain. I don't know where to get one though.

2 minutes ago, Kelly Sweetheart said:

It definitely feels real to me. I've already paid and booked my flight. No turning back now. LOL

I am starting to purchase those items as well. I admit. I'm going to miss my soda stream,.

Somebody mentioned a surgical Abdominal binder. It's supposed to help with gas pain. I don't know where to get one though.

Any medical supply store or Amazon.

I've done a lousy job with the two-week LS diet, and I'm extremely nervous that my surgeon won't operate. I'm constantly telling myself that worrying won't help, he'll either proceed or he won't, all I can do now is be super-strict about the no-solids-for-48-hours-prior rule.

So, I cheated on my 2 week liquid diet on Saturday and now the scale is back up 4lbs that didn't drop after going back to the diet full force Sunday. My advice, don't go off it. I only had a bowl of egg drop Soup and a salad at PF Changs and here I am regretting it. In my opinion, it is not worth it to go off the 2 week diet - because it feels really good to see the scale moving down ( I was going down 2 solid lbs. a day before). This diet is totally doable.

Best of luck to everyone!