Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had gastric bypass surgery December 6 2021. I regret doing the gastric bypass surgery. I haven't seen any significant weight loss since I did the surgery. I'am not losing anything I'm not happy. I feel like I wasted my time getting the gastric bypass. I'm eating healthy but nothing is changing I feel stuck.

Its only been a month. Give it time and stick to it.

9 minutes ago, Jennifer ortiz said:

How long does it takes to see any difference

Based on the study conducted by the University of Michigan, the average weekly weight loss of gastric bypass patients is around 5 to 15 lbs for the first two to three months. It starts to taper off to 1 to 2 lbs a week after six months. You should know that the rate of weight loss depends on the individual’s age, health, and starting weight.

In addition, weight plateaus occur during the weight loss. However, if it lasts more than 6 weeks, then adjustments should be made. It is best for you to work with a dietician during this period.

1 hour ago, seadoo2021 said:

Based on the study conducted by the University of Michigan, the average weekly weight loss of gastric bypass patients is around 5 to 15 lbs for the first two to three months. It starts to taper off to 1 to 2 lbs a week after six months. You should know that the rate of weight loss depends on the individual’s age, health, and starting weight.

In addition, weight plateaus occur during the weight loss. However, if it lasts more than 6 weeks, then adjustments should be made. It is best for you to work with a dietician during this period.

no one loses 15 lbs a week for the first 2-3 months. There might be *one* week out of that 2-3 month period where a few people might lose that much (although I've been hanging out on bariatric boards for about seven years and have never heard of anyone losing that much in a week - so if so, they'd be outliers - unless, of course, they started out the size of someone on "My 600 lb Life"). It's really pretty unusual for us "normal" WLS patients to lose more than 25 or 30 lbs the first month, and then it drops after that. It seems like most of us are somewhere in the 15-25 lb range the first month - but again, there are always a few who lose more than that (maybe 30 or so lbs). But 15 lbs a week, no - or at least I've never heard or read about anyone who's lost that much.

someone else quoted that MIchigan study on here a year or so ago, and those of us who have been hanging out here for a few years found it pretty unbelievable. I think the five lbs a week they quoted isn't unusual at all - but 15 is a huge stretch. Maybe it's just the wording they used (??). If so, too bad - because that can - and probably does - get misinterpreted.

to the OP: I lost 16 lbs the first month, and I started out at almost 400 lbs. I'm not sure how much you've lost or what your expectations are, but I do think a lot of people's perceptions and expectations are based on shows like "My 600 lb Life". But you have to keep in mind that those people start out MUCH heavier than your average WLS patient.

1 hour ago, Jennifer ortiz said:

I lost 23 pounds in two weeks after surgery I started at 270 but now I have one month and one week and haven't lost anything more after that

23 lbs in two weeks is actually phenomenal. You are ahead of the curve. It was probably six weeks before I'd lost that much.

you're probably in a stall right now. Most of us have our first major stall during the first month or so after surgery. It's called the "three week stall" because it's usually the third week, but not always. Typically lasts 1-3 weeks. Just stick to your plan and stay off the scale for a few days. As long as you follow your plan the stall the break and you'll be on your way again.

if you want to read more about this, search this site for "three week stall". Last time I checked, there were over 17,000 posts on it. And no, I am NOT kidding. It happens to almost all of us.

Edited by catwoman7

2 hours ago, Jennifer ortiz said:

I lost 23 pounds in two weeks after surgery I started at 270 but now I have one month and one week and haven't lost anything more after that

here - I just did the search for you (on the three week stall). 17,501 posts at the moment:

https://www.bariatricpal.com/search/?q=three week stall

It has to be a stall. Y just stick to your plan and you will start losing soon.

Well, I'm sure someone has posted this, but I have always heard that, on a severely restricted diet, after a few weeks, the body actually "thinks" it is starving, and slows down your metabolism. In olden times, when there was a famine, it was the way your body helped you to survive longer on less food! So it's natural. You will start losing again.

I had gastric bypass surgery December 6 2021. I regret doing the gastric bypass surgery. I haven't seen any significant weight loss since I did the surgery. I'am not losing anything I'm not happy. I feel like I wasted my time getting the gastric bypass. I'm eating healthy but nothing is changing I feel stuck.

I kinda felt the same when I had my VSG in October 2021. I had lost like 16 lbs and stayed that way for a while, eventhough I felt I was eating appropriately. Keep in mind that this a tool, so u still have to work hard to lose the weight. I've felt I've had to work extra hard, more than others. But u gotta keep going. I would say log everything u eat ans measure everything. It's possible you're not eating enough or eating too much. I found was eating only like 400-500cal. A day. U would think I'd be dropping weight like crazy but I wasn't. I pushed myself to eat at least 800-1000 calories daily and I've been losing weight a little more steadily. Also bring your concerns up to your nutritionist & surgeon.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

Just now, Jennifer ortiz said:

I think the problem I'm having is that I'm not eating enough calories. Plus I'm also not taking any type of Vitamins or either taking my Protein Shakes. I have tried every Protein shakes available on Amazon. I hate them all I don't like the taste of Protein Shakes makes me want to gag.

Is it because they are too sweet? Because I had that issue and I had to do the clear Protein Drinks until I found the cafe latte by Premier Protein. It has caffeine In it though just fyi.