Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Help!! Feeling my weight loss has slowed down...stopped.

Hi Peeps,

I had my Gastric bypass (RnY) on Aug 17. My stats are as follows.

SW: 302 lbs

Height: 169 cm.

CW: 227 lbs.

Total lost: 75 lbs

Exercise: Walking 10km daily

However, I'm feeling I'm not losing fast enough. Plus I've fallen off track with the festival season...been gorging on sweets, cakes and food.

Just lost 8 pounds since November 15th.

I'm worried that I'm going to ruin this. Any tips on how to lose faster as well as break this food addiction...can't seem to stop eating and feeling guilty after.

Would really appreciate the help. Please help guys!

Thank you.

I got surgery around the same time as you. I've lost 70 total, and that includes 11 lbs during pre op. To me, your numbers seem good especially considering you also started at a lower weight than I did. I had two months where I lost 8 lbs each month, which was disappointing but only because I had overly high expectations. 8 lbs is still 8 lbs gone and not a gain. I actually had to add more calories into my diet, and that jump started my loss rate again.

Having said that, you mentioned gorging on sweets, cakes and food. Are you tracking? Do you know how many calories you are actually eating? If you aren't tracking, then a first good step would be to start doing so, as accurately as you can, to see where you really are at and then determine steps to shake things up.

weight loss slows down a lot the farther out you get. My first month I lost 16 lbs. Then for the next six months or so, I lost 8-12 lbs a month. After that, I dropped down to about 5-8 lbs a month. And after the first year, it was like two lbs a month. This happens to almost everyone. The closer you get to normal weight, the slower and harder it is to lose.

I remember going to Weight Watchers meetings before I had weight loss surgery. I used to mentally roll my eyes at these women who were only slightly overweight moaning about how hard it was to lose 10 lbs. Yea - right. Try losing 100+ lbs. But now I totally get it!!

btw - I agree with the above poster. If you're straying too far from your clinic's plan, then get back on it. Track everything. If you're committed, you WILL continue to lose weight. I lost for 20 months.

Edited by catwoman7

There are a few things you can rely on during the weight loss phase. One is that your rate of weight loss will slow as you progress. For many of us the month are the hardest because they’re the slowest in terms of weight loss.

You’re still losing about a pound a week & this is fine especially considering you’ve been indulging lately.

Stopping the indulging & getting back on plan is up to you. You know what you should be doing. Get the temptations out of your house if you can. Before eating ask yourself why you are reaching for food. Are you truely hungry or bored or seeking comfort. Do you need to eat or just want to. Then look for something to distract yourself. Read, watch tv, do a craft, go for a walk, clean out a cupboard, check your social media or this forum, etc. Sip on a glass of Water or a cup of tea. Often waiting 30 minutes before indulging is enough for the desire to disappear.

Good luck.

Thank you for your feedback.

My problem is that I'm unable to get back on track. Most of my eating happens to be just because I like the taste of the food and not because I'm actually hungry.

I feel like I'm in a downward spiral out of control.

How do you guys cope with something like this. How do you get back on track. How do you improve your life :(

You've lost 70+ pounds in 4 months and you don't think that's fast enough? That's FANTASTIC!!!! You're doing fine. Your weight loss is going to slow as you get smaller and that's perfectly normal. 8 pounds is still good in a month.

My (unsolicited) advice is: (1) be realistic. you're doing GREAT, quit beating yourself up. (2) talk to the counselors as your surgeon's office or a private therapist about your food issues with head hunger and eating issues.

But be kind to yourself. You've GOT THIS!

2 hours ago, TheBusierBee said:

My problem is that I'm unable to get back on track. Most of my eating happens to be just because I like the taste of the food and not because I'm actually hungry.

Two things:

- Emotions: definitely talk to someone about why and how you eat. Doing a journal with food + emotions for a week or two will be insightful, but reach out to someone.

- Mitigation: we tend to really fall off the wagon if we have no strategies in place. I think I have literally 250+ Snacks in my house at the moment that are better than saying 'oh f* it, I'm just going to have ice cream then'. That way, I never really fall off the wagon because there's always something to catch me (a Chocorite chocolate bar, light popcorn, popsicles, popped cheese ... you see where I'm going with this).

We're all human, we can't be perfect. But sometimes, we can be a little better than 'disaster'. :)

You definitely need to get with your NUT and SX. This is something they can help you gain control of. My first step would be to purge your home/car/office of ALL unhealthy food. Throw them out. You can't eat what you don't have/buy....

I agree with throwing out the JUNK and tracking and distracting yourself.

Can you go two hours without snacking? What about a day without sweets?

I like distracting myself with solitaire on my phone or calling my mom or drinking hot tea. What about a hobby that keeps your hands busy? Crafting, knitting, cleaning, etc. Or get up and take a walk or do a youtube exercise video when you want to eat.

You've got this!